Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Power supply for bench testing???
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Power supply for bench testing???
Hello everyone! I'm trying to bench test my new hydrogen generator setup to make sure that there are no shorts (Mr. G or "wound" style electrodes) and how fast it produces HHO gas. The normal bench test, but I'm stuck. What do I use for a power source for my generator?! I've tried all 3 of our car battery chargers, but none of them output anything for me, possibly because they're "smart" ones or whatever? I'm not sure, but I need to know what everyone uses for a bench test!

P.S. What if there IS a short because metals are touching? Will the generator explode, or what will happen exactly so that I may confirm this? I'm pretty sure nothing's wrong with it though...

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
07-21-2008 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

RE: Power supply for bench testing???
Aparently this isn't a popular section of the forum...

Anyways, I feel like an idiot! I just decided to use my car battery, rip it out and throw it on for a test. Here's what happened! I plugged everything in with jumper cables, and then I watched the little bubbler hose while my gen was in a different section (for safety issues). All I know is about 30 seconds after I made the final connection on the battery, there was no bubbling in the bubbler, but yet a 'pop!' sound (yay earplugs!) and a little flash at the end of the hose in the bubbler. What's this mean?! And by bubbler, I'm talking about the container of water that you put the hose in submerged for testing purposes. Like a bubbler without a top! Bubbler! :p

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-21-2008 10:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

Here are pictures that I just took when I took the cell apart after the above event. I think there was an arc somewhere inside, and this is what it looks like. Notice the brown coloration of the stainless near the top of the lid on the sheet rod-like things.

[Image: CIMG4655.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4656.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4658.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4659.jpg]

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-21-2008 11:18 PM
GreenEarthHelpPlace Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:Here are pictures that I just took when I took the cell apart after the above event. I think there was an arc somewhere inside, and this is what it looks like. Notice the brown coloration of the stainless near the top of the lid on the sheet rod-like things.

[Image: CIMG4655.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4656.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4658.jpg]

[Image: CIMG4659.jpg]

What does this configuration go into?
07-21-2008 11:46 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

It goes into my 3" ABS PVC pipe case that I made. It's 12" high. There are a couple of pictures on the forum, but here's one for ya:
[Image: CIMG4646.jpg]

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-22-2008 08:31 AM
GreenEarthHelpPlace Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:It goes into my 3" ABS PVC pipe case that I made. It's 12" high. There are a couple of pictures on the forum, but here's one for ya:
[Image: CIMG4646.jpg]

Then, the casing is non-conductive, so it has to be in "The ROLL"...

It would be very hard to control this type of arcing, if it exists...

I would lay in bed at night, not being able to sleep, if I had this design...I knocked around the idea some months ago, but I never tried it. I am a worry wart (obsessive-compulsive) and it would bother me not being able to control all the aspects of the design.

It looks cool!

Does it produce, as well? I would think that you wouldn't need much electrolyte at all...maybe tap water!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2008 03:09 PM by GreenEarthHelpPlace.)
07-22-2008 02:39 PM
colchiro Offline

Ouch.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-22-2008 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

I think maybe the roll idea isn't the one for me then...I'm not sure, does anybody have any other ideas that would help this design get better?

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-22-2008 05:38 PM
colchiro Offline

You have just one container?

If so, then go with plates and seal the edges to make a sealed series cell? (I'm not a fan of coils.... too hard to work with.)

The coils I've seen were separated with wire ties.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-22-2008 05:55 PM
ppomber Offline

Greetings! (A quick test to find any short in your cell) Use an OHM Meter. It will tell you if there is plate contact.
From your pics I can see that you have put some work into this idea! I think as you do...a series of thin shims wound around an axis would be the ideal way to maximise effective surface area. The hardest part about it is maintaining spacing in the sheets. If you can do that and not impede the flow of bubbles from the reaction, then I think you have a winner! Let me know...
07-24-2008 12:48 AM