Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Dry Cell Design on My Side Car
BroBob1 Offline

New Dry Cell Design on My Side Car
Check out my new Dry Cell and Reservoir all in one package.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1304]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1303]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1302]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1301]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1300]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 06:00 PM by colchiro.)
10-13-2009 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: New Dry Cell Design on My Side Car
Nice lookin' cell, Bob. I'm concerned about the longevity of the zinc and brass parts tho.

What kind of output you getting? (LPM, AMPS)

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-13-2009 06:11 PM
BroBob1 Offline

(10-13-2009 06:11 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Nice lookin' cell, Bob. I'm concerned about the longevity of the zinc and brass parts tho.

What kind of output you getting? (LPM, AMPS)

Thanks Rick, I have this set up for 10 amps on the sidecar, but I have bench tested this unit @30 amps and its making a 3" long flame on the torch. I have not tested it yet for LPM but I will!
I'm thinking about installing 2 Marine batteries in the trunk of the sidecar in parallel with the bikes battery and running the cell @ 30 amps for some serious output! My only concern would be the bikes charging system being overworked, but if I use it intermittently it might not be a problem, What Do You Think?
10-14-2009 01:57 AM
colchiro Offline

I think I'd try to find out what the max output of your alternator is and initially shoot for the 1 LPM per liter of engine displacement and see how much current that is (hopefully closer to 5 amps).

I think the alternator is going to be the limiting factor. You don't to fry it in an attempt to save a couple MPG.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-14-2009 03:42 AM
BroBob1 Offline

Rick how about I install 2 Deep Cycle marine batteries in the trunk of the sidecar, connected in parrallel for 12 volts and tie it into the bikes 12 volt system with some kind of isolater (regulator), so that the HHO will only run off the 2 Deep Cycle batteries and therefore not burden the bikes charging system, and when the HHO is off and the bike is running it will charge the 2 Deep Cycle batteries and there will also be an onboard charger hooked up to plug into any 110 volt outlet for recharging when the bike is parked.
I did a test with another dry cell, running it directly off a 12 volt battery for an hour straight and I was getting a 3" long flame from a torch that I made, running it at 30 amps and the dry cell was only mildly warmed up.
The battery was rated at 565 cold cranking amps ( nothing compared to a Deep Cycle and I plan on running 2). At the start of the test the battery was reading 13.3 volts, and after an hour it read 11.7 volts and that torch was still cranking out a 3" long flame.
When I stopped the unit the battery recoverd to 12.2 volts! I was impressed and think this might be the way to go with the sidecar rig! What do you think?
10-15-2009 10:48 AM
colchiro Offline

While that might work and not have any issues, if it was my setup, I'd determine the max current your alternator is rated and what your cell will need. If you're only drawing 5 (or 10) amps, you might not need to do anything. Deep discharge batteries are expensive and if you don't need them (and the weight), so much the better.

Rick

10-15-2009 12:37 PM
jbalat Offline

Bob are you willing to share your design for that unit ? Looks pretty cool !
10-15-2009 02:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BroBob1 Offline

Sure! I have 6- 3"x6" SS plates (304) (+nnnn-) with 1/8" spacer gaskets between the plates. I used 1/2" thick HDPE plastic sheet and as you can see in the pictures,I built a containment on the top side to incorporate the Reservoir using Plumbers Goop and SS self tapping screws with the bottom of the reservoir on the inside with the sides and top attached to the outer edges for additional capacity.
The SS plates have 2- 1/2" holes drilled top and 2- 1/2" holes drilled on the bottom for maximum circulation. If you look at the pictures starting at the top you see fittings at the top of the reservoir going into the top of the generator, a level indicator in the middle of the reservoir, and then you see fittings in the bottom of the reservoir feeding the bottom of the generator.
On the top you see a fill point in the front, an output pipe in the center, and a vent in the rear. On the back at the bottom of the reservoir you see a drain valve. This unit can be made in any dimension.

(10-15-2009 02:41 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Bob are you willing to share your design for that unit ? Looks pretty cool !
10-15-2009 04:36 PM
laicyer Offline

it same too com
06-07-2010 06:06 PM