Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OBDII scanner. (Educate me)!!!
live45 Offline

OBDII scanner. (Educate me)!!!
I've read sooooo much in this forum, the other night, my eyeballs fell out :Smile!! I noticed there are several of you that have your own scanners. I would like some input on yours, likes, dislikes, or maybe which one has the most bang for the buck. Prices would also be appreciated if you didn't mind sharing. Found many from the $30 to $300 price range. Also, which ones give live data while driving, O2, fuel trim, sensors, etc. Christmas is around the corner, may have to put the bug in ST. NICKS ear. If the price isn't too bad, my lack of patience will win out I will be a proud owner sooner.Wink
11-07-2008 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: OBDII scanner. (Educate me)!!!
Many people have a Scangauge II. It's easy to use and does give you live data as well as advanced features (xgauge) where you can customize it. It's also easy to read and clear codes.

I believe there are cheaper code readers from places like Harbor Freight for under $50, but they're designed to read and clear codes, not necessarily give you trip computer type reading like the Scangauge.

I wouldn't mind having a DashDAQ, about $700. Comparison with SG: http://www.dashdaq.com/specs/scangauge.htm I might consider it in the future, but I already own a SG and a NAV so will use what I have for now.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-07-2008 03:58 PM
Milosm Offline

colchiro Wrote:Many people have a Scangauge II. It's easy to use and does give you live data as well as advanced features (xgauge) where you can customize it. It's also easy to read and clear codes.

I believe there are cheaper code readers from places like Harbor Freight for under $50, but they're designed to read and clear codes, not necessarily give you trip computer type reading like the Scangauge.

I wouldn't mind having a DashDAQ, about $700. Comparison with SG: http://www.dashdaq.com/specs/scangauge.htm I might consider it in the future, but I already own a SG and a NAV so will use what I have for now.
Ok Rick; how do the scan gauges your talking about stack up to the digital readout most new cars have that display instant and average Mpg can they be used, or must one depend on the fill up to fill up method. I know it doesn't tell you everything, sometime too much data is more harmfull then not enough Doug.
11-07-2008 04:20 PM
live45 Offline

Without scanguage, how do tell if you are in open or closed loop????? Also GM's have the nice system called Evap. It depends on critical information to operate correctly. It draws fumes from fuel tank into a charcoal box and releases it into the intake when all conditions are correct. The fumes increase mileage. Wait a minute, did I say a vapor gas increses mileage?? Anyway, in my last truck, I lost two miles to the gallon when it failed. With HHO mods, EFIE, MAP enhancer, etc., how do you know it still works without a guage? Just one example..
11-07-2008 05:02 PM
Gary Offline

I haven't gotten Barry's scangauge to read milage correctly yet. It has to be something to do with the fillup function and resets. The instructions didn't help me there.
11-07-2008 05:03 PM
colchiro Offline

I saw one guy on the hybrid forum (Ford Escape Hybrid) was comparing the two and said he got the same readings with gas (no ethanol). As soon as they used 10% ethanol, they differed. I know I've used between 10% and 85% ethanol and the SG always was good after the next fill.

My SG should be accurate with the next fill so should be able to compare my vehicle's digital mpg reading vs my SG.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-07-2008 05:05 PM
Gary Offline

Hey guys, with a lot of searching, I found this little blog with guys having the same problems I was, and the answer is here:
Try this instead: After filling up, go to HOME>MORE>FILLUP>DONE. Once you have gone through this step, you can put in the actual gallons the next time you fill up. I went through the same thing the first time too. For it to be the most accurate, the car needs to be sitting as level as possible and stop filling after the first click of the automatic shut off. Also try to use the same pump every time. When first starting out, the ScanGauge has no idea how much gas is in the tank. By doing the HOME>MORE>FILLUP>DONE, you are letting it know that it has a full tank of gas. Then when you fill up again and go back to the FILLUP screen, the ScanGauge will show how many gallons it thinks were used. After you put in how many gallon it actually used, (what the pump says) it will update the calculations and should now be more accurate.
I'll be trying this tomorrow.
11-07-2008 06:20 PM
colchiro Offline

Sorry, Gary, I thought every SG user knew that.

That's also the fix for your inaccurate MPG after tweaking your MAF/MAP sensor (which will usually exaggerate your mileage). The fix... just leave the sensor alone, fill with gas and enter the amount of fuel and it's good again.

FWIW, you'd also want to go into "Setup" and make sure your odometer is correct (best to use a GPS or time the distance to drive 3 or 4 miles), and set your gas tank size.

Rick

11-07-2008 08:40 PM
Milosm Offline

live45 Wrote:Without scanguage, how do tell if you are in open or closed loop????? Also GM's have the nice system called Evap. It depends on critical information to operate correctly. It draws fumes from fuel tank into a charcoal box and releases it into the intake when all conditions are correct. The fumes increase mileage. Wait a minute, did I say a vapor gas increses mileage?? Anyway, in my last truck, I lost two miles to the gallon when it failed. With HHO mods, EFIE, MAP enhancer, etc., how do you know it still works without a guage? Just one example..
I think its quite easy to determine when the computer is in open or closed loop, if you know what to look for, and watch your instant MPG reading, in my GM when the car is cold the mpg for a given speed it will be low when it goes closed loop you will see the instant mpg reading go higher. I think all you would have to do is keep a mental note of what your engine is doing at different speeds and loads.
What I meant to ask, is the on board computer as accurate as the scan gauge when it comes to instant mpg and rpm readings, and when adjusting the efie, will I see an instant change in the mpg reading? How long does it take the O2 sensor to talk to the computer and for it to make changes to the injectors?
11-07-2008 08:44 PM
thomasbala Offline

colchiro Wrote:Sorry, Gary, I thought every SG user knew that.

That's also the fix for your inaccurate MPG after tweaking your MAF/MAP sensor (which will usually exaggerate your mileage). The fix... just leave the sensor alone, fill with gas and enter the amount of fuel and it's good again.
Colchiro:

Thought I knew it all until I read your post about MAP/MAF reset with ScanGauge set up, FILLUP. I gave up on MAP/MAF mods in July because of the "false" ScanGauge readings. Now, after your post, I understand and will again play with my MAF sensor [ I know O2 sensors "rule"].

I think you can teach old dogs new tricks. The mistake we're making is thinking everyone is progressing at the same rate folks like you are. Perhaps, at the risk of insulting a poster, we should, on reply, assume they're newbees. You sure taught me; I was thankful rather than insulted. Let's use this "time out" from high gas prices to get up to speed on HHO and perhaps other fuel saving methods to beat our bondage to "big oil".
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 08:32 AM by colchiro.)
11-07-2008 09:21 PM