Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Generator
wswilley Offline

New Generator
I just completed a new generator and have ran it for 1.25 hours at 12 amps.
The temp got to 105 degrees and is putting out 600 mlpm.

It is a modified Smacks design, as follows +nnn nn nn-nn nn nnn+, I think that is right. In other words I originally built exactly to Smacks plans and wouldn't fit as the nuts were 1/4 instead of 7/32. I removed a set of the two plates on each side and added them to the ends. From left to right the plates are arranged +4 2 2 - 2 2 4+.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about? If so how many cells would that be? That I am trying to figure is how much voltage across each cell.
07-26-2008 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: New Generator
Smacks uses neutral pairs that does nothing except make them wider and the electrical path longer. He's probably trying to reduce stray currents.

I suspect that adding them onto the ends, making them pos plates does nothing for your cell, except make them run hotter, since you dropped out neutral.

Since connected pairs aren't counted in a schematic like this,
(+n nn nn nn -- nn nn nn n+), actually becomes (+ n n n n - n n n n +).

Since you left off a pair of neutrals, you now have (+ n n n - n n n +), which is equivalent to two cells like (+ n n n -) in parallel (12 volts on each cell), which has 3 volts per set of plates. Smacks design is 2.5 volts per plate from the plans I have here (and drew above).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2008 02:31 PM by colchiro.)
07-26-2008 01:02 PM
wswilley Offline

Thanks for the reply and information.

Right now I am running it and it is holding at 13 amps and the hottest spot I can find on the PVC housing is 110 degrees(measured with IR gun). After getting the hydrogen leaks from the bubbler stopped the output shows 650 mlpm.

I also used a combination bubbler/reservoir with thermal migration to lower the temp some.
07-26-2008 02:16 PM
colchiro Offline

I just checked the latest Smacks plans and notice there's another neutral on each end. I adjusted my post above.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-26-2008 02:32 PM
wswilley Offline

The reason for changing from Smacks modified plans, the one where he had three plates on each end was because the brick wouldn't fit into a 4" pipe, almost, but no cigar. I found the cause, the stainless nuts I used was locally supplied and was 1/4 thick instead of 7/32. Just enough to not fit.
07-26-2008 02:36 PM
owen1969 Offline

Anytime you have no got the right suppies for a job what can you do? Improvise(sp?) ! So what can you do? I made a smack cell and ran into some problems also. So I improvised, I used Stainless washers instead of nuts. It's actually easier to make with these, If you made a mistake it's much faster to take apart with washers than to thread nuts all the way back. I used 3 or 4 washers instead of 1 nut. The smack cell I made works great. So when you dont have exact items just IMPROVISE!
Good luck.John

wswilley Wrote:The reason for changing from Smacks modified plans, the one where he had three plates on each end was because the brick wouldn't fit into a 4" pipe, almost, but no cigar. I found the cause, the stainless nuts I used was locally supplied and was 1/4 thick instead of 7/32. Just enough to not fit.
07-26-2008 07:59 PM
CitatioN10 Offline

I made a smack booster exact to plans , heat shrink and the works .. I found that I was saving 1.7 to 2 MPG in the city and maybe 3 to 4 MPG highway .
07-26-2008 08:54 PM