Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plasti Dip again...
jbalat Offline

Plasti Dip again...
I know someone mentioned he had issue but I never found out whether it was his technique or not.

I have a finished GenII smack cell.

I want to pour a thin layer of Plasti dip in a small tray and put the cell in there on its side and allow it to dry ?

What are your thoughts..

Unfortunately heat shrink bends my outer thin plates so that they are close to touching...
02-27-2009 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: Plasti Dip again...
You could use a hole punch to make dots of gasket material to lightly goop between the plates to hold them in position. But why anyone would still be working on brickinnabath units is beyond me. Even Electic went to dry cells.
02-28-2009 05:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

Plates are already assembled secured with nylon bolt already so I really just wanted to seal the edges... Just wondering whether plasti dip is ok and wont dissolve..

As for dry cells I agree with you but I am personally aming for the Bob Boyce cell as my final goal.
02-28-2009 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Plasti Dip failure tester = me.

I tried the stuff, used the gen, noticed a DECREASE in output, ripped the cell apart, and posted results on youtube. I bet it was my technique like you were questioning, but in all honesty, I would just look into getting heat shrink tape online for very cheap for a huge roll of it. I still have over 100' x 4" roll left and it only cost me $28 shipped, but I've wrapped maybe 20 cells with it. The Plasti Dip is time consuming, messy, and if you aren't MEGA patient (over 30 minutes per side, no joke), it will fail. Plasti Dip = lose for HHO, sorry. Plus I think it disolves in the NaOH solution.

Or just toss the wet cell and start dry, it's easier than you think. Big Grin

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
03-04-2009 11:26 PM
jbalat Offline

Cool,
I couldnt wait for a response and as I mentioned the heat shrink bends my plates

I used some 3mm perspex and used a router with X and Y table to make my 1.2mm grooves.. It took me 2 hours but I now have some cool looking cover plates for each side of the cell which maintains the gap.

I plan to use a slice of rubber bike tube to hold both cover plates from falling off
03-05-2009 02:37 AM
Gary Offline

Since you insist on using your wet bath cell - why not cover the bottom that way too? That should give you some modicum of efficiency at least. Goop that piece to the other two.
03-05-2009 04:36 AM
colchiro Offline

Zero had a video where he sealed the edges. Anyone remember how he did it? I know it wasn't plasti-dip tho.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-05-2009 05:08 AM
jericoriver Offline

(03-05-2009 05:08 AM)colchiro Wrote:  Zero had a video where he sealed the edges. Anyone remember how he did it? I know it wasn't plasti-dip tho.
The one I remember was plexaglass and goop. It covered the sides, Part of the bottom and top. leaving a space at the top and bottom open for keeping the cell full.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2009 05:47 AM by jericoriver.)
03-05-2009 05:47 AM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

The heat shrink tape doesn't really shrink like at all, it's more of just a wrap and insulator. If you're die hard on the wet cell, I highly highly HIGHLY recommend this (and I've tried a lot so take my word).

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
03-05-2009 07:21 AM
Gary Offline

(03-05-2009 05:47 AM)jericoriver Wrote:  
(03-05-2009 05:08 AM)colchiro Wrote:  Zero had a video where he sealed the edges. Anyone remember how he did it? I know it wasn't plasti-dip tho.
The one I remember was plexaglass and goop. It covered the sides, Part of the bottom and top. leaving a space at the top and bottom open for keeping the cell full.

If the TOP is submerged, the BOTTOM need not be open at all. You know, water running downhill and all those rumors...
03-05-2009 07:30 AM