Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New member : Greetings!
glester Offline

New member : Greetings!
Hello! I just joined this group yesterday and wanted to post a few lines. I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE, 4spd auto. The car was always "good" on gas, i.e. 31-33 mpg's winter, and 35-37 mpg's summertime (tank averages). I have been using a Scangauge for a number of years. Last October, after many months of researching HHO as a supplement to gasoline, I decided to have a system installed. Except for a few glitches, I have been very happy with the results. I won't mention where I got it : I did that on another group like this and got flamed for it. That group essentially shunned the use of HHO. I was thrilled to find this group that seems to be open to the idea. My system requires the disconnect of the O2 sensor so the ECU can run open loop. To compensate for the over rich condition the ECU provides in open loop, an external potentiometer (50K ohms) is wired into the MAP sensor signal wire so that the air/fuel ratio can be manually controlled to about 18:1. Warm weather highway mileage is now over 50 miles per gallon! I look forward to checking in from time to time to compare results with other HHO/hypermilers out there.
06-26-2009 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

RE: New member : Greetings!
Wow disconnect the O2 ? seems like a novel idea, never thought about doing that...

Only I have a frequency based MAF and no MAP.. I know you can add a small resistance to the ground on the MAF to alter its frequency but my maf, iat, and altitude sensor all share the same unit so I need to do some testing first.

Is it hard from keeping the MAP from going to open loop, since I cant get a scangauge for my car so I wont know till its time to refill ?

BTW Greetings !!
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2009 10:36 PM by jbalat.)
06-26-2009 10:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glester Offline

(06-26-2009 10:35 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Wow disconnect the O2 ? seems like a novel idea, never thought about doing that...

Only I have a frequency based MAF and no MAP.. I know you can add a small resistance to the ground on the MAF to alter its frequency but my maf, iat, and altitude sensor all share the same unit so I need to do some testing first.

Is it hard from keeping the MAP from going to open loop, since I cant get a scangauge for my car so I wont know till its time to refill ?

BTW Greetings !!

No matter what you do to a vehicle to enhance the combustion of the gasoline, the O2 sensor will always defeat what you are trying to do, as it interprets the oxygen rich exhaust as an over-lean condition. The closed loop design will always strive to maintain that stoichiometric air/fuel ratio at 14.7 : 1. So, it has to go. I know it violates EPA rules, but tests have shown that emissions are greatly reduced with the addition of HHO. That's the irony of the whole thing! Here's another irony for you : In my state of Connecticut, they don't even check emissions at the tailpipe! They plug in their own scan tool to see if any codes pop up. All you get is a pass/fail report. The only data on that report is the battery voltage! In order to prepare for that test, I had to disable the HHO generator, reconnect the O2 sensor, and drive around for a couple of days to make sure all the codes were cleared out. Then when it was done, I had to reconnect it all over again. Luckily, we only have to retest every two years. I wish we had a drive by emissions test, such as "Rapid Screen", like they do in Colorado and other western states. You drive through twice in a ten month period, and they send you your registration renewal in the mail.
As for your system, I can't offer much advice. There are people on this forum more knowledgable than myself on the subject. Thanks for your reply!
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2009 05:27 AM by glester.)
06-27-2009 05:13 AM
jbalat Offline

Glester do you have an EGT gauge ?
I would start getting worried that you are running too lean if you almost doubled your economy ?
06-28-2009 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glester Offline

(06-28-2009 06:00 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Glester do you have an EGT gauge ?
I would start getting worried that you are running too lean if you almost doubled your economy ?

Well, jbalat, I NEVER said I doubled my fuel economy. I have claimed mpg gains in the range of 20 to 25 percent. It varies due to the many factors that can affect FE, as I am sure you are aware. No, I do not have an EGT gauge. I don't think the car's computer reports it, so Scangauge can't read it. You can tell when you are running too lean : The car will begin to ping under the slightest acceleration. As I am going up a long gradual uphill grade, I will adjust my external map sensor pot until the car begins to hesitate. The I back it off towards "rich" and that's usually all it takes.
06-29-2009 03:47 AM