Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
*Official* Smacks Booster Results Thread
jksav7 Offline

RE: *Official* Smacks Booster Results Thread
If you're referring to applying 12 volts to every + plate then, no, that won't work. It will overheat in short order.

Darrell Wrote:Hello All,

Has anyone tried or thought about trying alternating the plates like +N-N+N-N+N-N+N-N+N-N+N-N and use the normal spacing between the plates? With alternating positives and negatives you may need to use more than two nylon bolts, washers and the plate setup or cell may need to be suspended slightly off the bottom, but with the SS straps supporting the cell that shouldn't be a problem, if I am reading the cell configurations correctly, by alternating the positives and negatives you would end up with 6 cells using 12 plates. What is the best grade of SS that can be used in the fuel cell design? My wife suggested using SS cookware, most of that stuff is a higher grade than I have seen used in the fuel cell designs.
Darrell
06-16-2008 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darrell Offline

OK, well what if you use a fuse in your power supply and cut it down to say 6 plates and used saltwater or rather salt in your water??
06-16-2008 10:32 AM
colchiro Offline

retmil46 Wrote:I'm modifying the cell plate arrangement as well.

+NNNNNN- 6 neutral plates.

Mitch, the + and - plates produce the most gas and by dropping out one you'll probably notice the drop in gas.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-16-2008 03:06 PM
Darrell Offline

Hello All,

Does the size of the SS plate matter? My wife suggested using 18/10 stainless steel cooking pots as material to use in making the plates. Would this ideal be a problem? I would have to cut the pots into square plates and do a little straightening, but cooking pots are made to handle high temps.
What thickness SS should I be looking for? What about perforated stainless steel? Perforated would allow good water flow...........

Thank you for your time and help,
Darrell
06-16-2008 08:57 PM
BroBob1 Offline

Perforated might work well! A fellow worker purchased one that uses perforated SS set up like a Joe Cell. I noticed that Mcmaster Carr has this material available on there website, you will also find under SS shim stock quite the selection available. I've been able to purchase just about everything that I need from them, and they get it to you right away!Big Grin

Does the size of the SS plate matter? My wife suggested using 18/10 stainless steel cooking pots as material to use in making the plates. Would this ideal be a problem? I would have to cut the pots into square plates and do a little straightening, but cooking pots are made to handle high temps.
What thickness SS should I be looking for? What about perforated stainless steel? Perforated would allow good water flow...........

Darrell
06-17-2008 02:05 AM
jksav7 Offline

I would think that perforated SS would only make the parasitic voltage worse. The plates don't have to be thick. Less than a sixteenth of an inch will do just fine. It is important for them to be the same size and thickness. The spacing needs to be consistent, as well.

Darrell
06-17-2008 03:22 AM
jksav7 Offline

Salt as a catalyst will do a number on the SS. Don't use it. Only NaOH or KOH is recommended.

Darrell Wrote:OK, well what if you use a fuse in your power supply and cut it down to say 6 plates and used saltwater or rather salt in your water??
06-17-2008 03:23 AM
Grisen Offline

glbart Wrote:the smacks booster works very well, mine produces 1.5L at 13 to 14v 15 to 25 amp draw. With no MPG change????????????

I just built a Smack and tested it against my http://www.savefuel.ca PVC cannister generator. It produces twice the gas as the savefuel on the same amperage draw, about 1.5 L on 13 amps feeding an inverted 2 L soda bottle in a bucket. So it's a much more efficient unit. I did not roughen up the plates, since the Eagle Research folks say this doesn't produce any gain-- in fact, in the pictures of the Smack on Eletrik's site, his plates are so roughed up that the plates are bent and they don't have a uniform spacing, which would produce a "short" wherever they are really close to each other. I wouldn't use a center punch on those plates-- it bends them.

Keep in mind that we are looking for:

1. Efficient production of gas for the amperage, since it takes fuel to produce the electricity. The Smack appears to be fairly efficient.

2. The "sweet spot" for your vehicle-- how much HHO to feed. The HHO is just a catalyst for gasoline combustion, so more is not necessarily better. A 15 to 20 amp draw on the alternator is a huge user of energy. I would cut that back and try a third to half the HHO (running a more diluted electrolyte) -- then gradually increase to see where the sweet spot is. You may be using up your fuel gains by producing too much gas. Look at Eagle Research's Hyzor book, where they recommend something like 13 liters per hour for a 2 liter 4 cylinder. If that's true, then 1.5 L per minute would be too much for a 6 liter V8

3. The sweet spot on the EFIE. Researching my Toyota Camry, the Toyota training materials say that the ECU/computer is looking for variations of 10% around the average 02 sensor voltage of 450 millivolts. So the EFIE should be run for this vehicle at less than 100 millivolts. Your heated O2 sensor may be different, but I think that starting at 200 millivolts and going up is too high on the EFIE. I'd like to hear other people's experience on that, since I'm going to install these in cars other than just the Toyota.

Thanks for a great discussion.
06-18-2008 08:33 PM
rebel Offline

I don't think you are alone "with no MPG gain" . I am getting inconsistent MPG results using the smack as well as other generators or cells I have tried.

After watching the videos for the Booster Rally Ride, by Electrik
and seeing the results there, I am more confused than ever by reading about some of the fantastic mileage claims by others.

I guess all we can do is, to keep trying.....

glbart Wrote:the smacks booster works very well, mine produces 1.5L at 13 to 14v 15 to 25 amp draw. With no MPG change????????????
06-20-2008 07:50 AM
Kricnit Offline

Most don't realize that you need to be extremely consistent on your highway speed when evaluating fuel economy. Even a 2-3 MPH change in average velocity will effect your results. I have a 2002 PT Cruiser Mad that will get 25.5 MPG @ 70MPH, 27.3 MPG @ 65MPH, and 34.5 MPG @ 55MPH speeds. These tests were done over several tanks with the speed highly regulated. If your are not maintaining your speed religiously you will not get accurate results and your data is just garbage.

Also the HHO only functions to form addition water vapor in the cylinder after combustion to cool the engine in a lean burn condition. (The energy to produce HHO is greater then energy supplied from combustion) A much greater cooling effect to operate an engine on a leaner fuel ratio can be accomplished by water / methanol injection. This has been done since WWII on fighter planes, and more recently in high revving race cars. Course they did it to apply additional cooling, but the same can be accomplished in a lean burn engine. The main issue is that Nox emissions skyrocket (Acid rain) and your car no longer meets EPA emissions requirements.

rebel Wrote:I don't think you are alone "with no MPG gain" . I am getting inconsistent MPG results using the smack as well as other generators or cells I have tried.

After watching the videos for the Booster Rally Ride, by Electrik
and seeing the results there, I am more confused than ever by reading about some of the fantastic mileage claims by others.

I guess all we can do is, to keep trying.....

06-20-2008 10:57 AM