Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help (stubborn 5.3l)
live45 Offline

Need help (stubborn 5.3l)
New here!!!!!!! Have been playing with HHO for about nine months. Finally installed a home built system that uses a 21 plate dry cell with a resevoir on my 04 chevy z71. Also built a stainless cooler to combat overheating and steam. After three months of driving, no gain!!!!!!!! Installed a map sensor enhancer, o2 extenders, double o2 extenders, and even unplugged them with no gains. Tried different combos, not all at the same time. HHO is injected two inches in front of throttle body. Generator puts out measured 2LTRS per minute measured gas, cold start at 24 amps. Cant figure this out. Tried disconnecting battery for a relearn on the computer. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK!!! Any suggestions from anyone please. Have been told to vacuum on these engines.This has become an obsession and I refuse to give up!!!!!!!
11-01-2008 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Need help (stubborn 5.3l)
Hi.

If it was my vehicle, I'd cut back the amperage to no more than 20 amps warm. (You don't have a lot of weight, you shouldn't need 2 LMP and all that load on the alternator comes at a MPG cost.)

I'd turn down the map enhancer to a low level, like about a 10% increase and retest mileage. If you get so high the engine stumbles, you're waaaay too high.

Also I'd brush all the connections with soapy water to check for leaks.

I'd get rid of the extenders since they usually don't help and can hurt mileage.

Introducing into vacuum is for advanced users and you're asking for trouble, (like sucking all your electrolyte into your engine or a vacuum leak).

If you still don't get any gains, check to see if an efie will work for your vehicle. You'd need a narrow band o2. You can email Bruce here for info on your o2 sensor type: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2065

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-01-2008 07:15 PM
live45 Offline

I understand the function of the EFIE and have thought about purchasing one. However, I did unplug my o2 sensors for giggles and all I got was a CEL. After driving about 100 miles, MPG was the same. Thought mileage would be worse. Have been told my truck has about 5 or 6 sensors that take over for calculations. Also read about tricking MAF and IAT sensors. Several of my friends and co-workers have tried HHO on their gm's. Four had no gain and two lost mileage. I seem to be the only lone-ranger left in my group as they have given up or believe it is bunk. I am open to all suggestions because I have two of these 5.3's, one in my heavy foot wife's SUV. I saw a brag section at this forum for mpg gains. I would love to get there, prove friends wrong, and start sticking it back to OPEC.
11-02-2008 06:58 AM
colchiro Offline

Sounds like you have a nice cell so the potential is there. I have info on the sensors stuff in my Tuning for Mileage link. Sorry, I assumed the Z71 was a Camaro.Gasp Still, I'd try to keep it under 20 amps hot.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-02-2008 08:05 AM
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

The problem you have is the same as mine. Your vehicle computer is crippled from the factory. Specifically, the injector pulse width won't shorten.

You may be lucky though. If you can find smaller injectors...

I may pull all my mods off and just run the Hydroxy unit as a standalone. I figure if I can't make it get better MPG, then I'll fix it so I can have more power, then hypermile after that.
11-02-2008 03:57 PM
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

PS get yourself a K & N air filter
11-02-2008 03:58 PM
live45 Offline

ZOLAR, did you try the EFIE that was suggested earlier, if yes or no, why or why not. Also, have you also heard about vacuum HHO for these engines. Got one piece of advice lately, fellow told me to put a ford emblem on it.. WHAT!!!?????
11-02-2008 04:24 PM
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

LMAO. If I put that on my wife's chevy, I would be sleeping in the doghouse.

Yes, I have been using an EFIE for about 6 months now. And MAP mods, and IAT mods, and even tried an O2 sensor extender.

NOTHING will give me better MPG.

So, I'm going to try making more Hydroxy. Perhaps I'm not making enough.

I tried the unit on vacuum, regular intake, and split between the two. Again, NOTHING made a difference.

I tried many different configurations, many different amp draws, etc. and still nothing.

I may pull all my mods off and just run the Hydroxy unit as a standalone. I figure if I can't make it get better MPG, then I'll fix it so I can have more power, then hypermile after that.
11-02-2008 05:38 PM
live45 Offline

Sounds like a reprogram of the computer would be the ticket. I hate that option , friends see results on some fords and dodge trucks without major mods. Makes me a little green with, well, you know. HEY, i'm happy for them. However, I bet someone out there has the answer. Too many people working on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11-02-2008 05:50 PM
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

The dealer will re flash the computer - for a price.

And that would still be at factory specs, not what I want.

And as soon as they see the unit hooked up, they'll give me grief about it.
11-02-2008 05:57 PM