Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NaOH solution frozen
mrbillr Offline

NaOH solution frozen
This mornings temperature was 24 degrees F. I thought I had a fairly strong solution of 5 1/2 tablespoons per gallon. Note, this is tablespoons and not teaspoons. However, the solution was frozen solid this morning. So based on the previous links for an NaOH solution to protect from freezing, a 20% to 25% mixture is necessary to get the freezing point down to -15 degrees F.
Water weighs 8.34 pounds
So a quick and dirty calculation, that would make it about 1 3/4 pounds NaOH to 1 gallon of water.

I have a PWM to install so I plan to up my mixture, install the PWM and start fine tuning to the new mixture.

Hope everyone else is able to stay warm.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
12-16-2008 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bassman Offline

RE: NaOH solution frozen
mrbillr Wrote:This mornings temperature was 24 degrees F. I thought I had a fairly strong solution of 5 1/2 tablespoons per gallon. Note, this is tablespoons and not teaspoons. However, the solution was frozen solid this morning. So based on the previous links for an NaOH solution to protect from freezing, a 20% to 25% mixture is necessary to get the freezing point down to -15 degrees F.
Water weighs 8.34 pounds
So a quick and dirty calculation, that would make it about 1 3/4 pounds NaOH to 1 gallon of water.

I have a PWM to install so I plan to up my mixture, install the PWM and start fine tuning to the new mixture.

Hope everyone else is able to stay warm.

When I went out this morning, the temperature was 17 degrees and I happen to remember that one of the first cells that I built was in a glass jar and the vehicle stays outside. I went out and popped the hood expecting the worst and to my surprise, it didn't even have ice crystals in it. The best I can remember, it had like 4 teaspoons in a quart jar. I don't think that I will worry about that one anymore.
12-16-2008 08:28 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Sorry to hear about the freeze, that's yet another reason to live in Arizona Laugh !

Maybe this could be a possible solution for you?
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2593

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
12-17-2008 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrbillr Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:Sorry to hear about the freeze, that's yet another reason to live in Arizona Laugh !

I suppose that would work if I had a 1/4 mile extension cord. I park it at the barn and there is no electricity out there.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
12-18-2008 08:56 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

mrbillr Wrote:
RDKamikaze Wrote:Sorry to hear about the freeze, that's yet another reason to live in Arizona Laugh !

I suppose that would work if I had a 1/4 mile extension cord. I park it at the barn and there is no electricity out there.

Hahah holy crap! Well uhh, maybe you could wire it to the car so that it turns on with the generator so it warms up faster?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
12-18-2008 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply