Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible defective Dual EFIE?
ecm747x Offline

Possible defective Dual EFIE?
Hello there,

I am new here but have been reading a lot of good information on this forum. Unfortunately my first post is of a possible problem.
I got my Dual EFIE about 2 weeks ago. Got back from vacation and installed it this past Monday. Installation was painless since my Intrepid's PCM is under the hood on the LH side and the 02 wires were easy to get to. Ohm"d them out to make sure the wire diagram I had was correct.
I am having a bit of a problem with it though. When I plug in the multimeter leads in the rh side, after unit has been on for about 10 minutes the voltage, which I set, maintains .230. When I put the leads into the LH side of the EFIE, the voltage will read .015 and not move. I have to hold the end of the Red lead up about and inch from center to get the voltage to start climbing. Once it steadies out it I can adjust it and have it matched to the RH side of .230. But, I have to hold the red lead like this to do so. If I let it fall back to center on its own, the voltage drops to .015.
I also noticed, when I got the unit that the LH POT. inside adjustment screw is pushed way in but it works when I adjust it. I can put the leads in the rh side and it reads the voltage correctly and is steady.
I am wondering if the lh side is even correcting the 02 voltage due to what it does when I first plug the leads in.
Any input will be much appreciated.
06-19-2008 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ecm747x Offline

RE: Possible defective Dual EFIE?
One other question,

With my EFIE settings where they are at, .230, my cooling fan will come on even though the temp gauge is where it normally runs and the fans did not kick on before the EFIE was installed at this temp reading. I was thinking of putting a resistor in series between the Engine Coolant temp sensor and PCU to keep the fan from coming on so soon.
I have a 1999 Dodge intrepid with a 2.7l. Ref this wire diagram. http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetr...03f885.gif
What would be a good starting point for resistor rating? Any ideas?
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008 07:41 AM by ecm747x.)
06-19-2008 07:33 AM
mike Offline

ecm747x Wrote:Hello there,

I am new here but have been reading a lot of good information on this forum. Unfortunately my first post is of a possible problem.
I got my Dual EFIE about 2 weeks ago. Got back from vacation and installed it this past Monday. Installation was painless since my Intrepid's PCM is under the hood on the LH side and the 02 wires were easy to get to. Ohm"d them out to make sure the wire diagram I had was correct.
I am having a bit of a problem with it though. When I plug in the multimeter leads in the rh side, after unit has been on for about 10 minutes the voltage, which I set, maintains .230. When I put the leads into the LH side of the EFIE, the voltage will read .015 and not move. I have to hold the end of the Red lead up about and inch from center to get the voltage to start climbing. Once it steadies out it I can adjust it and have it matched to the RH side of .230. But, I have to hold the red lead like this to do so. If I let it fall back to center on its own, the voltage drops to .015.
I also noticed, when I got the unit that the LH POT. inside adjustment screw is pushed way in but it works when I adjust it. I can put the leads in the rh side and it reads the voltage correctly and is steady.
I am wondering if the lh side is even correcting the 02 voltage due to what it does when I first plug the leads in.
Any input will be much appreciated.

I think I understand, but I'm not sure. If I understand correctly, when you plug your meter leads into the red and black test ports on the left side, you don't read any voltage unless you move your red meter lead. Is that right? If so, then it sounds like I might've done something boneheaded. Please open the box and ensure that the wires are soldered to the test point terminals. I can't think of any other way that could happen. Also, to find out if the voltage is being supplied to the ECU, instead of measuring at the red/black test ports, measure at the white and green wires (note that right and left could be either way depending on how you're looking at the EFIE, so it may be the blue/brown wires that should be measured). I think you'll find that the voltage appears on the wires. It sounds like there's some issue with making connection at the test port. Let me know on this.

Regarding the pot, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. The adjustment screw can sometimes be in about 1/8" or so. If it's working at all, it should be fine. You can check the following post for some info about the adjustment screw: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=612 . Let me know if there's an issue regarding the adjustment screw.

Final note: You always have the option to send the unit back to me, and I will handle any issues that might exist. I'm just trying to avoid you having to wait for it, if it's a simple fix.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-19-2008 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

ecm747x Wrote:One other question,

With my EFIE settings where they are at, .230, my cooling fan will come on even though the temp gauge is where it normally runs and the fans did not kick on before the EFIE was installed at this temp reading. I was thinking of putting a resistor in series between the Engine Coolant temp sensor and PCU to keep the fan from coming on so soon.
I have a 1999 Dodge intrepid with a 2.7l. Ref this wire diagram. http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetr...03f885.gif

I don't get this one at all. Are you sure the temps are the same? Your gauge is reliable? Do you have an HHO generator or some other fuel saving device? If so, what is it?

An EFIE all by itself, will make the mix leaner than before. This could cause the engine to run slightly warmer than before, which could activate the fan. But you report the same temp, so this doesn't look like the explanation. Also if you run your EFIE only when you run an HHO gen, the engine shouldn't run warmer. It should actually run a bit cooler.

So I guess I need more data on this.

The answer to your specific question about resistor value can be found in http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-19-2008 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ecm747x Offline

mike Wrote:
ecm747x Wrote:One other question,

I don't get this one at all. Are you sure the temps are the same? Your gauge is reliable? Do you have an HHO generator or some other fuel saving device? If so, what is it?

An EFIE all by itself, will make the mix leaner than before. This could cause the engine to run slightly warmer than before, which could activate the fan. But you report the same temp, so this doesn't look like the explanation. Also if you run your EFIE only when you run an HHO gen, the engine shouldn't run warmer. It should actually run a bit cooler.

So I guess I need more data on this.

The answer to your specific question about resistor value can be found in http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

I will run with the EFIE off and make sure the fans are comming on at the same time as with it on. Just seems like the temp gauge is at the point where the fans were not on. Will let you know on this.
I will take the cover off the EFIE and let you know what it looks like inside. Just plugging the lead in straight will only show .015 volts. I have to lift the lead up and inch or so in the back ( the end going to the multimeter) then it will start reading.
I will also check the wires coming out of the EFIE to make sure it is getting voltage in the wires itself.
As far as the resistor, I wasn't sure if it mattered on the ohms of it if it was in series or parallel or not.
Thanks for getting back to me and will let you know on my findings. At work right now and will attempt to get it done this evening and post tomorrow. Thanks again Mike...
06-20-2008 09:11 AM