Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PWM alternative?
JonnyBravo Offline

RE: PWM alternative?
wgc Wrote:No, It is not like a dimmer. A dimmer decreases voltage.
A PWM's current is what changes. That's why they are used on motors.

Actually, a light dimmer is a basic PWM, except it doesn't need to create the modulation since AC current already has this in it. Smile

A modern light dimmer doesn't lower the voltage at all, but simply "clips" a part of the sine wave to control how much of the sine wave actually is given to the load.
08-22-2008 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JonnyBravo Offline

wgc Wrote:
waterboy1 Wrote:This sounds interesting. Is anyone on this forum using one now?? and what are results? Thanks

I am currently using on with the 6 pack configuration.
Direct DC connection had a draw of 12 to 15 amps.
With the PWM, the draw is now .6 amps.

The 6 pack is wired in this configuration:
O-O-O--(+)
| | |
O-O-O--(-)

Soon I will migrate to a single bath, multi-plate cell design.
A time permits...

I'm just curious on how you are measuring your amperage draw when you apply a PWM. I would think it would take a sophisticated multimeter of some sort since now it needs to average the amperage draw across from when the PWM is in its duty cycle and when it is in an off stage. A regular meter wouldn't be able to do this correctly since the power is fluctuating so fast from off to on. Just curious what you're using...
08-22-2008 09:10 AM
glbart Offline

WGC is your output of hho the same or better w/pwm?? I have 12 cells w/no pwm. 10amps 1LPM.
08-22-2008 09:17 AM
wgc Offline

JonnyBravo Wrote:I'm just curious on how you are measuring your amperage draw when you apply a PWM. I would think it would take a sophisticated multimeter of some sort since now it needs to average the amperage draw across from when the PWM is in its duty cycle and when it is in an off stage. A regular meter wouldn't be able to do this correctly since the power is fluctuating so fast from off to on. Just curious what you're using...

Using a DMM on the battery side of the PWM. After all, we are trying to reduce the load on the alternator, primary, and also reduce heat in the HHO chamber, secondary.
08-22-2008 09:17 AM
wgc Offline

glbart Wrote:WGC is your output of hho the same or better w/pwm?? I have 12 cells w/no pwm. 10amps 1LPM.

About the same with or without, except less amps with PWM.
08-22-2008 09:18 AM
mat_tb Offline

(08-22-2008 09:18 AM)wgc Wrote:  
glbart Wrote:WGC is your output of hho the same or better w/pwm?? I have 12 cells w/no pwm. 10amps 1LPM.

About the same with or without, except less amps with PWM.

So I'm curious, if you have a PWM that can get upwards to 20khz, does that increase your HHO output? I watched a Stan Meyer video where the narrator said that he pulsated the power at 20,000 cycles per second, which was the key to higher HHO production. I found a relatively cheap PWM that you can modify to get 15khz cycle. Just looking for anyones' thoughts.
08-09-2013 06:47 AM