Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not a normal amperage problem/question... :( :( :(
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Not a normal amperage problem/question... :( :( :(
Guys, I'm curious about my little dry cell (LDC III) that I built. After driving for half an hour last night, I went through the usual testing. With the gen still running, it was bone cold to the touch!! It could be because of the weather (FREEZING COLD at 51* Laugh ), but anyway. The main problem I'm having (if it's a problem??) is that I have like 3 tsp. of NaOH and a half gallon of distilled, but the amperage is still just under 5.2A! That's after running half an hour, the heck? So I poured a little more NaOH in this morning (unsure how much now lol!) and it jumped to 5.6A, is this normal for dry cells? I mean, this is like 3x the amount of electrolyte at LEAST than any wet cell I've ever created!

Please let me know if it's normal to need lots more NaOH for a dry cell than a wet one. Thanks! Big Grin

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2008 09:59 AM by RDKamikaze.)
12-20-2008 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Not a normal amperage problem/question... :( :( :(
It's been noted several times that dry cells need a higher concentration. Whatever it takes to get the output you need.... Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-20-2008 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:Guys, I'm curious about my little dry cell (LDC III) that I built. After driving for half an hour last night, I went through the usual testing. With the gen still running, it was bone cold to the touch!! It could be because of the weather (FREEZING COLD at 51* Laugh ), but anyway. The main problem I'm having (if it's a problem??) is that I have like 3 tsp. of NaOH and a half gallon of distilled, but the amperage is still just under 5.2A! That's after running half an hour, the heck? So I poured a little more NaOH in this morning (unsure how much now lol!) and it jumped to 5.6A, is this normal for dry cells? I mean, this is like 3x the amount of electrolyte at LEAST than any wet cell I've ever created!

Please let me know if it's normal to need lots more NaOH for a dry cell than a wet one. Thanks! Big Grin
RDK:

The amperage is affected by a few different factors. Looks like you've maxed out the electrolyte factor. What about surface area? You can't "push" amperage into any electrical device; the bulb, motor, dry cell must "pull" or "draw" it from the source. The greater the surface area the greater the draw. What's production like? If production is decent you don't have a problem; you've got a blessing.
12-20-2008 10:17 AM
RDKamikaze Offline

thomasbala Wrote:
RDKamikaze Wrote:Guys, I'm curious about my little dry cell (LDC III) that I built. After driving for half an hour last night, I went through the usual testing. With the gen still running, it was bone cold to the touch!! It could be because of the weather (FREEZING COLD at 51* Laugh ), but anyway. The main problem I'm having (if it's a problem??) is that I have like 3 tsp. of NaOH and a half gallon of distilled, but the amperage is still just under 5.2A! That's after running half an hour, the heck? So I poured a little more NaOH in this morning (unsure how much now lol!) and it jumped to 5.6A, is this normal for dry cells? I mean, this is like 3x the amount of electrolyte at LEAST than any wet cell I've ever created!

RDK:

The amperage is affected by a few different factors. Looks like you've maxed out the electrolyte factor. What about surface area? You can't "push" amperage into any electrical device; the bulb, motor, dry cell must "pull" or "draw" it from the source. The greater the surface area the greater the draw. What's production like? If production is decent you don't have a problem; you've got a blessing.

Hahah I know, I know! My cell is producing about .5LPM which means it's working for such limited surface area I have, but still. I want more output sometimes and I wish I could push it to 10A just to see if I could top 1LPM. Oh well, looks like I get to be happy with my little .5LPM that my car seems fine with so far (still no mileage tests yet) and doesn't even pull 6A. Yay for making a happy alternator!!

On a side note: why is it that some people just keep begging for amps when their cars are suffering the consequences? I've seen people (not all on here *cough*youtube!*) who are like "yeah my cell produces 3LPM at ONLY 50A!! What the heck is that all about?? Don't people know that there is a limit on how many amps your car or truck can pull before it starts wearing on the alternator? I just don't see how a little Civic can handle 40A 24/7 and be ok with it. Or something about a 70-80A PWM?! WOAH!! Is any of my logic normal or has someone on the forums created the ultimate godly alternator that doesn't wear or tear and produces 13489A without adding any engine load and just not told me about it? Because if so, you kids better be sharing the wealth or I'll sick Gary on you!! Sad Tongue

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2008 10:32 AM by RDKamikaze.)
12-20-2008 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stl_hemi Offline

Because we have bigger alternators. 160amp alt and a red top battery. Running voltage for mine is 14.8 volts. I can maintain 50 amps easily.

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-20-2008 10:45 AM
RDKamikaze Offline

stl_hemi Wrote:Because we have bigger alternators. 160amp alt and a red top battery. Running voltage for mine is 14.8 volts. I can maintain 50 amps easily.

Confused :mad:That's just flat out ridiculous!! And the alternator doesn't add a load to the engine at all?? Nuts, I'm too used to little cars lol! My Solara only has an 80A alt Sad

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

12-20-2008 10:48 AM
thomasbala Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:
thomasbala Wrote:

RDK:

Hahah I know, I know! My cell is producing about .5LPM which means it's working for such limited surface area I have, but still. I want more output sometimes and I wish I could push it to 10A just to see if I could top 1LPM. Oh well, looks like I get to be happy with my little .5LPM that my car seems fine with so far (still no mileage tests yet) and doesn't even pull 6A. Yay for making a happy alternator!!

On a side note: why is it that some people just keep begging for amps when their cars are suffering the consequences? I've seen people (not all on here *cough*youtube!*) who are like "yeah my cell produces 3LPM at ONLY 50A!! What the heck is that all about?? Don't people know that there is a limit on how many amps your car or truck can pull before it starts wearing on the alternator? I just don't see how a little Civic can handle 40A 24/7 and be ok with it. Or something about a 70-80A PWM?! WOAH!! Is any of my logic normal or has someone on the forums created the ultimate godly alternator that doesn't wear or tear and produces 13489A without adding any engine load and just not told me about it? Because if so, you kids better be sharing the wealth or I'll sick Gary on you!! Sad Tongue

RDK:

Try hth metal stain remover for spas. You can get it at Wal-Mart for $9.00. It's a combo of polymaleic and phosphonic acids. It'll produce about 1.5 to 2 times more HHO than KOH. It will eventually turn blue. I think it produces mostly hydrogen which your Toy might like.
I've played with high amps before under the theory that the more HHO, the better until I caused a fire under the hood in rush hour traffic. A wire got so hot it melted through braided tubing from one of my generators, blew up the generator and started the plastic intake plenum and battery on fire[see pic below]. Since then I stay under 25 amps. My PWM used to get so hot the solder would drip off of it. Getting an 80 amp PWM is a good idea though, but only let it run 20 amps. They run cooler than the 30 amp variety and last a lot longer.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  FUSE IT !!!.pdf (Size: 1.75 MB / Downloads: 44)
12-20-2008 12:31 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

HTH Metal Stain Remover?? I've never heard of that in the HHO world, how does it treat the SS? Also, does it produce mega poisonous gasses, hurt engines, etc? More info please! I take it the amperage will increase too?

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

12-20-2008 12:38 PM
thomasbala Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:HTH Metal Stain Remover?? I've never heard of that in the HHO world, how does it treat the SS? Also, does it produce mega poisonous gasses, hurt engines, etc? More info please! I take it the amperage will increase too?
Treats 316L well; the eventual bluing of the electrolyte may be a reaction with the SS. No mega poisonous gasses, but read the label so you don't combine it with something that could cause an unwanted reaction. You can tell it's relatively safe because of its use in spas. Don't know about the amperage; I think it will stay roughly the same. The reason for greater production is that acids have more H ions than bases like KOH.
12-20-2008 12:50 PM
John Sargent Offline

colchiro Wrote:It's been noted several times that dry cells need a higher concentration. Whatever it takes to get the output you need.... Wink

Rick,
Do you have any info on how much, for example, Red Devil Drain Cleaner (100%) lye, per gallon of distilled water? I'm having a low output with a 13 plate dry cell that is in conditioning now, even at 15 amps and running for several hours. Maybe it will improve as the plates gets cleaner?
Thanks,
John
12-20-2008 01:00 PM