Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oxygen sensor wrapped in Tin Foil??
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Question Oxygen sensor wrapped in Tin Foil??
Hello. newbe here with a question. (I hope this is the right place to ask it)

I recently assembled and installed an HHO gen on my 95. F.Probe.
It is a 2.0 L and only has one O2 sensor.
I read with the instructions that came with the HHO kit to wrap the O2 sensor several time in tin foil (to heat it up more and trick it into thinking it is running too hot and thus leaning out the gasoline mixture).

I am wondering is anyone else here has tried doing this to the o2 sensor and if it works (or sounds like it should work)?

Thanks.
04-21-2008 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcite Offline

RE: Oxygen sensor wrapped in Tin Foil??
The only thing that I have seen this affects is with the O2 sensor wrapped it warms up quicker. This helps the system lock into closed loop faster especially in cold weather. I dought that it will lean anything out.
04-21-2008 07:05 PM
mike Offline

The tinfoil trick is not very effective.

The cheapest method (that has some workability) is get an O2 extender. If you search on ebay, you can find them there by searching that name. They're $10 + shipping, I believe. They work, but they aren't adjustable, and very limited.

The best handling is to get an EFIE. These are more expensive but are the correct way to handle oxygen sensor signals. You can get them here.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-21-2008 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

I paid $9.99 with free shipping from kensmith.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-22-2008 04:26 AM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Thanks so much for the replies.
I was kinda skeptical of the tin-foil wrap myself - which is why I asked about it here.

I went to the EFIE link you posted, mike. Can you tell me the difference (other than the price) between the single EFIE basic and the single EFIE circuit board? I notice that one's rubber coated and the other isn't. Is this to provide protection for the circuit?
If I purchases the curcuit board (yes I know I'm cheap.. and on a budget), would there be an easy way to protect it from weather and heat? Or is that the whole intended purpose of the extra $10 upgrade to the rubbber one?

I only have one O2 sensor.

thanks again everyone.
04-22-2008 05:48 AM
mike Offline

Yes, the rubber dip is so you can just stick the EFIE under the hood somewhere, and it will be protected. The bare circuit board is for guys who are building some mad science project of their own, and already have an enclosure that can house the circuit board.

The Single EFIE Basic is probably what you want. It is the least expensive in that you can install it as is, without having to buy an enclosure for it.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-22-2008 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

:)Thanks mike!
one more "?".,.. about how long is the cord on the EFIE basic? Does it come with instructions of how to plug it into the O2 sensor? I am no mechanic and am learning all of this as I go along.

Thanks!
04-22-2008 09:59 AM
mike Offline

The basic EFIE only has 5" of wire coming out of it. You'll have to supply the wire to route to the oxygen sensor.

You can find the installation instructions at the following links:

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieCircuitBoard.html

The 2nd document gives information about the Basic EFIE versions.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-22-2008 10:09 AM