Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plastic Housings
c02cutter Offline

RE: Plastic Housings
hygear Wrote:Co2cutter, Just curious about polycarbonate.Is that the same material as type 1 sheet pvc?

No it is not. Polycarbonate is miles stronger, and heat resistant. Polycarbonate is Lexan (GE's Trade name for the product)
08-26-2008 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liveguy Offline

I might add something to this hygear. Both are thermoplastics and polymers, however, their molecular arrangement differentiates them from each other. PVC stands for Polyvinyl Chloride and Polycarbonate contains multiple hydrocarbon bonds.

PVC has a melting point of 80 degrees celcius whereas PC has a mp of 250 degrees. Also PC has a higher pressure threshold than PVC. PC provides excellent housing for Hydroxy cells, particularly the clear type as you can see its interior.
08-26-2008 02:59 PM
c02cutter Offline

Liveguy Wrote:I might add something to this hygear. Both are thermoplastics and polymers, however, their molecular arrangement differentiates them from each other. PVC stands for Polyvinyl Chloride and Polycarbonate contains multiple hydrocarbon bonds.

PVC has a melting point of 80 degrees celcius whereas PC has a mp of 250 degrees. Also PC has a higher pressure threshold than PVC. PC provides excellent housing for Hydroxy cells, particularly the clear type as you can see its interior.

I was thinking smoked grey, for the sneaky stealth look...lol
08-26-2008 03:57 PM
hygear Offline

Liveguy Wrote:I might add something to this hygear. Both are thermoplastics and polymers, however, their molecular arrangement differentiates them from each other. PVC stands for Polyvinyl Chloride and Polycarbonate contains multiple hydrocarbon bonds.

I looked up the specs on type 1 pvc on McMasters Carr before I built my cell.You're right max temp about 200 deg F,I'd be cocerned if I used it on say a smacks or other common bath type that creates a lot of heat.Even pulling 32amps on 7 plates(can switch from 7 to 8 plates for faster warm up)my cell's barely warm to the touch after several hours running.I found that at 3/4"thick the pvc end plates wont bow as much when the bolts are tightened ,and won't heat up at all.And type 1 is little easier on the wallet than lexan.I have to admit smoke gray sounds cool Cutter.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
08-27-2008 02:42 PM
c02cutter Offline

hygear Wrote:

I looked up the specs on type 1 pvc on McMasters Carr before I built my cell.You're right max temp about 200 deg F,I'd be cocerned if I used it on say a smacks or other common bath type that creates a lot of heat.Even pulling 32amps on 7 plates(can switch from 7 to 8 plates for faster warm up)my cell's barely warm to the touch after several hours running.I found that at 3/4"thick the pvc end plates wont bow as much when the bolts are tightened ,and won't heat up at all.And type 1 is little easier on the wallet than lexan.I have to admit smoke gray sounds cool Cutter.

You can get it in a pink tint too for the wifes car..lol, Yes Polycarb is expensive, but in the long run it is worth it on a known working design. HDPE is another plastic to look at, it is cheaper, and has good opperating temps...-200F to max +300F.
08-27-2008 03:25 PM
hygear Offline

You can get it in a pink tint too for the wifes car..lol, Yes Polycarb is expensive, but in the long run it is worth it on a known working design. HDPE is another plastic to look at, it is cheaper, and has good opperating temps...-200F to max +300F.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip,I'll call my friend at the plastics company and see if he carries the HDPE.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 02:39 AM by hygear.)
08-28-2008 02:39 AM
DLJ Offline

Hi i use water filter housing for my cell,s in see through blue pvc nice job !
08-29-2008 12:19 AM
HHOFuel Offline

Liveguy Wrote:Can somebody give me knowledgable advice on plastic housings for HHO generators. I know some people like to us SS glass lined containers but I don't like them, the look of them and the risks of shorting are always there if not maintined correctly.

Some plastics are better than others and in the event that bubblers are not fitted or misused on a generator, overheating, creeping and suffering will occur. Some suggest CPVC along with PVC but their temperature thresholds concern me.

I have heard that polycarbonate tubing is ideal for HHO generators with temperatures going to 125 degrees celcius. Durability is good and chemical friction and activity does in no way interfere with them. Sovency is not supposed to be great though.

Has anybody else come up with a suitable plastic to use for Housings? I currently use the mason jar method but in an event of over heating or flashbacks, you might have a messy situation on your hands especially if you are dealing and selling to the public.

Would love seasoned experimenters advice on this one!

I always use acrylics! Check out my vids at http://www.youtube.com/rain4fuel

HHOFuel.net
09-09-2008 07:53 PM
Frodoro Offline

In fact, glass is too finicky. I am currently using polycarbonate tubing and I have no problem of using it. However, the price is very expensive.

Structural Foam
09-03-2010 10:05 PM