Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New install with E85
colchiro Offline

New install with E85
Just got my EFIE installed tonight on my 2005 Toyota Rav4 (2.4 L I4). This engine has been converted to E85 with a converter that goes between the ECU and the injectors and I have an air/fuel meter installed. The EFIE is installed between the o2 sensor and the E85 converter so the ECU thinks it's controlling the mixture, but it isn't.

Mileage could be better and the mixture is about 14:1 under light cruise, far from where I'd like it to be (closer to 15:1). Ethanol tolerates a leaner mixture so you can see why I bought the EFIE. I'm headed on a trip on Friday so would like to get this dialed in by then.

Took it out on the highway tonight and turned off onto several exits and cranked up the mixture each time. Ended up at .35v and heard a little click so figured I'm going to have to open up the unit if I want to go further. BTW, there's no difference on the A/F meter when I switch the unit off and I'm not seeing any change in mileage on my ScanGauge II either. When I got home I confirmed a .35v difference between the o2 sensor and my E85 converter. Guess I'll drive it to and from work tomorrow and when I get home crank it up some more.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-04-2008 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: New install with E85
You should be able to get the EFIE up to about .45 without modification. If you need to go higher, and your E85 unit will be able to tolerate it, you can increase the high end of the EFIE's range. Read How to Adjust the Range of the EFIE.

Note: ECU's will interpret a too high of a setting on the EFIE as the sensor has gone bad. It needs to see a voltage low enough to be considered low, and a voltage high enough to be considered high. And it needs to see switching between these ranges. If it doesn't, it'll consider the sensor bad and will add extra gas (error on the side of rich). Your E85 unit may do the same if you go too high with the EFIE setting. I don't know if you have diagnostic code capability with it. Just something to consider.

Oh, and at least one guy reported that at about .25 volts or so, they triggered this error. I haven't heard of it happening lower than this.

If you don't get a leaning out of your mix, be sure to repost on this thread. We'll get it debugged.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2008 07:42 PM by mike.)
03-04-2008 07:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Hi Mike,
I got all the way to 81% ethanol before I got my first CEL at a stop light, but that was before converting and the ScanGauge quickly cleared the error. I've also thrown rich codes with 10% ethanol after converting. I did notice the steady a/f ready after throwing a code as I entered open loop so am familiar with that too. My converter seems to be a little too eager at throwing fuel at this engine.

The mixture adjustment on the EFIE does click when it gets to the end, right? Guess I'll try cranking that a little more again tomorrow morning.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-04-2008 08:36 PM
mike Offline

No, the EFIE doesn't click when it gets to the end. It just keeps going, but doesn't change it's resistance any further. If there wasn't a delay, due to the capacitor, you could see when you got to the end because the voltage would stop going higher. With the capacitor, though, you have to wait for the voltage to settle down. You can go at least 10 turns past the end though without harming it. You just have to turn 10 times the other way before it'll start changing again.

I am surprised that you haven't seen an A/F change at .35 volts. What other sensors are hooked up the E85 controller? Maybe it's outsmarting us.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-04-2008 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

I completely disconnected the EFIE output from the E85 converter 02 sensor input and it seems no different. There is no o2 sensor input to converter now.

Hard to tell if it's exactly the same since I live 2 minutes from work and it's colder this morning (4° F). I think the converter is defective (good luck with warranty, it's from Brazil) or they never implemented the o2 sensor. They quit answering my emails last fall.

Rick

03-05-2008 08:21 AM
mike Offline

Bummer.

But have you checked that your sensor is functioning? Check out How To Read Your EFIE and see if you're getting expected readings from your sensor.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-05-2008 11:23 AM
colchiro Offline

Ok, came to the conclusion the wideband sensor is controlling the a/f ratio and the input to the e85 converter (Abcesso) does nothing. I don't know if that's by design as Abcesso is absolutely no help after the sale. (They ignore my emails.) I tried wideband, narrowband, narrowband/EFIE and no input to the o2 input of the Abcesso and get the same results. Abcesso is just lengthening the injector pulse so I get the richer mixture that e85 needs.

I saw the Camry thread regarding wideband and am wondering how that turned out. From what I've seen I don't understand why the EFIE won't work with wideband. I need to improve my mileage with the combination I have or buy a new unit. Why hasn't someone tried it?

Rick

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2008 05:44 PM by colchiro.)
03-09-2008 05:43 PM
mike Offline

Ok, got it. Using the wideband sensor is the logical choice. Widebands are much better sensors, and easier for a computer to maintain a set A/F ratio. It's just that the A/F ratio they want to maintain is different than we would like.

If you'd like to test the EFIE on your wideband sensor, use the EFIE backwards. The green wire to the computer and the white wire to the ECU. You want to lower the voltage. And start quite low with the EFIE voltage.

If you try this please let me know how it works for you.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-09-2008 09:54 PM
colchiro Offline

Hi Mike, my 2005 Toyota has a blue wire with 2.1 volts and a white wire with 1.7 volts. I assume the two white wires are for the heater.

There was some fluctuation on the blue wire. You think I should install in series with that one?

Rick

03-11-2008 03:49 PM
colchiro Offline

I see the wb Camry post has a similar setup so I'm going to try to connect this to my blue wire tomorrow.

Rick

03-11-2008 07:22 PM