Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need Better Plate design
comrevkr Offline

Cool Need Better Plate design
Hi guys. I am on my second build right now and with 7 plates I am still getting less than .5 lpm. Need a better plate design or one that works and flows better than the one I got now.
Need a good plate to get up to the 2 lpm I need for my engine.
What do you suggest?

Cool
1994 Mazda B3000 3.0L V-6
400k+ miles and still going strongBig Grin
09-20-2009 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
biggy boy Offline

RE: Need Better Plate design
(09-20-2009 03:33 PM)comrevkr Wrote:   Hi guys. I am on my second build right now and with 7 plates I am still getting less than .5 lpm. Need a better plate design or one that works and flows better than the one I got now.
Need a good plate to get up to the 2 lpm I need for my engine.
What do you suggest?

Welcome to the forum!!
Is this a wet or dry cell? you have!

2001 GMC Sierra 4.8
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2009 05:56 PM by biggy boy.)
09-20-2009 05:55 PM
comrevkr Offline

It is dry cell, I never liked the wet cell set up for my truck. my goal is 30mpg with the ac going.Right now it is 22mpg w/ac. I have done a lot of mods to it and more to come. Truck is not only a daily driver but my toy as well. As of right now my cell has 7 plates (-nn+nn-) and I and going to do a third build. I make my on plates, I just need a good layout. size is no problem. I see so many and I need to know which works the best.

Cool
09-21-2009 12:53 AM
biggy boy Offline

(09-21-2009 12:53 AM)comrevkr Wrote:   It is dry cell, I never liked the wet cell set up for my truck. my goal is 30mpg with the ac going.Right now it is 22mpg w/ac. I have done a lot of mods to it and more to come. Truck is not only a daily driver but my toy as well. As of right now my cell has 7 plates (-nn+nn-) and I and going to do a third build. I make my on plates, I just need a good layout. size is no problem. I see so many and I need to know which works the best.
How many litres is your motor?

For my 4.8 ltr motor I'm building a 18 plate unit.

+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn+
That configuration is (3) 6ix cell units in parrelel.
That works out to roughtly 2 volts per cell.
With this number of neutarls plates the gen will run cooler.
Here's where I go the design from:
http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/

Glen

2001 GMC Sierra 4.8
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2009 03:57 AM by biggy boy.)
09-21-2009 03:56 AM
comrevkr Offline

:blush:What I meant is how is the plate drilled for better flow of gas. The layout I understand. How the plates are made is my concern. Dry cell is the only way I am going. I got a lotof people I work with watching the results to see if this is the way they want to go. I commute 100+ miles a day round trip and mpg is top priorty. I hope I clarified my question. How are the plates laid out to make. Right now I have a 10% gain but I want more.Wink

Cool
09-21-2009 01:50 PM
comrevkr Offline

Wink RE: Need Better Plate design
Well guys I changed from baking soda to Naoh. Now I have filtered well water and will change to distilled with the new build. I checked my system now to .5L per min. better than it was but at 12 to 15 amps.
On the bench water temp was 115 degrees F. Unit located behind bumper below Radiator. Ace hardware had the rooto 100% lye crystals. will change to koh later. I work in a sheet metal shop, I am waiting to find the right design for my plates I am going to make. The ones I have now are 4in sq. with 2- 1/5in holes top and bottom. If my holes are too big or too many, I could use the help. Some one tell me what to try and I will see if I can git'r done. Wink

Cool
09-22-2009 03:40 PM
abe Offline

(09-22-2009 03:40 PM)comrevkr Wrote:  Well guys I changed from baking soda to Naoh. Now I have filtered well water and will change to distilled with the new build. I checked my system now to .5L per min. better than it was but at 12 to 15 amps.
On the bench water temp was 115 degrees F. Unit located behind bumper below Radiator. Ace hardware had the rooto 100% lye crystals. will change to koh later. I work in a sheet metal shop, I am waiting to find the right design for my plates I am going to make. The ones I have now are 4in sq. with 2- 1/5in holes top and bottom. If my holes are too big or too many, I could use the help. Some one tell me what to try and I will see if I can git'r done. Wink
Biggy Boy was trying to help you with his suggestion of BB smack cell. Try his site on http://www.youtube.com/user/eletrikride he will show you how to build his new cell. Your not going to find a better cell anywhere.Good luck let us know how it works out (Gen V build 1,2,3,4)
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2009 05:43 PM by abe.)
09-23-2009 05:41 PM
comrevkr Offline

Sad Thanks Abe, but just had system failure. End plate cracked with new juice. I just made new plates yesterday. 4in sq octogon using 3 1/5 o-rings. need to find new material for end plates and where do you find that soft pvc sheet at? BB's smack design looks great and it answered some questions. Will consider it on next build. I just don't have much time to watch vid's working 2 jobs and taking care of everything else. That's why I ask the questions I do. But what I have seen are great. in Hurry right now. Gotta go to work. But hope to have new gen on bench for testing sunday evening. 21 plates. 5 power plates. any suggest on sequence, will give them a whirl while on the bench. Thanks guys for your help and ideas. Ken Smile

Cool
09-25-2009 01:04 AM
abe Offline

(09-25-2009 01:04 AM)comrevkr Wrote:  Sad Thanks Abe, but just had system failure. End plate cracked with new juice. I just made new plates yesterday. 4in sq octogon using 3 1/5 o-rings. need to find new material for end plates and where do you find that soft pvc sheet at? BB's smack design looks great and it answered some questions. Will consider it on next build. I just don't have much time to watch vid's working 2 jobs and taking care of everything else. That's why I ask the questions I do. But what I have seen are great. in Hurry right now. Gotta go to work. But hope to have new gen on bench for testing sunday evening. 21 plates. 5 power plates. any suggest on sequence, will give them a whirl while on the bench. Thanks guys for your help and ideas. Ken Smile

Yea, I had a lot of trouble with end plates too.I had trouble with cracking with plexaglass and warping with other plastics so I went to 1/8 steal end plates.If you instulate between the end plate and cell it wont 't short out and you can tighten it down good and tight so it won't leak. I cleaned and painted the end plates so they look nice. If you put - on the outside their no worry.
09-25-2009 08:48 AM
comrevkr Offline

Wink I got my plates made and gaskets cut. End plates this time will be out of heavy cutting board. Will cut and drill tomorrow, Weather nasty today. Once done, I will run it on the bench for about 2 hours to check the heat. I drive for an hour one way each day. So that should give me a good idea of heat before I see how much gas it produces. 21 plates, 16 neutral at .040 thick and 5 power plates at .060 thick. We will see.Hmm

Cool
09-26-2009 01:12 PM