Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need Advice on My HHO System
forrestc Offline

Need Advice on My HHO System
So I did some research, built my mom a working brown gas system and then decided I wanted to put one in my 2002 Jetta. I opted to follow the Smack Booster design rather closely. The only thing that is different is the plate arrangement due to me being slightly lazy. I have attached a picture of my booster outside and inside. My booster is located in my trunk due to the fact that newer cars have no space in engine compartment. I do not have my bubbler or one-way valve attached because I am not sure the suction from the air intake creates enough pressure drop to pull the gas through. I have also attached a picture of my air intake. The tubing runs underneath my car right up into engine compartment. I am running the unit with a 16 amp draw across it, using NaOH electrolyte. I put a spacer on the first oxygen sensor to try to fool it, but I am not sure it worked. Before the unit my car got 31 to 33 mpg on highway, and with the unit on it got 32 mpg on a run. Now that I have given my background on the setup I have some questions.

After running the unit I see condensation in the tubing, meaning gas is moving through it. Anyone have experience with running the unit out of their trunk? Should I be worried about not having the bubbler for scrubbing? If I should have it, does one think there will be enough suction to pull the gas through?

My plates are slightly brown. Could this be due to using bottled water? I really don't know where to get distilled water easily.

I am going to buy an EFIE. My car has one o2 sensor before and one after the cat. Do I only need to change the sensor reading from first o2 sensor?

And lastly has do anyone have an advice about using rubbing alcohol in the solution to increase performance?

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2008 11:14 AM by forrestc.)
07-10-2008 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cheapfuel Offline

RE: Need Advice on My HHO System
Use distilled water or rain water.
07-10-2008 12:12 PM
bwilson11 Offline

forrestc Wrote:So I did some research, built my mom a working brown gas system and then decided I wanted to put one in my 2002 Jetta. I opted to follow the Smack Booster design rather closely. The only thing that is different is the plate arrangement due to me being slightly lazy. I have attached a picture of my booster outside and inside. My booster is located in my trunk due to the fact that newer cars have no space in engine compartment. I do not have my bubbler or one-way valve attached because I am not sure the suction from the air intake creates enough pressure drop to pull the gas through. I have also attached a picture of my air intake. The tubing runs underneath my car right up into engine compartment. I am running the unit with a 16 amp draw across it, using NaOH electrolyte. I put a spacer on the first oxygen sensor to try to fool it, but I am not sure it worked. Before the unit my car got 31 to 33 mpg on highway, and with the unit on it got 32 mpg on a run. Now that I have given my background on the setup I have some questions.

After running the unit I see condensation in the tubing, meaning gas is moving through it. Anyone have experience with running the unit out of their trunk? Should I be worried about not having the bubbler for scrubbing? If I should have it, does one think there will be enough suction to pull the gas through?

My plates are slightly brown. Could this be due to using bottled water? I really don't know where to get distilled water easily.

I am going to buy an EFIE. My car has one o2 sensor before and one after the cat. Do I only need to change the sensor reading from first o2 sensor?

And lastly has do anyone have an advice about using rubbing alcohol in the solution to increase performance?

YOU ONLY HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE O/2 SENSOR IN FRONT OF THE CAT
07-10-2008 12:37 PM
Gary Offline

You have incorrectly wired the smack brick in series; will work, but not as well.
Suction is not how the gas gets there; pressure from the expanding gas is.
Front of the cat as Wilson said.
Do you have a dehumidifier? That makes distilled water. Your grocery store carries it for about a buck a gallon. Sometimes much less.
Use a bubbler just before the intake not for scrubbing, but for a flashback arrestor in case of a spark from an intake valve. More important; scrubbing is an extra.
07-10-2008 02:32 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Bottled at WalMart or other grocery store, perhaps?

forrestc Wrote:My plates are slightly brown. Could this be due to using bottled water? I really don't know where to get distilled water easily.
07-10-2008 02:34 PM
azzad Offline

Im worried about people running these units in the boots of their cars as the boot isnt isolated from the inside of ur car. Might cause some interesting explosions.

Dazza
07-10-2008 02:51 PM
Gary Offline

Don't ride in the back.
07-10-2008 03:45 PM
stevekos7 Offline

Gary Wrote:Don't ride in the back.

Producing HHO in the boot has 2 disadvantages. Firstly, the gas has to travel further so the delay will be longer before the HHO gets into the motor. Second, you have much more gas in the system, so there are more potential dangers if there is an ignition. Much better installed under the hood. There are some nice small generator designs around that can fit almost anywhere - I would try one of those.
07-14-2008 09:29 PM
Gary Offline

Disagree, in part. The gas gets to the engine quite fast on mine; a series unit with a 1/4" hose to the bubbler next to the intake. Plenty of room for a tall bubbler, with hose coming from underneath. The MPG savings are coming from driving down the road over time, not the couple seconds of delivery. And if you have a good unit; it starts right up.
Total area of my gas IF something got miraculously thru the bubbler, is 8'x1/4" (the hose), or 2cu.in., and 5x8x3/4" in the unit top, or 30 sq.in. -and that has a blowout valve on it, so all in all, 32 sq.in. is about 1/4 of a balloon. Not very destructive coming out of a blowout hole.
The real danger is in leaks in the trunk. You need to be very sure there are none. Ventilation would be nice if possible, since HHO disperses at an amazing rate, unlike other gasses.
07-15-2008 04:21 AM