Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plate sanding
owen1969 Offline

Plate sanding
I was wondering if all plates needed to be cross hatched or just the neg? I beleive I read somewhere that the neg produces hydrogen and the pos produces oxygen, or annode and cathode. In my series cell Im working on Im going to takes ricks advice(colchiro) and put plates like this +-+-+-+-+-+-+ in each of 4 cells, so alot of sanding here, and I was also wondering if anyone has used corregated plates instead , I think if we used these type plates for neg thst the bubbles could not possibly stick to them but also we are losing valueable plate surface at the same time. Just a thought, I will be looking around to try to come up with a better system than sanding, even with very course sandpaper the plates are not that scared up, There must be a better way. So in the mean time if anyone knows wich ones needed to be done please pass it on , Thanks and as always "HAPPY MOTORING"
07-05-2008 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Plate sanding
People have quoted Boyce as saying that sanding does nothing yet Smacks says to do it. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal if they can't agree on it. I would think that the coarser the better if you were to do it, provided it didn't warp the plates.

What vehicle/engine size you using this with?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-05-2008 11:24 AM
owen1969 Offline

Rick, This is the vehicle -series design I was chatting with you about before, These cells are going on a 2001 f-350 7.3ltr diesel. Maybe I only need 7 or 9 plates, as you said before that with 4 cells Im looking at 3 volts p/cell so no neutral plates. What kind of design do you think I should start with? You also mentioned using a PWM as long as it controlled volts and amps(I think thats what you said) Like I have said numerous times that electronics goes right over my head, never even hooked up a light in my life so Im learning slow-very slow. But never the less Im learning.
_

colchiro Wrote:People have quoted Boyce as saying that sanding does nothing yet Smacks says to do it. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal if they can't agree on it. I would think that the coarser the better if you were to do it, provided it didn't warp the plates.

What vehicle/engine size you using this with?
07-05-2008 04:44 PM
colchiro Offline

Ok, with a big engine (and a diesel) you will probably need a lot of output. That's the part I wasn't sure of. I'm not sure 4 cells is enough. It's a start tho.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-05-2008 04:59 PM
Fatman1 Offline

I sand all my plates by hand with 80 grit, in the test I did it made a diffence. But still can't get pass the heat thing after a few hours.
07-06-2008 07:11 PM
colchiro Offline

There's at least 3 threads in the last week with series cell in the title. Here's the latest: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=840 but I encourage you to check out the others.

If you want to cut down heat, decrease your amperage and increase output, you should check those out.

Rick

07-06-2008 07:28 PM
Fatman1 Offline

I been running 10-15 amps making 1 -1.3LPM but they still heat up on me. Using 3.5x 6 316L plates in differt ways.
07-07-2008 04:17 AM