Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not getting any reading from test ports
erikdeboer Offline

Question Not getting any reading from test ports
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I bought your dual EFIE unit. The Jeep has 4 o2 sensors, 2 pre cat and 2 post. I connected the efie unit to the 2 pre o2 sensors. The sensors have 4 wires, 2 black, one grey and one white. The black wires are ground, grey has 12 volts and the white wire measures aprox .15 Mv when the Jeep is warmed up. I have check all my connections and I think they are correct. I get a red light and I can measure .15 Mv coming from the o2 sensor and also going to the computer on both o2 sensors but when I try testing the offset on the red and black test ports they always measure 0.00 Mv. I have an old needle type multi meter and also a new digital one and get the same results. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I have a home built Hydrogen generator that is working great but when it's running I get worse gas miliage so I need this EFIE unit working. Thanks, Erik
05-27-2008 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Not getting any reading from test ports
If you're getting 0 volts, I suspect that you didn't cut the sensor signal wire. Please check the wiring diagram in the installation instructions, and make sure you cut the signal wire. Then connect the sensor end of the wire to the green EFIE wire, and the computer end of the wire to the white EFIE wire.

The only way to get 0 volts on the red and black test ports is if the EFIE is off (or has no power), or the white and green wire are shorted together. (a third way is if the EFIE is damaged and not functioning at all)

Please let me know what you find.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2008 07:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erikdeboer Offline

I cut the signal wire and connected the wire coming from the 02 sensor to the green wire and then connected the white wire from the efie to the wire going to the computer. I can measure the voltage at both connections to ground at the same voltage, .15 Ma. The only way I can get a reading on the unit is using Ohms and it shows about 150.
05-27-2008 07:51 AM
mike Offline

You're getting 150 Ohms between red and black? That sounds like the main capacitor was hooked up to voltage and got blown. If that's a reading across the red/black test ports, send the unit back. Please copy my post onto a sheet of paper and include it with your return, as well as your name and address. I can replace the cap for you.

Or, if you want, go down to Radio Shack and get an electrolytic capacitor. I use 470 uF (micro farads) for that cap. You can use from 220 uF to 470 uF there. If you replace it yourself, be sure to install the new one with the same polarity. Electrolytic caps have a plus and minus terminal that must be oriented correctly.

Actually, before you do that, disconnect either the white or the green wire from your car, and re-test. See if you now get voltage at the red/black test ports. If the ports read the same as you've reported with the EFIE disconnected from your sensor (or computer), then proceed as described above. If there's a change in readings, then report it here.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2008 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erikdeboer Offline

I did some additional tests. I disconnected the white wire going to the computer and tested the voltage on the ports, it's still 0.00 mA. I also get 0.00 mA if I disconnect the green wire coming from the o2 sensor. I also tested to make sure the unit was connected correctly. I connected the red lead from my meter to the black test port on the efie and the black lead to ground and I read .05 mA on the drivers side o2 sensor and I did the same test on the passager side o2 sensor and I got .15 mA. If I do the same test with the red lead in the red test port I get .05 mA drivers and .15 on the passagers side o2 sensor. No matter what I do I don't get any voltage reading on the test ports. Does this help?
05-27-2008 09:38 AM
mike Offline

Do you mean mV? Milliamps is the wrong setting to measure with. You need to measure millivolts. If you're reading milliamps, you won't get any readings there.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2008 04:20 PM
erikdeboer Offline

Sorry, my bad! It looks like it was working the entire time, I just didn't know what I was doing. If all fails read the directions and know how to work the meter. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how all of this works out.
05-28-2008 06:38 AM
mike Offline

Ok. We're going to let you slide this time. Next time we send out the forum police! Smile

Visit Our Documents Page
05-28-2008 09:27 AM