Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not getting mail notifications
masster Offline

Not getting mail notifications
Hi Mike
I subscribed to receive instant mail notification for HCS topic here

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-Hydroca...tem?page=1

but for some reason, if I fail to login every other day, I don't get notified anymore. If there is an admin setting that handles it, please consider a 30 days no login when notifications stop.

Thanks.

Today is today, only today. Tomorrow it will only be yesterday.
02-20-2013 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Not getting mail notifications
There is no time limit on thread subscriptions... at least not that I'm aware of. This is the first time I've heard of this from anyone. I always get notified.

However, you should note, that if you are notified of an update on a thread, but don't log in, you may not get further notices on that same thread. This is so you don't get a notice 5 or 10 times in one day for the same thread. So you follow that one link, and there may be 10 posts. Then after you log in, the system will recognize that you need to be notified if anyone posts to your thread again.

The HCS thread has been very busy. It may now be the largest thread on the forum, or certainly close to it. Do you think that could be what's going on?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-23-2013 02:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
masster Offline

(02-23-2013 02:45 AM)mike Wrote:  However, you should note, that if you are notified of an update on a thread, but don't log in, you may not get further notices on that same thread. This is so you don't get a notice 5 or 10 times in one day for the same thread.

I understand that part, but I don't find normal to get unsubscribed from notifications ad infinitum if I don't log in. There should be a cron job that runs daily and does this:

- are there new posts in that thread from last notification for user X?
- if yes, notify him again (once per day is no problem)
- if no, don't notify.

The thread subscription status should be changed automatically to off just for 24 h. Only the user should have the right to unsubscribe for ever, manually.

02-23-2013 06:44 AM
mike Offline

I'm sorry. I didn't understand that you were being unsubscribed to the thread. I have no idea why that is occurring. I've looked for any settings about subscription settings and don't see anything about this. I've posted in the forum for my forum software and I'll see if anyone knows about this.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-23-2013 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
masster Offline

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I will try to rephrase.
According to you, a user is notified once by mail about new replies, then, in order to avoid notifications for each new reply, notifications stop till the user logs in. I assume the stopping of notifications is done internally in forum's database by changing the notification status for that thread from subscribed to unsubscribed. When the user logs in again, notification status is returned to subscribed. So, unknown to the user, he could be in fact automatically unsubscribed for ever, without choosing that by his free will.

There are people subscribed to many forums, 20, 30, maybe even more. You can easily forget or have no time to visit them all at once. You end up with a cancellation of notifications making you think nothing new happened in that thread of that forum.

What I suggest is this: instead of present strategy of notifications, decrease the frequency of notifications from "instant" to "daily". That solves 2 things: avoids multiple notifications and yet keeps the user aware that thread is active. In other words, stop using "till user logs in" criteria.

02-24-2013 06:29 AM