Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New H2 design
cjpeaceful Offline

New H2 design
Well, I've posted an update on my You Tube channel describing my latest changes to my Hofmann Voltameter (H2 only generator). In the video, HHO Separation (04), I explain some of the problems I ran into with this type of design - heat. Or, at least, mostly heat related issues.

Hmmm. Which, when I think about it, this makes sense considering how much exposed surface I have with the plates. If I use .375 amps / sq. inch in calculating maximum allowable for current, then this would make sense why the heat created by the generator rose so quickly after reaching 13ish amps. Anything above this amount and the solutions temperature rose quickly; hence, PVC deformity.

I think I'm going to try acrylic next. It seems to be the "way to go" considering how much success Gary is having with his builds.

We'll see...Wink
10-08-2008 11:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: New H2 design
Thanx man!
Just an FYI for ya, I put the little lab rat in the truck since I wasn't running HHO in it any more...and I figured it might not do any good, but won't do any harm either.
I diluted to 5 amps, and if you recall, it is a two-plate unit using switch covers.
It slowly keeps getting hotter. I ran it from cold to work for an hour and it hit about 95.
I made a few trips around the worksite and a couple of runs to the store during the day, keeping it hot. It hit 110 doing this, so I shut it off for half the ride home, turned it on and it hit 162 after the last half hour of the drive.
I haven't measured it's output at these low amps yet.
10-09-2008 05:58 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

Kind of funny you say how much the temperature kept rising...I had some family members over this evening and thought I'd do a little "demo" of a two plate cell just for show. The kiddos thought the bubbles looked pretty cool. Well, after running the cell for about 20 minutes, the new container I bought from Wal-Mart felt a bit warm. One hour later, it was much warmer. In fact, my amps by then had crept up to 32 from an original 6.77! I've heard before where this happens mostly with this type of plate arrangement (+/-) but I never experienced it first hand until tonight.

This may just lend to the idea of wiring these type of generators in parallel. Too much voltage? Maybe?
10-09-2008 08:02 PM
TimThe Scooper Offline

cjpeaceful Wrote:Well, I've posted an update on my You Tube channel describing my latest changes to my Hofmann Voltameter (H2 only generator). In the video, HHO Separation (04), I explain some of the problems I ran into with this type of design - heat. Or, at least, mostly heat related issues.

Hmmm. Which, when I think about it, this makes sense considering how much exposed surface I have with the plates. If I use .375 amps / sq. inch in calculating maximum allowable for current, then this would make sense why the heat created by the generator rose so quickly after reaching 13ish amps. Anything above this amount and the solutions temperature rose quickly; hence, PVC deformity.

I think I'm going to try acrylic next. It seems to be the "way to go" considering how much success Gary is having with his builds.

We'll see...Wink

I checked out your latest video and it seemed like it stopped prematurely.(1:18min.) I enjoyed your seperation03 video. That gave me the idea for my current build. So far 2.1 amps per cell and 80 degrees after 2.5 hours. (still experimenting with the increase of KOH) Question: Is the total amps calculated for a given surface area for electrolysis a total of each plate in a cell, or a sum total of all the plates in a cell? Thanks!
10-09-2008 10:57 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

I've been told in an email by ZFF it's the total sum of the exposed surface area of the cell. So, as an example, if your cell has (6) plates total and they measure 2" x 2" then, you would have a total surface area of 48 square inches. Or, each plate would have 8 sq. inches (counting both sides). Now, using .375 amps / sq. in., this translates to 18 amps. Anything above this number and you are probably producing alot of heat and destroying the materials composition. But that's just a guess.

I've seen some use .25 amps / square inch but this maybe more in line with using a more electrically conductive material (i.e., copper or steel). Then again, some use .50 amps / square inch. Personally, this seems a bit too much.

Oh, and thanks for the video comment. I'll go back and look at the video. I've had problems with You Tube posting short videos in the past.
10-10-2008 07:20 AM
Gary Offline

I used two switchplate covers. I thought it odd to get so hot so fast. Anyway, my 3 cell h2 unit leveled out at 122 or so. I'll be testing it in the car after the midgrade test with HHO I'm doing now. No room in the truck engine bay; have to put it in the car trunk.
10-10-2008 04:53 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

TimThe Scooper Wrote:
cjpeaceful Wrote:Well, I've posted an update on my You Tube channel describing my latest changes to my Hofmann Voltameter (H2 only generator). In the video, HHO Separation (04), I explain some of the problems I ran into with this type of design - heat. Or, at least, mostly heat related issues.

We'll see...Wink

I checked out your latest video and it seemed like it stopped prematurely.(1:18min.) I enjoyed your seperation03 video. That gave me the idea for my current build. So far 2.1 amps per cell and 80 degrees after 2.5 hours. (still experimenting with the increase of KOH) Question: Is the total amps calculated for a given surface area for electrolysis a total of each plate in a cell, or a sum total of all the plates in a cell? Thanks!

I had to re-upload the video this weekend. Thanks again for the heads up!

After building my first dry cell this past week and starting construction of my first acrylic container for my H2 generator, it's no more PVC for me. Or, at least not for awhile.Wink
10-13-2008 06:05 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

I'm putting together my H2 gen in acrylic just so I could see if my separator plate works. I've been modifying my pvc containers for reservoirs for my dry cells.
10-13-2008 07:15 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

hydrotinkerer Wrote:I'm putting together my H2 gen in acrylic just so I could see if my separator plate works. I've been modifying my pvc containers for reservoirs for my dry cells.

What are you using for separator plates? Any special material? I pick-up some register filters, like Gary is using, last night at Lowes. Thought if it worked for him...why not?
10-13-2008 01:23 PM
SLEDDOGGER Offline

I have been dealing with the thermal runaway issue for 4-5 months with plate and coil gesigns. I tried making resistors that breached the voltage input and it helped considerably. I now have some professors at osu looking at it and figuring out the appropriate thermistor to install. The only other way i have overcome this issue is to wire 2 in parallel. My amps have stayed between 4.2 and 4.7 consistantly. I am now making a inclosed unit that has 2 generators,1 bubbler and a water supply fed by a pump. Should be finished with the unit by the end of the week. Ps: the acrilic is only good to 145degrees F. Unless your wiring in parallel...melt down!(for me)
10-13-2008 02:17 PM