Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help (I'm new)
Walrusman101 Offline

Sad Need help (I'm new)
Hello everyone!

I built a 8 by 6 inch 7 plate dry cell (+nn-nn+). My electrolyte is KOH. Im using a 12 volt car battery for my power source and am drawing 8-9 amps. My production rate is around 20 second per 100ml of gas. Im new to this and would like to know how to get more production. Should I try a different configuration? What should my target amps drawn be? Also what is the point of the neutral plates?

If possible, include an explanation to why it would improve my gas production that would be great!

Thanks so muchSmile

-Walrus man
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 01:47 AM by Walrusman101.)
04-09-2016 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Need help (I'm new)
Yes, definitely change that configuration. You want 5 neutrals. You can just not connect to the center terminal and that will do it. Connect + and - to the 2 outside plates. You want +nnnnn- . That is the best config as it gives approx 2 volts from plate to plate. This is the most efficient range for making HHO.

Then you'll need to add more electrolyte as your plate to plate voltage dropped. Add electrolyte until you get the number of amps you want.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-12-2016 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Walrusman101 Offline

I tried the -nnnnn+ but it was much slower at the same KOH concentration and lower amperage. Do i have to keep adding KOH until I get like 20 amps? Should I just keep adding until i get a liter per minute? Why does my current config -nnn+nnn- work much faster with lower amps? If I get a power supply with 30 amps do I just set it to somehwere around 20 and adjust the KOH concentration until I get the most production?
04-13-2016 02:29 PM
Walrusman101 Offline

Quick update:
So I was testing the -nnn+nnn- config and it drained the car battery I was using. (BTW Im not planning on using this cell in a car, I just want to make HHO) So I understand how the -nnnnn+nnnnn- configuration would be more energy efficient. Just to make sure, to get to my desired amperage I just need to increase the KOH concentration?

My question still remains, if I were to use a variable power supply instead of a car battery, would I just set it to the amperage I want and not care about the KOH concentration? Or should I just experiment at a set amperage (Ex:30 amps) and change the KOH concentration until I reach a plateau.

Again thanks so much for your help!

Walrusman
04-13-2016 05:35 PM
mike Offline

Yes, that's exactly right. The best efficiency is achieved with the lower plate to plate voltages, but that also means you need more KOH. Just keep adding it until you get the amps you need.

If you are not using a PWM, then the only correct way to adjust is by KOH. Once you get the amps you want, leave the KOH alone. Now the problem is that the amps will change as the cell warms up. It will change as the amount of water goes down in the reservoir (causing the KOH concentration to increase). You'll want to top off the reservoir with distilled water only at frequent intervals to maintain the same concentration. You'll have to shoot for an average amps level - lower at startup when the cell is cold and higher when the cell heats up.

Again, a constant current PWM takes care of these fluctuations and to get the best efficiency, you'll eventually want to get one.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-15-2016 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Walrusman101 Offline

1.So if a pwm controls the amperage, could I just change the voltage of my power supply when the cell warms up. I do not have a variable power supply but I still have a nob that allows me to decrease the voltage from 13v to 0. Would that solve the problem?

2.Also, I don't understand how the water from the reservoir would increase KOH concentration. Are you saying when I mix the KOH with the water in the reservoir, as that enters the cell, it will increase the amperage? That I would understand.

3.After the KOH enters the cell it will stay there correct? Therefore, I would only need to add distilled water after that.

Sorry, I have so many questions!

Thanks Mike!
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 05:56 PM by Walrusman101.)
04-15-2016 05:43 PM