Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plate thickness
tomasi Offline

Plate thickness
Hi,
I built my dry cell for my diesel truck and got great results (22% MPG increase). I used 1.5mm ( 0.05 inches) 316L SS. If I use the same area although with 0.5mm thickness, which is 1/3 of the thickness that I used in my first generator, what kind of issues could i have? Would my new cell be able to draw the same amps? Would my plates erode due to its thickness?
The dry cell is producing 4LPM @ 21.5 amps and 28V.

Thanks in advance.
10-02-2009 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
diablo8109 Offline

RE: Plate thickness
Hello
I think the .5 mm thickness using 28v might be to much for them. The amps that you are drawing now will most like double. The thinner the wire or plates the hotter they will get. I think the cell might over heat so I would start with using less elctrolite in your new sell then in the older one. See how it does. Most likely you will not get 4lpm with the newer cell without it over heating.

Larry
Cutting Edge Water4Gas
10-02-2009 06:41 PM
Roland Jacques Offline

(10-02-2009 06:41 PM)diablo8109 Wrote:  Hello
I think the .5 mm thickness using 28v might be to much for them. The amps that you are drawing now will most like double. The thinner the wire or plates the hotter they will get. I think the cell might over heat so I would start with using less elctrolite in your new sell then in the older one. See how it does. Most likely you will not get 4lpm with the newer cell without it over heating.

I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Why would thickness make any difference at all as far as volts or amps? Area size yes, thickness, I dont see How. At least talking about neutral plates)

The reason Thin gauge wire overheats is because the area (cross section) is not big enough. A 4"x4" plates cross section is 1000s of times more than your wires. so really do your plates generate any heat at all. I dont think so.

The electrodes may be a different subject.
10-09-2009 05:11 PM
benny Offline

(10-09-2009 05:11 PM)Roland Jacques Wrote:  
(10-02-2009 06:41 PM)diablo8109 Wrote:  Hello

I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Why would thickness make any difference at all as far as volts or amps? Area size yes, thickness, I dont see How. At least talking about neutral plates)

The reason Thin gauge wire overheats is because the area (cross section) is not big enough. A 4"x4" plates cross section is 1000s of times more than your wires. so really do your plates generate any heat at all. I dont think so.

The electrodes may be a different subject.

The electrical resistance through your plates varies with thickness of plates. If you reduce the plate thickness you reduce the internal resistance of your generator. With the same applied voltage, I=V/R (Ohms law., you will increase the current through your generator (and vice versa)

For calculation of plate resistance the formula to use is

R = (Rho * L) / A

Rho = resistivity constant of your material, L = length, A = area

Electricity 101.

In this case L would be your plate thickness, this being the path for electrical conduction.

Are you using a PWM? If so you can easily regulate the average current through your generator. Plate thickness would be almost irrelevant in this case.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 07:10 AM by benny.)
10-11-2009 01:11 AM
tomasi Offline

Hi there

Sorry for delay in responding to this topic that I created.

I've built my second generator with the .5mm thickness plate. But I've built a "bigger" cell.

My unit is in fact 4 cells with 16 plates. Got great results!

Each cell draws 4.2 amps to produce 1 LPM. When put together to a single unit, it draws 16.8 amps/27.4V to spit 4 LPM with almost zero heat.

Got a PWM and current limiter attached to it. Looking forward to install it.

So, you guys think I'd get better results in my MPG?

Will post the results when tested.

Thanks for the responses!
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2009 12:25 PM by tomasi.)
11-10-2009 12:23 PM