Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
O2 sensors and foil...
twangin4u Offline

O2 sensors and foil...
I came here in search of info related to a problem I am having with my vehicle. I got a V6 3.3L FI '93. My intake manifold gasket is leaking. There is residual H20 (and antifreeze) seeping from the manifold, and I show a slight drop in vacuum -pressure. So anyway, there is a slight introduction of h20 into the intake which, in turn, reports from the O2 sensor that I have a lean mixture. This creates an adjustment which produces a rich mixture when there is no need. My mpg of gasoline is about 11-15mpg where it should be @ 22-25mpg. My thinking is that wrapping the sensor in tin foil may help reduce the amount of foreign exhaust molecules from being grabbed by the sensor (o2). Hopefully it will help with my low gasoline mileage.. temporarily, until I can repair the gasket. I believe that is the origin of the O2 sensor and the foil "myth" spoken of. I will let all of you know how it worked for me tommorrow. Someone out there probably thought of shielfing the sensor for this purpose and it was "tweaked" from there. While in theory it does have its practical purpose. As a performance issue I would believe it to be pure bullshit. But thats my opinion. More to this tommorrow............
01-23-2009 08:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: O2 sensors and foil...
Antifreeze is not good for an engine, it increases friction and cylinder wear. Delaying the repair is just shortening the life of your vehicle, decreasing the compression, increasing the deposits on the valves and exhaust and increasing wear that will cause it to lose power and increase oil consumption. If it's leaking bad enough to cause problem like you describe, it's time to fix it.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-23-2009 08:59 PM
saltmine Offline

WHY? Can anybody tell me why guys with an obviously "wounded" car will start adding all kinds of technology or "mysticism" instead of REPAIRING the problem? If you're looking for better gas mileage, you don't put an HHO gen on a car with it's intake manifold falling off...then blame the HHO for your poor mileage.

Here's the deal: You start with the car as mechanically sound as possible, then you can try various things to see if you get better fuel economy...

BTW, antifreeze is a wonderful way to destroy an oxygen sensor...and a catalytic converter.

Wrapping your oxygen sensor with aluminum foil isn't going to increase your gas mileage....or fix your coolant leak... Am I right, Colchiro???
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2009 08:21 PM by saltmine.)
01-25-2009 08:18 PM
Gary Offline

You're right, and the coolant is eating the cylinder alive. It will score and pit cylinder walls, rings, and pistons, overheat valves and possibly damage the plug. If it leaks bad enough for the vacuum to drop, it's REALLY bad. Get a gasket and pop it on there. You should NOT be driving it.
01-26-2009 05:48 AM
colchiro Offline

That's right guys, thanks. Antifreeze is definitely not slippery in the cylinder.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-26-2009 02:26 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-26-2009 02:26 PM)colchiro Wrote:  That's right guys, thanks. Antifreeze is definitely not slippery in the cylinder.
Ah shucks; you guys are overdoing it. He needs to suck in about a 1/4 ounce of antifreeze in solution and learn the 1st law of hydraulics: Fluids don't compress and thus somethings gotta give. Then he can help Detroit by becoming a proud new owner and "See the USA in a Chevrolet..."
01-26-2009 05:16 PM