Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Power Source
joe38socalif Offline

Power Source
whats the best place to pull the power to run the cell from?

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
11-07-2008 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yodamaker Offline

RE: Power Source
joe38socalif Wrote:whats the best place to pull the power to run the cell from?

These schematics should simplify it for you, attached

89 Ford Probe 4cyl 51mpg/hwy
http://www.greatertech.com
11-07-2008 01:19 PM
joe38socalif Offline

ok here it shows the power source coming from the fuse box, you said take it from the battery tho right?

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
11-07-2008 02:35 PM
colchiro Offline

Hi Joe.

Yes, best to get the high current from the battery. Large power stereo amps do the same thing.

The power is controlled via a relay, which gets it's power from the fuse box from a circuit that is only live with the ignition in the "run" position. We don't want to generate hho if you're just listening to the radio. That's asking for trouble.

I prefer a switch with a red led so you know when it's on.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2008 03:05 PM by colchiro.)
11-07-2008 03:04 PM
joe38socalif Offline

colchiro Wrote:Hi Joe.

Yes, best to get the high current from the battery. Large power stereo amps do the same thing.

The power is controlled via a relay, which gets it's power from the fuse box from a circuit that is only live with the ignition in the "run" position. We don't want to generate hho if you're just listening to the radio. That's asking for trouble.

I prefer a switch with a red led so you know when it's on.

Thanks for your reply and the attachment with the diagram.
but now i have a question with it.

I got a 40 amp relay and from car quest i got a harness for it.
on the relay it is set out like this:

tab 30 = battery on the pos. side.
tab 85 = switch then to fuse box.
tab 87 = amp metter then to cell pos side.
tab 86 = ground.

1st question,
Ground wire.
can we ground it any place on the truck or should it go back to the battery?

2nd question
switch.
if we connect to the fuse box does it connect to a pos or neg.
im thinking pos so that it only powers on then the truck is on.
but then if tab 30 is running to the battery thats always going to give it power.
I have a 40amp switch that has 3 tab. on it.
1. power
2. acc
3. ground.
should I ground the power switch itself ?
and where do I hook the acc on the switch back to?

I think that covers my questions

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 11:44 AM by joe38socalif.)
11-08-2008 11:42 AM
colchiro Offline

Hi Joe.

I'd ground it to an existing ground near the cell. You don't need to ground it to the battery.

The fuse box will give you sources of +12. Many people use a fuse adapter to grab power from an existing fuse. Your auto parts store should have them too. I don't recall the name. Might be called Fuse Buddy for all I know.

You don't need an expensive 40 amp switch if you have a relay. The relay handles the 40 amps. Your switch can be a 1 amp. I'd find a cute one that looks good with your car's interior with a led to show it's turned on. There'll be a terminal on the switch that goes to ground to light up the led. I used a black rocker switch that complemented my interior.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 12:25 PM by colchiro.)
11-08-2008 12:24 PM
joe38socalif Offline

colchiro Wrote:Hi Joe.

I'd ground it to an existing ground near the cell. You don't need to ground it to the battery.

The fuse box will give you sources of +12. Many people use a fuse adapter to grab power from an existing fuse. Your auto parts store should have them too. I don't recall the name. Might be called Fuse Buddy for all I know.

You don't need an expensive 40 amp switch if you have a relay. The relay handles the 40 amps. Your switch can be a 1 amp. I'd find a cute one that looks good with your car's interior with a led to show it's turned on. There'll be a terminal on the switch that goes to ground to light up the led. I used a black rocker switch that complemented my interior.

ok that answers my ground question but not my switch question.

I got a cripm connector that I can plug into any pos post in the fuse box to get power from.

11-08-2008 01:01 PM
colchiro Offline

I thought I answered that when I suggested you had a expensive switch that wasn't need IMO.

You want to get power from a fuse that's on only when the ignition switch is in the run position, which is probably going to be a circuit associated with the engine, (not heater or radio or lights or anything that's hot all the time or on with the switch in accessory).

Rick

11-08-2008 01:24 PM
Yodamaker Offline

joe38socalif Wrote:ok that answers my ground question but not my switch question.

I got a cripm connector that I can plug into any pos post in the fuse box to get power from.

tab 30 = battery on the pos. side. (coneects battery positive side and inline 30 AMP fuse)
tab 85 = switch then to fuse box. (comes from the acc prong on the switch that is hooked up to a switched circuit from the fuse box)
tab 87 = amp metter then to cell pos side. (Goes to the positive side of the Cell)
tab 86 = ground.

1. The switch ground can be anywhere under the dash (For those that are lighted)
2. the acc goes to the #85 slot on the relay the continues through to the ground at prong #86.
3. The source is the power line from the fuse box

I think the confusion is that the cell is powered directly from the battery through the relay ( a remote switch) that is controlled by the switch which is powered by the fused/switched circuit on the fuse box.

LOL i think I got that right , But the schematic I posted in the first reply should answer all those questions.

89 Ford Probe 4cyl 51mpg/hwy
http://www.greatertech.com
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 05:57 PM by Yodamaker.)
11-08-2008 05:51 PM