Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proper O2 swings and mileage
danpoet Offline

Proper O2 swings and mileage
Hi Mike,
Got the Dual EFIE yesterday. Installed it, and setup preliminarily with 200mv on both front sensors on my 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 after warmup. I have a fogger fuel saver device installed. Went to work this morning, and noticed that the sensors creeped up to 250mv. I monitored one of the O2 sensors, GPH, instant MPG, and water temp with my Scangauge. I did notice that the O2 sensor still had pretty much full range sweeps from rich to lean. What would the normal reading be. Is it supposed to stay around .45 or do I push it until I set a code, or just monitor the O2 sensor for the correct reading? I also have an AutoXray 6000, and I can monitor the injector pulses. Do you have any suggestions?
06-12-2008 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malice 1 Offline

RE: Proper O2 swings and mileage
Mine is doing the same thing. If you read the installation instructions, it says that the EFIE is a finicky device and requires a long warmup time, as well as a long stabilization time in between changes.

I installed mine and immediatley leaned the crap out of it, and now I'm having to slowly tune my way back down to acceptable levels. Right now it's set on 230, for about a 15.5 AFR. When I first power it on, it will creep up to 300 over a 10 minute period, and then creep back down to 230.

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-12-2008 12:22 PM
colchiro Offline

Dan, the normal range of a narrow band sensor is anything between 0 and 1 volt. Driving down the road at a constant speed with a light load, it should be closer to the middle of that range.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-12-2008 01:55 PM
mike Offline

danpoet Wrote:Hi Mike,
Got the Dual EFIE yesterday. Installed it, and setup preliminarily with 200mv on both front sensors on my 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 after warmup. I have a fogger fuel saver device installed. Went to work this morning, and noticed that the sensors creeped up to 250mv. I monitored one of the O2 sensors, GPH, instant MPG, and water temp with my Scangauge. I did notice that the O2 sensor still had pretty much full range sweeps from rich to lean. What would the normal reading be. Is it supposed to stay around .45 or do I push it until I set a code, or just monitor the O2 sensor for the correct reading? I also have an AutoXray 6000, and I can monitor the injector pulses. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not sure what's going on with the EFIE rising like that. It's hard to tell if that's just the normal delay, or if it went to it's set point, then later raised further. But if it's settled out at .200, and then later on is at .250, that's not right. Please check this again for me and add the times to your voltage readings, so I can see how much time is elapsing. If you're not getting a steady voltage, you'll need a replacement.

As to your scangauge readings: The readings coming from the sensor (plus EFIE) will look the same before and after the EFIE is installed (or turned on). The only thing that should change is the injector timing pulses.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-12-2008 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
danpoet Offline

My left(driver) sensor stabilizes right away, but the right sensor drifts, and takes a long time to stabilize. However, I have backed off the voltage to 160mv, as 2 codes were set, 133 and 163. After about 10 min. of driving, the readings do stabilize, but the right sensor still needs touching up. As for the AFR, would I use that on my scangauge to see the effect of offset voltage? I have also been monitoring the engine temp, and it seems stable (193-195). Last night, I was testing about 3/4 throttle to see if there was any loss of power, and there wasn't. What did happen was my oil pressure shot up toward the upper end of the scale(70-80), so I immediately backed off the throttle. What would be the best method to find the "sweet spot" by using the scangauge?
06-13-2008 03:12 AM
Malice 1 Offline

I'm not familiar with all of your scangauge funtions, but if you have some sort of air fuel ratio readout, that would be best.

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-13-2008 04:28 AM
danpoet Offline

I was running at 150-170 mv, but no change from 14.6 on AFR. I tried lowering it to 100, and AFR stays the same.
06-13-2008 02:11 PM
mike Offline

danpoet, please try higher efie settings and report on the AFRs you get with each. Jump by .050 volts for each test.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-13-2008 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
danpoet Offline

Mike,
I tried as high as 230mv, with no change in AFR (14.6) I do have Hypertech programming, with regular fuel and firmer shifts. Could this prevent the AFR from changing on the Scangauge? Also, I took about a three hour trip today, and apparently my left sensor is "lazy" according to the 133 code that was set. I have noticed after a short stop that the left sensor voltage doesn't change at all for a few minutes, while the right sensor works from the start. After warmup, monitoring the left O2 with the XTRAGAUGE shows wider voltage variations from ~93 to low of ~23, while the right sensor maintains a narrower range (~40-70mv). When monitored the post cat O2s, and the lazy sensor had wider voltage shifts after awhile, and the "good sensor" maintained a narrower range. When I have driven for about 10 minutes both O2's show identical readings within tenths of a millivolt. Before I installed the fogger, I had pulled all the O2 sensors, and wirebrushed the carbon off. Pre EFIE install showed normal high and low ranges on all sensors. Are the post sensors interchangable? If so, I may try to swap the post and pre O2 sensor on Bank 1 sensor 1 to see if it responds faster upon startup. Or would I be better off replacing both pre-cat sensors?
06-14-2008 12:32 PM
HerronPerformance Offline

danpoet: how are you verifying the AFR? without the Wideband O2 that AFR is pre-programmed into the PCM and will not change as for what the PCM is 'thinking'.

http://www.herronperformance.com
06-14-2008 05:18 PM