Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need EFIE Advice
TODSHO Offline

Need EFIE Advice
Hi all
Been messing around with HHo for about a month now on my 02 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6. I have a hybrid cell running about 7 amps and running cool.Not sure about LPM as I have no way of measuring yet, still working on that. CTS is set at +10deg and switched. IAT is set at 200 deg and adjustible. MAP enhancer voltage is offset to 4.85 V.
Quad EFIE from hhoelectronics installed.
Now my problem. I am having a hard time getting my fuel trims set correctly. LT trims are high, about 9-15...ST trims are +or-3. When cruising, LT trims are high (12-15) till I hit a hill then they go down to 8-10 up hill. Going down hill they go up! Seems backwards to me.
I shut down the MAP enhancer to try to lower the trim no's to no avail. Leaned out the EFIE down to 200mv, any lower and I loose power. I was actually running at 300+mv with better results.
I'm running out of ideas and getting sick of going up and down.
I travel 80mls round trip to work, mostly interstate with some hills along the way, so a pretty good mix of driving conditions. Going up hill, my instant economy tanks. My best has been 5mpg gain (18mpg normally)
Any ideas please? Thanx Sad
04-23-2012 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Need EFIE Advice
(04-23-2012 09:30 PM)TODSHO Wrote:  Hi all
Been messing around with HHo for about a month now on my 02 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6. I have a hybrid cell running about 7 amps and running cool.Not sure about LPM as I have no way of measuring yet, still working on that. CTS is set at +10deg and switched. IAT is set at 200 deg and adjustible. MAP enhancer voltage is offset to 4.85 V.
Quad EFIE from hhoelectronics installed.
Now my problem. I am having a hard time getting my fuel trims set correctly. LT trims are high, about 9-15...ST trims are +or-3. When cruising, LT trims are high (12-15) till I hit a hill then they go down to 8-10 up hill. Going down hill they go up! Seems backwards to me.
I shut down the MAP enhancer to try to lower the trim no's to no avail. Leaned out the EFIE down to 200mv, any lower and I loose power. I was actually running at 300+mv with better results.
I'm running out of ideas and getting sick of going up and down.
I travel 80mls round trip to work, mostly interstate with some hills along the way, so a pretty good mix of driving conditions. Going up hill, my instant economy tanks. My best has been 5mpg gain (18mpg normally)
Any ideas please? Thanx Sad

Re MAP Enhancer: You say your voltage offset is 4.85V. But the whole voltage range of a MAP sensor is 0-5V. So, I'm not sure what you've got going there, but what you've reported won't work. I suspect I'm not understanding exactly what you actually have.

You probably need to read up on fuel trims, so that they won't seem mysterious. You can check out this article: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info .

Basically, positive fuel trims means lean. The computer is seeing a lean mixture and is therefore compensating by adding fuel. This is most effectively handled with an EFIE. Very high positive trim numbers means you need to increase the EFIE which will tend to compensate for the apparent "lean" condition. Its not really too lean. But HHO makes it appear lean to the ECU.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-24-2012 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TODSHO Offline

Hi there
The MAP voltage was decreased from the reference voltage of 5v down to 4.85v. It has since been shut down and back to factory spec.
Thus far, I had my greatest gain at a higher EFIE voltage, about 300mv plus, but fuel trims are still high and I am at a stand still. I will read the article and see if I can learn something more and let you know...thank you for your reply.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2012 10:12 AM by TODSHO.)
04-24-2012 10:05 AM
TODSHO Offline

The article confirms my thinking. If the trims are high, the computer wants to add fuel to richen the mixture. Low trims, the computer wnts to take away fuel to lean the mixture. Precisely why I want to get closer to "0". That way the computer won't have to add nor take away..making mileage more consistant rather than up and down which is what I have now.
On my way to work, I might get 24mpg...on the way home, I might get 20...same road, just different direction and cooler temps which I know is a factor, I just want to close the gap between the two to a consistant mpg. No matter if I lean the mixture or richen it, there is little change in the numbers or economy. I am at a stand still at 5 to 6 mpg gain.
04-24-2012 02:44 PM
mike Offline

What kind of EFIE are you using? The reason I ask, is that a FuelSaver-MPG Digital EFIE gets leaner as the voltage set point goes lower. 300mv would not be a very aggressive setting. However, with analog EFIEs 300 mv is pretty high, and might possible be causing the ECU to ignore the sensor's data. Sometimes it will do this without throwing a check engine light.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-25-2012 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TODSHO Offline

Its an hhoelectronics digital quad EFIE. Its set up the same as the Fuelsaver model, lower voltage equals leaner limits on the digital side.
I have been doing more adjusting. I now have my LT fuel trims under 9 and milage is becomeing way more consistant. I am now getting a consistant 25mpg instead of the fluxuating 19 to 24.
I lowered my IAT temp by 10 deg and still not useing the MAP enhancer. To date I have gained
7 mpg. Approx. 38% increase and still tuning!
04-25-2012 09:14 PM
mahaboobkhan786 Offline

(04-25-2012 09:14 PM)TODSHO Wrote:  Its an hhoelectronics digital quad EFIE. Its set up the same as the Fuelsaver model, lower voltage equals leaner limits on the digital side.
I have been doing more adjusting. I now have my LT fuel trims under 9 and milage is becomeing way more consistant. I am now getting a consistant 25mpg instead of the fluxuating 19 to 24.
I lowered my IAT temp by 10 deg and still not useing the MAP enhancer. To date I have gained
7 mpg. Approx. 38% increase and still tuning!

can u please let me know the exact voltage of your efie. i fixed my efie at 210mv and my cars fuel economy is not consistent.need help asap.
Thanks
04-26-2012 07:35 AM
TODSHO Offline

I am currently running at 190mv on the front and 210mv on the rear. I am still tuning so these numbers are not definitive. It seems the closer I get to "0" LT trims, the more consistant my milage is. Still working on more gains though.
04-26-2012 08:51 AM
mike Offline

It sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know how your mileage ends up, and the setting you used to get there.

If you decide to use that MAP Enhancer, don't set it very aggressively. Or, at least, be prepared to set it less aggressively. If you adjust too many sensors, the computer can't do it's job very well. I never use them... but having said that, let me know if you get additional gains, and if the engine still runs properly. I'll be interested to hear your results.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-28-2012 02:01 AM
TODSHO Offline

I sure will. I have learned not to be agressive with adjustments..unfortunetly the hard way. Small incriments at a time!
04-28-2012 12:24 PM