Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OPEN/CLOSED LOOP
hiddengiant Offline

OPEN/CLOSED LOOP
I'm sure someone will have something to say about this one:

I have my efie hooked up CORRECTLY. To revert back to the original signal from the o2 sensor to the computer, I have my wires inside my car where I can hook up the sensor back to the original and bybass the efie. I've been building HHO systems for the past three weeks and finally got one that pumps out a lot of gas. In addition, I've been adjusting my efie to find the best setting. Result are NO DIFFERENCE. I know my HHO is working and I know I have the efie hooked up right. SO......

My scan gauge indicates when my car is in Open/Closed loop. It changes to Closed after a warm up time. This morning I unplugged the o2 sensor completely before I started the car and took my son to school. After the usual warm up time, the car went into CLOSED loop. The o2 sensor is UNPLUGGED! What's up with that?

Tim
05-13-2008 06:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: OPEN/CLOSED LOOP
Just curious- what does your scanguage say that tells you when you are in closed/open loop?
The car runs rich when cold and is in open-loop. After it, the O2 sensor, warms up, it goes to closed-loop. The car will not run right/good w/o the O2 sensor hooked up. And your Engine Light will come on.
What year of car do you have? Are you sure the O2 is not hooked up?
05-13-2008 07:01 AM
hiddengiant Offline

2000 Toyota Corolla 1.8

Yes I'm sure the o2 sensor is hooked up. I cut the signal line and put adapters on both ends to run wires into my car. That's where I hook up the efie. All readings are normal for what it should be putting out.

- o2 sensor line jumps around between .2 and .7 volts
- The end going to the computer shows a strange reading I can't remember, but it's not in the range I just mentioned.
- When I reconnect the o2 sensor with the wires inside my car, bypassing the efie, I get normal o2 readings like above.
- My scan gauge literally says CLSD LOOP or OPEN LOOP.

I do understand the cold and warm conditions of the sensor and how they operate. That's why I'm confused about this situation where I unplug the sensor.

Tim

rpatzer Wrote:Just curious- what does your scanguage say that tells you when you are in closed/open loop?
The car runs rich when cold and is in open-loop. After it, the O2 sensor, warms up, it goes to closed-loop. The car will not run right/good w/o the O2 sensor hooked up. And your Engine Light will come on.
What year of car do you have? Are you sure the O2 is not hooked up?
05-13-2008 07:16 AM
jksav7 Offline

I've heard of this before, and I don't understand it. But if it's indeed in closed loop and not negatively affecting gas mileage than perhaps you can focus on other sensors (MAP) to trigger a lean affect.

hiddengiant Wrote:This morning I unplugged the o2 sensor completely before I started the car and took my son to school. After the usual warm up time, the car went into CLOSED loop. The o2 sensor is UNPLUGGED! What's up with that?

Tim
05-13-2008 07:33 AM
rpatzer Offline

OK- I am a little lost here. I though your complaint was the car ran in closed-loop AND your O2 was unplugged. Now you say it is plugged in. I don't think the car will run correctly w/o the O2 inline.
05-13-2008 08:35 AM
hiddengiant Offline

I am so sorry. I meant that it is NOT plugged in. I finally got an CEL that indicated (at least one of the options) that the connection to the sensor is broken. That at least gives me some valuable info. Sorry for the miscommunication!

rpatzer Wrote:OK- I am a little lost here. I though your complaint was the car ran in closed-loop AND your O2 was unplugged. Now you say it is plugged in. I don't think the car will run correctly w/o the O2 inline.
05-13-2008 09:04 AM
hiddengiant Offline

A few weeks ago, I started building a MAF enhancer but never finished it because I had too many things going. I guess I'll finish it now and address that.

Thanks for the input!

Tim

jksav7 Wrote:I've heard of this before, and I don't understand it. But if it's indeed in closed loop and not negatively affecting gas mileage than perhaps you can focus on other sensors (MAP) to trigger a lean affect.

hiddengiant Wrote:This morning I unplugged the o2 sensor completely before I started the car and took my son to school. After the usual warm up time, the car went into CLOSED loop. The o2 sensor is UNPLUGGED! What's up with that?

Tim
05-13-2008 09:05 AM