Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Fed Regs to Outlaw Any Fuel Mods?
retmil46 Offline

New Fed Regs to Outlaw Any Fuel Mods?
Ran into another gent at work tonight. He was interested in looking at the MB and seeing the water vapor injection system I had rigged up. He has a diesel vehicle as well, and is looking into not only rigging up HHO on his vehicle, but along with a mechanic friend as doing HHO installs as a side business.

He didn't say when, where, or from whom he had heard this - he made mention of the fact that there was a federal law or EPA reg under consideration to make ANY type of modification to the fuel system on a vehicle - not emissions, but FUEL - illegal.

In other words, any type of fuel saving mod, including HHO generators, would be against the law.

Another possible new law/regulation he mentioned was a "clunker" law - basically, the government would mandate just how old a vehicle you'd be allowed to drive, and if your's was past the cutoff age, no matter even if it was in mint condition, they would legally be allowed to confiscate it and compensate you only for it's scrap value.

Has anyone heard anything along this line, to substantiate either of these as more than just rumor?

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
05-22-2008 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: New Fed Regs to Outlaw Any Fuel Mods?
I haven't, but if you see any actual written legislation along this line, I'd be interested to see it.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-22-2008 11:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S10 Hybrid Offline

retmil46 Wrote:Ran into another gent at work tonight. He was interested in looking at the MB and seeing the water vapor injection system I had rigged up. He has a diesel vehicle as well, and is looking into not only rigging up HHO on his vehicle, but along with a mechanic friend as doing HHO installs as a side business.

He didn't say when, where, or from whom he had heard this - he made mention of the fact that there was a federal law or EPA reg under consideration to make ANY type of modification to the fuel system on a vehicle - not emissions, but FUEL - illegal.

In other words, any type of fuel saving mod, including HHO generators, would be against the law.

Another possible new law/regulation he mentioned was a "clunker" law - basically, the government would mandate just how old a vehicle you'd be allowed to drive, and if your's was past the cutoff age, no matter even if it was in mint condition, they would legally be allowed to confiscate it and compensate you only for it's scrap value.

Has anyone heard anything along this line, to substantiate either of these as more than just rumor?

Well, it will never happen... If they even try such a thing there would be a revolution that they would not be able to control...

I worry not about the numb nuts in DC... Pile of useless crap they are... The only thing they can control is the companies that contribute to their campaigns....

We are the majority... They would not dare make pop an outlaw with his old model t...

So don't worry, be happy...

Like the so called drug war.... Only the CIA can bring them in and profit.... Afghan heroin is real cheap right now.... Thanks to the CIA....

http://www.google.com/search?q=cia+drug+...=firefox-a

eddie b.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2008 11:05 AM by S10 Hybrid.)
05-23-2008 10:55 AM
mike Offline

Careful, there's a guy with a taser waiting to zap you... again!

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-23-2008 03:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S10 Hybrid Offline

mike Wrote:Careful, there's a guy with a taser waiting to zap you... again!

Don't taser me bro, I did not do nothing, don't taser me please bro.
bizzzzzzzzzz....... bizzzzzzzzzz....... bizzzzzzzzzz.......
05-28-2008 04:59 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

SEMA.org will fight the clunker laws for sure!
They have fought for the old cars alot and are successful! They have been able to keep the govt from tell you what size tires you can/c'not run on a vehicle, and many other things, I just mention the tires b/c I think it is hilarity...

As for the fuel mods, not sure how that will be policed, your local law enforcement will not have time...

http://www.herronperformance.com
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2008 10:36 AM by HerronPerformance.)
05-28-2008 05:12 AM
retmil46 Offline

Tire situation can be ridiculous. One Costco-clone discount store in this area flat-out refuses to put on anything other than what the OEM had on it when sold new - they won't even discuss OEM approved alternate sizes - has to be as-is off the lot. Needless to say, they get NONE of my business!!!

As far as law enforcement not having the time....., they have to do whatever their bosses up the line direct them to do. On the Jeep diesel forums, there's plenty of instances out in CA and a few other CARB wanna-be states where they've had the state troopers set up checkpoints during morning and afternoon commute times, specifically to pull over every Nth vehicle to check for obvious tampering with emissions devices, and if it's a diesel dip the tank to see if they're running off-road fuel. In some cases they even brought a portable sniffer along to run up the tailpipe to do a basic go/no go emissions test.

A lot of the CARB/EPA requirements, particularly for diesels, are a load of crap. Several Jeep diesel owners have figured out a way to turn off the EGR system such that it completely fools the computer. When they took their vehicles in for inspection, with the EGR system turned off and running ULSD fuel, they passed both the computer hookup and tailpipe sniffer test with flying colors - ULSD fuel alone made them run clean enough to pass emissions WITHOUT an EGR system.

And CARB/EPA bloody well knows this, but still try to keep pushing their asinine social-engineering regulations down our throats.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
05-28-2008 09:50 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

retmil46 Wrote:Tire situation can be ridiculous. One Costco-clone discount store in this area flat-out refuses to put on anything other than what the OEM had on it when sold new - they won't even discuss OEM approved alternate sizes - has to be as-is off the lot. Needless to say, they get NONE of my business!!!

As far as law enforcement not having the time....., they have to do whatever their bosses up the line direct them to do. On the Jeep diesel forums, there's plenty of instances out in CA and a few other CARB wanna-be states where they've had the state troopers set up checkpoints during morning and afternoon commute times, specifically to pull over every Nth vehicle to check for obvious tampering with emissions devices, and if it's a diesel dip the tank to see if they're running off-road fuel. In some cases they even brought a portable sniffer along to run up the tailpipe to do a basic go/no go emissions test.

A lot of the CARB/EPA requirements, particularly for diesels, are a load of crap. Several Jeep diesel owners have figured out a way to turn off the EGR system such that it completely fools the computer. When they took their vehicles in for inspection, with the EGR system turned off and running ULSD fuel, they passed both the computer hookup and tailpipe sniffer test with flying colors - ULSD fuel alone made them run clean enough to pass emissions WITHOUT an EGR system.

And CARB/EPA bloody well knows this, but still try to keep pushing their asinine social-engineering regulations down our throats.

What a Nazi police state we are funding. We have the best government money can buy for sure... Too bad it does not work in the interest of the intended, we the people...

The patriot act will show us if they ever implement that Nazi document... Then, I guess I will be another run of the mill outlaw...

Never tried that, I wonder how it feels like to be wanted and on the run... Sound like an adventure...

eddie b.
05-29-2008 08:30 AM
rpatzer Offline

In CA if they see any changes/modifications made, they will visual-fail you for smog testing. I had to show my smogger how I could "dismantle" my set up by undoing 2 wires, returning it back to stock and he smogged me w/o having to take any device off.
Any mod to the fuel system will have an impact on the emissions, even though it might be for the better.

As to the "clunker" law, in CA they will buy back older cars to get them off the road. I used to drive a 65 New Yorker. They paid me $600 to junk it. I don't think they can take it w/o compensation. It has to do with credits. The state pays the junkers to buy your old car.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2008 08:11 PM by rpatzer.)
06-01-2008 08:08 PM