Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
O2 Sensor Extender & AFR's
Jeephigh_11 Offline

O2 Sensor Extender & AFR's
Currently running a 2007 Jeep Patriot with fuel warmer and personal K&N intake system, also adding Acetone and Xylene to most every fill up. The EFIC don't do the job when it comes to Air Fuel Ration sensors instead of the common narrow band O2 sensors on almost all cars from 2004 and later. Trust me on this, the EFIC doesn't work with AFR's, I spent many hours on the road and in the garage only to learn I had a 5 + Volt AFR sensor.

Here's the results:

I want to make it though a full tank before I get the analog result of fuel consumed but I can tell you the O2 extender works, for good and bad. The scangaugeII is reading in the negatives for short term fuel trim, while before it was mostly in the positive range, this equals less fuel, not just because the SGII is telling me with both the MPG read out, but also because the Jeep has a slight bit less Horse Power around normal driving conditions in the city, it;s very easy to tell that I have to put my foot into the gas a bit more when taking off, but once your up to speed, every things fine.

I did notice if my SGII is right that I'm going from 31-32 MPG Highway to 36 MPG, Thank You Thank You Thank You........... I've been working on that F#@! O2 sensor for so long and it turn out all I needed was a $9 extender. Finally, but, the only bad thing I can gather from this mod is you have little to no control over how much it's going to lean out your mixture, unless you can rig it to move in and out, but for now, I'm a happy man. I'll post my actual results after my tanks gone.

[Image: tn_IMG_3515.JPG]

[Image: tn_IMG_3835.jpg]
05-17-2008 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: O2 Sensor Extender & AFR's
This came up in another forum.... wide band sensors need to run hotter than narrow band ones. Moving the sensor out of the exhaust flow might cool it, meaning the heater in your sensor may have to run more and may shorten it's life.

OTOH, if I had room for a second extender, I'd have it installed. Blush Mine runs into a divider between the two front electric cooling fans. I'd have bend the support that is attached to the hood lock to make room.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-17-2008 07:33 PM
Jeephigh_11 Offline

I'll probably put another one on once I figure out how to get my HHO gen under control. Right now I'm having problems with the insulation on the staginess steel straps, it just keeps coming off, even that tool dip rubber stuff cracks.
05-18-2008 07:20 AM
colchiro Offline

Mine's off too. Went to demo it to my brother-in-law last week with the engine off and we both got wide-eyed as the liquid from the bubbler started to climb into the engine. Shocked

I picked up a couple check valves and will try to resolve it this week.

It's things like this that take the most time to resolve. I can't tell you how many trips I've had to make for nylon pipe fittings. Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2008 07:40 AM by colchiro.)
05-18-2008 07:40 AM
AlexR Offline

Jeephigh,

Please don't think I'm bursting your bubble here. Please do verify the mileage reading from your scanguage with your actual miles driven and fuel used.

It appears when you begin fooling various sensors that the actual mpg readings from the scanguage can be false. The scanguage is getting its info from the various sensors, and when these same sensors are being fooled it can lead to erroneous readings.

The basics of all this is to back up your results with another method, this will verify that your results are actually correct or not.

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
05-18-2008 01:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeephigh_11 Offline

Alex,

I know where your coming from with the results from the scangaugeII, but I can tell you the MPG's might be off with the SG, but the computer read out on short term fuel trim is showing negative, and from the 10,000 miles of driving with the rig showing mostly in the positive on the short term and seeing the direct relation of fuel trim to MPG output she's using less fuel, but................. I'm not going to say this until I've gotten the true figures from the first fill up. So, until then yes, it's partly speculation, but also I know how the car runs differently with this mod, and I can tell somethings happening, and it's partly deductive reasoning.

So hopefully my bubble isn't burst, because this is my LAST attempt to gain MPG, I've spent far too much time on this to get negative results.
05-18-2008 05:56 PM
AlexR Offline

I agree - the trend of your fuel trims do indicate a mileage gain. Let the rest of us know your results!

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
05-18-2008 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeephigh_11 Offline

Will do, and now I'm trying to figure out the HHO generator and how much I need to inject to make a difference in the engine. Right now I'm about 8-10 Amps and getting 500ml/Min, @ 20 amps I'm a 1000ml.min, but where is the perfect point for my ride, is it going to be a lot of HHO, a little, or just in the middle? I don't know, but I wish I had a formula like Amps to HHO = this output with a 4cyl. Any rocket scientists out there that got the E=MC^2 for HHO and output?
05-19-2008 07:29 PM
fordsohc46 Offline

did you put extenders on all of the o2 sensors or just before catalyic convertor?
06-02-2008 06:59 PM
Darrell Offline

Hello All,

If you are having problems with liquid climbing into the intake with the engine off or running, what would be the results of adding another container between the intake and the bubbler, do not add any liquid to the second container, use it as a gas collector, no liquids. This way the liquid would be stopped before it gets to the engine.

Darrell

colchiro Wrote:Mine's off too. Went to demo it to my brother-in-law last week with the engine off and we both got wide-eyed as the liquid from the bubbler started to climb into the engine. Shocked

I picked up a couple check valves and will try to resolve it this week.

It's things like this that take the most time to resolve. I can't tell you how many trips I've had to make for nylon pipe fittings. Hmm
06-17-2008 08:22 AM