Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plastic Housings
Liveguy Offline

Plastic Housings
Can somebody give me knowledgable advice on plastic housings for HHO generators. I know some people like to us SS glass lined containers but I don't like them, the look of them and the risks of shorting are always there if not maintined correctly.

Some plastics are better than others and in the event that bubblers are not fitted or misused on a generator, overheating, creeping and suffering will occur. Some suggest CPVC along with PVC but their temperature thresholds concern me.

I have heard that polycarbonate tubing is ideal for HHO generators with temperatures going to 125 degrees celcius. Durability is good and chemical friction and activity does in no way interfere with them. Sovency is not supposed to be great though.

Has anybody else come up with a suitable plastic to use for Housings? I currently use the mason jar method but in an event of over heating or flashbacks, you might have a messy situation on your hands especially if you are dealing and selling to the public.

Would love seasoned experimenters advice on this one!
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2008 12:42 PM by Liveguy.)
08-11-2008 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dpater47 Offline

RE: Plastic Housings
lexan,if you can find a good price on it.it will not melt under the heat of the cells and is shatter proof.i checked for a product and talked to a few people and that is what they suggested,so i'am having 2 built by a guy here in so.florida.and here swears they will with stand the heat or no charge.i'll let you know by the end of the week.and i also made sure it would stand the the chemicals,he says he has built quite a few and has had no problems.anyone with any knowledge of lexan , let us know.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2008 01:48 PM by dpater47.)
08-11-2008 01:45 PM
Liveguy Offline

Thanks dpater, will check that out on my end also. Let me know how you get on. Cheers!
08-11-2008 02:03 PM
Liveguy Offline

Hey, just found out that Lexan is a Polycarbonate resin so they are pretty much the same. I would say both are worth the extra few bucks, you got one touch HHO housing there, a job for life no doubt!
08-11-2008 02:10 PM
maxlarue Offline

Liveguy Wrote:Can somebody give me knowledgable advice on plastic housings for HHO generators. I know some people like to us SS glass lined containers but I don't like them, the look of them and the risks of shorting are always there if not maintined correctly.

Some plastics are better than others and in the event that bubblers are not fitted or misused on a generator, overheating, creeping and suffering will occur. Some suggest CPVC along with PVC but their temperature thresholds concern me.

I have heard that polycarbonate tubing is ideal for HHO generators with temperatures going to 125 degrees celcius. Durability is good and chemical friction and activity does in no way interfere with them. Sovency is not supposed to be great though.

Has anybody else come up with a suitable plastic to use for Housings? I currently use the mason jar method but in an event of over heating or flashbacks, you might have a messy situation on your hands especially if you are dealing and selling to the public.

Would love seasoned experimenters advice on this one!
08-17-2008 10:36 PM
maxlarue Offline

I hear the 1/2 inch Polycarbanate plastic works very well. Kind of spendy but supposed to with stand heat and chemicals
08-17-2008 10:38 PM
boondoc holiday Offline

Ha! Guess you could try a Nalgene bottle eh?
08-18-2008 06:20 AM
Liveguy Offline

Hey guys, polycarbonate tubing is very expsensive to buy, would for sure do the job and do it good but I will experiment with cpvc and see how I got on. I was told by a manufacturer that this is great for high temperature also and very easy to work with. I would stay away from pvc though.

Cheers!
08-22-2008 02:48 AM
c02cutter Offline

Liveguy Wrote:Hey guys, polycarbonate tubing is very expsensive to buy, would for sure do the job and do it good but I will experiment with cpvc and see how I got on. I was told by a manufacturer that this is great for high temperature also and very easy to work with. I would stay away from pvc though.

Cheers!

Polycarbonate is very expensive, but very useful for building cell containers. An idea for people to try is if you have a plastics distributor near by, stop in they will always have pieces in their dumpster from doing custom cuts of flat polycarbonate. Don't just take it, but ask, and if you know how much you need to build a container out of they may just give it to you for free. You would be amazed what they will give away to just the average “Joe” walking in. I have had places even purposely hold scrap pieces that were a bit larger than I needed and call me when they had them.

Have an idea on paper, and know how much you would need of a thickness to do the project. Only take what is needed to do your project, and if another comes down the road, they will probably be willing to do it again for you.

Constructing with polycarbonate is real easy, a table saw, miter saw, and a drill press and you can build about anything. If you plan on tapping threads in it you should have a heat gun also as heating the material will help in tapping it.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2008 02:05 PM by c02cutter.)
08-25-2008 02:04 PM
hygear Offline

Co2cutter, Just curious about polycarbonate.Is that the same material as type 1 sheet pvc?

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
08-25-2008 03:17 PM