Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Narrow Band EFIE Dual Analog vs Digital Quad
cabrera Offline

Narrow Band EFIE Dual Analog vs Digital Quad
Aside from the obvious of being able to connect 4 O2 sensors, what is the differences between the Narrow Band Dual Deluxe Analog & the Narrow Band Quad Digital?
I am looking in terms of use, functionality, installation etc. Since they are both the same price what would be the benefit of one over the other.
I currently have the Narrow Band Dual Deluxe Analog in my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.0 Liter V6.
Is it worth upgrading to the digital?

HHOSportTrac- The Project
21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell
05-26-2010 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

RE: Narrow Band EFIE Dual Analog vs Digital Quad
If I am not mistaken you probably have four O2, two pre cat and two post cat. The quad digital is great to handle the two front to lower the mv's and the reading does not jump around like the dual deluxe. The same goes for handling the rear O2. The adjustment is precise. I use a lot of them on my installs.

With Ford's the rear sensor adjusted to 250-285mv's you yield great result. The front lowered to 250mv's.
05-26-2010 05:29 PM
mike Offline

Hi Cabrera,

Additionally, the digital EFIE is our best circuit for upstream sensors. It works on a different principal than analog EFIEs and most other digital EFIEs. You can see how it works in this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

The main reason we recommend the Quad Digital is because of that circuitry. It's just a better circuit for controlling air/fuel ratio than other types of EFIE.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2010 08:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cabrera Offline

(05-27-2010 08:34 AM)mike Wrote:  Hi Cabrera,

Additionally, the digital EFIE is our best circuit for upstream sensors. It works on a different principal than analog EFIEs and most other digital EFIEs. You can see how it works in this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

The main reason we recommend the Quad Digital is because of that circuitry. It's just a better circuit for controlling air/fuel ratio than other types of EFIE.

Hi Mike,
I have been happy with the analog unit so far, I guess what I'm trying to get is justification for spending another buck on a new one. What expectations should I have of the digital unit? What additional benefit will I see over the analog unit. If I was making the initial purchase, the choice would be simple, but given the fact that my analog unit is a year or so old & I just got around to installing it, I need to ask how will it add to my system now that it is already setup?
Thanx

05-27-2010 08:46 AM
mike Offline

Possibly none at all. If you're getting 35% or better mileage improvement, its probably not worth the money. Just use the digital on new installations.

However, as koya1893 pointed out, the older style EFIEs don't hold their voltage as precisely, and you might need to adjust it for winter vs summer due to temperature instability. Its just the nature of that design. But that design has been THE design that has been making HHO work for over a decade now. There's no need to throw them all out now that we have the digital.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2010 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cabrera Offline

(05-27-2010 09:19 AM)mike Wrote:  Possibly none at all. If you're getting 35% or better mileage improvement, its probably not worth the money. Just use the digital on new installations.

However, as koya1893 pointed out, the older style EFIEs don't hold their voltage as precisely, and you might need to adjust it for winter vs summer due to temperature instability. Its just the nature of that design. But that design has been THE design that has been making HHO work for over a decade now. There's no need to throw them all out now that we have the digital.

Ok, Thank you for you honesty. It's good to see that someone stands behind all their products not just their "latest & greatest."

One more thing since I have your ear. My analog EFIE on one side will not increase past 345mv. Does this mean that the pot may be going? I know that it is maxed out since I am using a jewelers screwdriver to adjust it and I can "feel" that it has topped off (it gets a snug feel).
I am afraid of pushing past this point as I don't want to break anything.

What do you think?

05-27-2010 11:08 AM
mike Offline

First of all, you shouldn't need to go over .345 volts. Its pretty rare that a voltage that high works. But, that being said, it doesn't mean there's a problem with the pot. It means that it was calibrated incorrectly. You can calibrate it to have any maximum voltage you want (up to about 4 volts). We usually set them up for .45 - .5 volts as their maximum. You can of course send it in and we'll take care of it for you. But you can also handle it there in the field without uninstalling it. The procedure is found here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/RangeAdjust.html . It's pretty simple to change it.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2010 09:09 AM by mike.)
05-27-2010 01:37 PM
cabrera Offline

(05-27-2010 01:37 PM)mike Wrote:  First of all, you shouldn't need to go over .345 volts. Its pretty rare that a voltage that high works.

Boy you're not kidding.
I set my EFIE to 340mv and the truck did not like it at all!
It threw 2 DTC codes (0133 & 0153 Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response) and it ran sluggish.
I backed them off to around 310mv (it fluctuates between 307 & 312 mv)

What I think I'll do is when I am ready to install a unit in my wife's 2002 Elantra, I will use this analog EFIE for the 1 upstream & 1 downstream it has, and upgrade the Ford to a Quad Digital so I can also manipulate the downstream sensor.

Mike and Koya, thanks for all the help.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2010 02:31 PM by cabrera.)
05-27-2010 02:30 PM
cabrera Offline

Koya since you have a lot of experience with Ford installs, what have you found to be the best mv setting for an analog EFIE on a Ford 4.0 ?

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2010 10:14 AM by cabrera.)
05-28-2010 04:43 AM
cabrera Offline

I don't usually put 100 miles in a week but for testing purposes I have been using the Trac to take my son to school. Since I saw the Hess station had gas for $2.45/gal. I decided to fill up. I put 98 miles on the Trac.

With a setting of 275mv as a base to the O2 sensors, driving only local, the Trac averaged 13.9 mpg which was 2.7% less than my mpg with the EFIE set at 350mv which was 14.3 yet better than my base mpg of 13mpg. If you recall at 350mv the Trac ran like crap.

Now I guess it's a matter of tweaking.
I raised the base mv to the O2 sensors to 300mv. The truck still runs smooth with no loss in power or performance.

I will post in another 100 miles what my findings are.

As a footnote, I did note one thing, at idle she seems to burn more gasoline & less hydrogen. I am wondering if I should T the Hydrogen line with a check valve and run a feed directly to the intake manifold. This will allow the the Trac to feed on more hydrogen at idle.
anyone have any thought on this?

06-03-2010 06:54 AM