Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newbie Here - HHO volume and cubic inch Question
70gmc402 Offline

Newbie Here - HHO volume and cubic inch Question
Obviously new here, but would like to know if it is worth my time starting with 2 smaller, home-brewed gens or just biting the bullet and stepping up to a high volume prefab unit? I have a high horsepower factory 402 V8 that sucks some serious volume even though I've out my carb setup as much as is reasonable and still have detonation protection - and of course it has soft valves. Anyone else looking to improve some big block mileage here? Thanks in advance all.
05-26-2008 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: Newbie Here - HHO volume and cubic inch Question
My opinion is that it's better to build your own. However, when I started out I didn't have a clue what I was doing. So, I purchased a couple different fairly cheap generators so that I could learn something. Building my first Smack booster was really educating, and it's only gotten easier since.

Sounds like you want to introduce some serious gas into that 402. My advice would be to learn how to build a true series cell based on the principles found in Patrick Kelly's "Free Energy Devices" document, starting on page 30. http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter10.pdf

An open-bath series cell like the Smack booster is about as good as it gets with that design. It will do around 1.5 LPM (liters per minute) at 20 amps. However, a true closed-bath series cell should easily do 1 LPM for every 5 amps applied. The Smack booster is much easier to construct, and it will outperform almost all the other boosters on the market, but the series cell design is where things start to get serious. The key is to get maximum output for minimal amp draw. I should also add that some people are getting good mileage gains on low output, as well.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of the commercial boosters are overpriced (some are WAY overpriced) and they underperform. There have been so many claims by manufacturers that their booster will produce x-amount of LPM (very high) when the reality is far different.

If you've got the money to spend and you don't want to build it yourself, I'm sure there are some good commercial boosters, but they'll easily be over $1000.

70gmc402 Wrote:Obviously new here, but would like to know if it is worth my time starting with 2 smaller, home-brewed gens or just biting the bullet and stepping up to a high volume prefab unit? I have a high horsepower factory 402 V8 that sucks some serious volume even though I've out my carb setup as much as is reasonable and still have detonation protection - and of course it has soft valves. Anyone else looking to improve some big block mileage here? Thanks in advance all.
05-26-2008 12:43 PM
70gmc402 Offline

Thanks - appreciate the advice. Yes, I always prefer the learn by doing and construction seems fairly simple - just want to avoid any major disasters. I'll keep reading about the processesto be on the safe side. Any idea of how little HHO is required for larger V8s?
05-26-2008 09:37 PM
jksav7 Offline

I really have no idea. I've heard it takes gobs and gobs, and then I've heard less than a LPM will do. So, who knows. You'll have to experiment.

70gmc402 Wrote:Any idea of how little HHO is required for larger V8s?
05-26-2008 10:31 PM
BroBob1 Offline

Here's a website out of Ontario selling differnet size units based on engine displacement! Maybe they already did the home work!
http://www.savefuel.ca/hydrogen/products.php?id=product

Click on specs under each unit.
05-27-2008 08:41 AM
Fatman1 Offline

I have spend more time reading that on spending money, what seems to be rule of thumb is 1/2 liter per min per liter of engine. I'm working on a smack now and going to install it on a 350 chevy which most says will be a little light if I can get 11/2 LPM out of my swich plates.
So far, with the help of some of the stuff laying around I'm just getting a little over a LPM from it and have spent almost 30 dollarsSmile
Thats my cheap pwr board ans all
05-28-2008 02:44 PM