Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No Extra Voltage to the ECU
Handy Offline

Question No Extra Voltage to the ECU
Hello All,
I have a 1990 Geo Metro XFI with a new rebuilt motor and new 0/2. It has a 1.0 liter motor with one single wire upstream 0/2. It is Fuel injected Throttle body. The EFIE is attach├ęd right next to the 0/2 and finding the wire was a snap as I rebuilt the motor and replaced the 0/2 myself. All Gaskets are new in the exhaust. All grounds on chassis are ground down and cleaned. I have installed the Basic EFIE as per instructions with solder and shrink wrap. The EFIE is in a new outdoor Electric Box with cover in the engine compartment close to the 0/2 line insulated and attached with velcro inside the box. I have a home built HHO Generator that puts out 1/2 liter per minute doing a water bottle displacement test. I have done a poor mans quality test and the stuff burns nice (Pops very Loud) ! It's using KOH for an electrolight and pulling about 10 to 15 amp depending on temp. All wire is Stranded 10 gauge with relay and fuses (except for the EFIE). All leaks have been checked with soap and water. After reading the check list page I added a small hose inside my air filter housing so that it goes directly into the throttle area. I have the EFIE now set at .250. I have gone through the check list page and have checked and double checked and fixed some of the things that were mentioned. Please note that I have now gone through my wiring three times and everything is perfect. So this brings me to my question.

When I test the EFIE output from the white and green wires I get the normal reading that I set the EFIE at .250. I then take the black test lead on my meter and hook it to the ground on my battery and leave the red test lead on the white wire. With the EFIE On and the ignition off I do not see any voltage going to the ECU! Should I not see the .250? Or does it only work when there is voltage coming from the o2?

Please let me know.
Thanks HandyConfusedCrazyHmm    
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 03:14 PM by Handy.)
06-08-2011 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Handy Offline

Wink RE: No Extra Voltage to the ECU
From Bruce Bushing on 6-12-11 in an answer to my email request about this issue.

Hi Handy,
It sounds like you have done everything exactly right and you posed an interesting question that I did not know the answer to.
At first I thought maybe you had not installed something right but after reading your email it is apparent that you know what you are doing.
When I got a chance I tested the system in my truck that I have had for 3 years and gives me about 18% increase in mileage and.......I got exactly the same results that you did!
I messed with it for an hour or so and racked my brain because I (like you) was convinced that I should see the EFIE set point output with the truck off and the EFIE powered up.
I gave up and put a call into our circuit design guy and it made perfect sense to him. He said that the results we are seeing is correct and here is why.
This circuit is designed such that it "needs" the input from a hot, running O2 sensor to work. An O2 sensor is actually a chemical battery that, when at operating temprature and in the presence of oxygen, develops a voltage. The EFIE is designed such that it needs this voltage as a reference for it to provide its output, when it looses that reference voltage its output defaults to zero as a fail safe condition.
It sounds like everything is working correctly.

Just thought I would put this up so others could see what the solution to my question was.

Hope this helps others.
HandyBig GrinWink
06-12-2011 04:48 PM
Gloriaevans Offline

RE: No Extra Voltage to the ECU
Yeah..! definitely this will...Big Grin
Thanks for the info, keep updating..Cool

Electrical Conductors
09-25-2011 11:53 PM