Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Propane Vs Gasoline Fuel Efficiency?
sandramathews Offline

Propane Vs Gasoline Fuel Efficiency?
Hi!
I have a truck that actually runs on both propane and Gasoline. All I have to do is press a button to switch back and forth. I was wondering which type of fuel is more efficient? Gasoline? or Propane?

dsi r4
12-20-2009 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pinhead Offline

RE: Propane Vs Gasoline Fuel Efficiency?
That's kind of a trick question; it depends on your engine. If it has the right cam and high compression it will run better on propane. If it's an otherwise "stock" motor it will get better mileage on gas.
12-21-2009 11:21 AM
michegander Offline

One thing for sure you are set up better for a HHO system with Propane you might give it a try.

Michegander

1996 F0rd e-350 29 MPG
1998 Ford V-10 17 MPG
[/size]
01-03-2010 06:52 AM
zenkarman Offline

Well don't know about your truck, but generators can also use both fuels, and the ones using propane have to be de-rated 10%! A 6000 watt gasoline generator is only good for 5400 watts on propane.

gifts for me
06-14-2010 03:18 AM
thomasbala Offline

(12-20-2009 08:38 PM)sandramathews Wrote:  Hi!
I have a truck that actually runs on both propane and Gasoline. All I have to do is press a button to switch back and forth. I was wondering which type of fuel is more efficient? Gasoline? or Propane?
Depends upon what you mean by "efficient". If you mean something like btu's per gallon gasoline wins hands down. If you mean mpg per dollar spent a lot depends on the price, obviously. Unfortunately propane prices change with the seasons so it's almost impossible to tell unless you have a long term study. Propane has other benefits: burns cleaner, thus longer oil life; longer oil life means less wear and tear; less hydrocarbon emissions, thus cooler and longer lasting cats. UPS currently has a number of CNG vehicles in different cities. An interim study of 2 cities in Connecticut was inconclusive as to overall cost, fuel, repair, maintenance, etc. One city reporting a 2% overall loss and another a 6% gain. I know CNG isnt propane but it's close.
06-14-2010 01:30 PM
AltheaD Offline

The advantage of propane is its liquid state at a moderate pressure. This allows fast refill times, affordable fuel tank construction, and ranges comparable to (though still less than) gasoline. Meanwhile it is noticeably cleaner (both in handling, and in combustion), results in less engine wear (due to carbon deposits) without diluting engine oil (often extending oil-change intervals). Meaning to say, it is more eco-friendly than gasoline but in some other ways, it does also have advantages of negative effect. It may also be a cause of fire because it has the tendency to sink into any enclosed area. Just like the idea of the Time Square bombing.
06-23-2010 08:29 PM
wsnell8 Offline

(06-23-2010 08:29 PM)AltheaD Wrote:  ...It may also be a cause of fire because it has the tendency to sink into any enclosed area.

Actually propane and natural gas are slightly lighter than air. It is gasoline and butane that sink into enclosed areas.
06-23-2013 03:24 AM
cybie257 Offline

(06-23-2013 03:24 AM)wsnell8 Wrote:  
(06-23-2010 08:29 PM)AltheaD Wrote:  ...It may also be a cause of fire because it has the tendency to sink into any enclosed area.

Actually propane and natural gas are slightly lighter than air. It is gasoline and butane that sink into enclosed areas.

Can you please explain to me why, then, that in RV's, the propane detector is below that stove and oven and not above it? Propane DOES sink, thus the reason why you get a big flash if you start a BBQ after the controls have been on for an amount of time.

So, prove me wrong that propane is lighter than air, which would mean that it rises, not sinks.

Not at all trying to be a jerk, just don't know if you have the facts here and if you do, I would like to be educated as to the purpose of the detector being below the stove.

Thanks,
Cybie 257
07-20-2013 12:06 PM
Verdfrepler Offline

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.

dubli
09-09-2014 05:08 AM