Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No output at all!
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

Sad No output at all!
I have built a Smacks booster positive on each end and minus in the center with stainless steel straps made from clamps. I hooked up the booster to a Shumacher 100/15/2 amp battery charger and used Baking Soda as an electrolyte. I then turned on power and noticed the current draw until it was about 13 amp then closed the system and attached a 1/4" O.D. hose to an 1/8" I.D. NPT quick release plastic fitting on the top of the booster, and ran about a two foot length of hose to a glass of water to observe the output.

Although I did see alot of action in the generator prior to doing the sealing the top in what I suppose is hydrogen gas when I placed the output hose into the glass of water I saw not even the first bubble.

So I took a water4gas unit and took the same electrolyte from the Smacks booster and poured it into the unit and then applied voltage to this unit and could tell by looking at the unit that something was really happening but with the same hose 1/4" O.D. and 1/8" I.D. there still was nothing bubbling out of the glass of water. I did notice however that the water4gas unit it was quite warm to the touch and the amperage was over 15 and possibly more but just looking at the meter on the battery charger it would not be easy to tell without using an in line ammeter as I do have but for purposes of testing did not have it connected.

Is the 1/8" diameter too small or is a 2 foot hose too long or what would keep me from seeing even the first bubble coming out of either generator?Shocked
11-28-2009 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: No output at all!
Sounds like you could have leak in your cell. You can brush the connections with soapy water and leaks will show as bubble.

Baking soda isn't recommended since it accelerates the rusting of your parts. You can do better with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.

When comparing cell "A" with cell "B", you have to compare the number of plates. Any time you have the same electrolyte in a cell with fewer plates, you'll get more output due to the higher voltage across each plate.

1/8" is a bit small but you should still get output.

Click my "Documents" link and check out Mike's checklist (about 3/4 way down the page) for other things that you can check. I'm guessing you have a leak and need a better electrolyte.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-28-2009 04:27 PM
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

(11-28-2009 04:27 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Sounds like you could have leak in your cell. You can brush the connections with soapy water and leaks will show as bubble.

Baking soda isn't recommended since it accelerates the rusting of your parts. You can do better with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.

When comparing cell "A" with cell "B", you have to compare the number of plates. Any time you have the same electrolyte in a cell with fewer plates, you'll get more output due to the higher voltage across each plate.

1/8" is a bit small but you should still get output.

Click my "Documents" link and check out Mike's checklist (about 3/4 way down the page) for other things that you can check. I'm guessing you have a leak and need a better electrolyte.
Actually the hose was not all the way into the quick disconnect and after correcting this it was putting out all kinds of bubbles problem two was that the current went way too high and started melting the negative terminal into the cap and found after disassembly that there was a loose mechanical connection to the negative terminal.

It is outputting like mad and I am awaiting Fed EX delivery of potassium hydroxide (2 pounds) and will start over again with that as well as new distilled water. I did get stupid enough to take a lighter to the bubbles and yes they do "Blow up" and rather quickly I will experiment further with a new cap and the same 1/4" O.D. till I can get a NPT tap for 1/4" and 3/8" plus the drill bit required.

I now believe in this stuff and look forward to seeing better results and then actually placing it into my vehicle or a older one that does not matter whether it runs or not.
OK I am going to try this out here is a video of the output that I placed on my website out of public view and will see if it will work here in this forum.
This is just a test so who knows what will happen?

HHO Video
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2009 12:47 PM by houdini1953.)
11-28-2009 05:49 PM
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

Smile RE: No output at all!
OK I do have output but current is too high and melting of the negative terminal (loose connection) in the cap which I will have to replace. Learning more and more as I go further with this project.

Here is massive production in a video that I just did, sorry about the shakiness of the camera but hey I got excited. This is not the best video in the world but it does show production even if I did overdo the electrolyte.

Will keep you all up to date as progress continues, it seems that not many contribute lately or have forgotten about this site altogether hope more interest and problem solving continues cause I need all I can get!

Output with a Smack
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2009 07:20 PM by houdini1953.)
11-28-2009 07:18 PM
colchiro Offline

Loose connections melting the top can also spark and blow up your cell so you have to be careful of that. That's been discussed here often.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-28-2009 07:42 PM