Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quad EFIE
jdaveh67 Offline

Quad EFIE
Hi

I've just had a HHO Kit from HHOdirect.com installed on my Jeep Wrangler (2008 JK Model). Installed with a Quad EFIE.

The Jeep Wrangler has been converted to run on LPG.

The EFIE doesn't seem to be responding well though. When I tune it it never gets to the point of lugging the engine. So I really am not sure if we've tuned it right. Or is that normal. BTW the green LEDs aren't showing activity either. However my check engine light is on and I've checked the fault codes (P0131 O2 SENSOR 1/1 CIRCUIT LOW | P0138 O2 SENSOR 1/2 CIRCUIT HIGH | P0151 O2 SENSOR 2/1 CIRCUIT LOW | P0158 O2 SENSOR 2/2 CIRCUIT HIGH).

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

jdaveh67
03-17-2010 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Quad EFIE
(03-17-2010 01:10 PM)jdaveh67 Wrote:  Hi

I've just had a HHO Kit from HHOdirect.com installed on my Jeep Wrangler (2008 JK Model). Installed with a Quad EFIE.

The Jeep Wrangler has been converted to run on LPG.

The EFIE doesn't seem to be responding well though. When I tune it it never gets to the point of lugging the engine. So I really am not sure if we've tuned it right. Or is that normal. BTW the green LEDs aren't showing activity either. However my check engine light is on and I've checked the fault codes (P0131 O2 SENSOR 1/1 CIRCUIT LOW | P0138 O2 SENSOR 1/2 CIRCUIT HIGH | P0151 O2 SENSOR 2/1 CIRCUIT LOW | P0158 O2 SENSOR 2/2 CIRCUIT HIGH).

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

jdaveh67

If the green LEDs aren't blinking, then the EFIE isn't installed correctly. The green LEDs indicate that the sensor is transitioning from rich to lean. When idling or when in cruise, this should be happening frequently.

I can't tell you what's wrong with the install. Just that something isn't right. The usual suspect is having installed the EFIE to the wrong wire. Go back to section one of the instructions, and verify that you have the correct wire.

Then set the digital section to a very save voltage. I would set it to about .350 volts or so. If the EFIE won't blink on that voltage, you just aren't hooked up right.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-17-2010 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdaveh67 Offline

My auto electrician says he's quite sure he installed the EFIE correctly.

Could it be that there's a conflict with the LPG system and the EFIE? If so would there be a way around the conflict?

jdaveh67
03-19-2010 01:11 AM
mike Offline

No. The LPG doesn't change the fact that the sensors should be changing from high to low. That's just how oxygen sensors work, unless the system has been designed to ignore the oxygen sensors entirely. In that case, no adjustment to the sensors is possible. But barring that, then the sensors should be changing state frequently, and each time they change state, the LED will change.

Please measure the input wire at the EFIE. What voltage do you see on it while the engine is idling? You can measure the third wire down for this test. There will be power and ground, and then the first input from one of your sensors. Measure that wire and tell me what voltages you see.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-19-2010 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdaveh67 Offline

(03-19-2010 04:06 PM)mike Wrote:  Please measure the input wire at the EFIE. What voltage do you see on it while the engine is idling? You can measure the third wire down for this test. There will be power and ground, and then the first input from one of your sensors. Measure that wire and tell me what voltages you see.

2.5 v
03-19-2010 09:23 PM
mike Offline

You have the wrong wire. The voltage should be fluctuating between 0 and 1 volt. Usually you'll see between .3 and .8 or so because your meter averages out the voltages.

Go to section 1 of the instructions. That section covers the methods of finding your signal wire(s). At the bottom of section 1, you'll find a link to a video that shows what your meter should look like. Make sure to measure any wire you think is the signal wire and make sure that it looks like the one in the video. If it doesn't you haven't found it yet.

Identifying an incorrect wire for installing the EFIE is probably the most common mistake made. I've tried to make the directions clear on the subject, but it still happens all too frequently. But go back and get the correct wire found, and your project should resolve.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-22-2010 11:36 AM
jdaveh67 Offline

(03-22-2010 11:36 AM)mike Wrote:  You have the wrong wire. The voltage should be fluctuating between 0 and 1 volt. Usually you'll see between .3 and .8 or so because your meter averages out the voltages.

Go to section 1 of the instructions. That section covers the methods of finding your signal wire(s). At the bottom of section 1, you'll find a link to a video that shows what your meter should look like. Make sure to measure any wire you think is the signal wire and make sure that it looks like the one in the video. If it doesn't you haven't found it yet.

Identifying an incorrect wire for installing the EFIE is probably the most common mistake made. I've tried to make the directions clear on the subject, but it still happens all too frequently. But go back and get the correct wire found, and your project should resolve.

Is it possible that it's a Chrysler/Jeep issue?

I turned the switch off on the EFIE and it seems to be working now: the green lights are showing activity and I managed to tune it till the engine got close to lugging out.

So it looks as if it works now. I haven't driven around enough yet to measure actual fuel consumption so I can't tell from that perspective yet.

jdaveh67
03-22-2010 04:02 PM
mike Offline

If the lights are blinking, its working. There's really no way they can be blinking otherwise. It looks like you have solved it. Well done. Now just tune it for maximum fuel mileage, and you're done. Leave it alone after that.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2010 10:20 PM by mike.)
03-22-2010 10:19 PM
jdaveh67 Offline

Mike,

Need tips on adjusting the Quad EFIE.

As I said previously the sensors use 2.5 V as it is a dodge/chrysler engine so I have the switch on the EFIE on the off position. It’s working with the green lights flicking on and off.

I need advice on tuning the EFIE, particularly for the downstream sensors. My check engine light has come on with fault P2096 & P2098 (downstream fuel trim system lean). I had set the analog voltage on the EFIE to 2.7 V. If that’s too lean what would be the ideal setting in your opinion?

I’ve reset the ECU and set the analog voltage at 2.6 V. I’ll see how that goes. It usually takes 3 trips before the check engine lights comes on.

Will wait to see if you’ve got better advice for me on that one.

Cheers,

Dave
04-01-2010 01:28 AM
mike Offline

Hi Dave,

You have a bit of a confusion. The first 2 EFIE ports, are the digital ports. Those will have voltages in the range of 2.5 to 3.5. 2.7 is probably a bit too low, although not out of the question. But I would start a little higher to begin with. Try 2.85 and get that working, then bring it back down a little at a time.

Now the downstream EFIEs (the analog ports), won't measure in the 2.5 volt range. With your black meter probe in the black test port, and your red meter probe in the bottom red test port, you should be reading 0 to .45 volts. This is where you have seem to have a confusion. Your downstream sensors should be hooked up on these bottom 2 EFIE ports, and you should set the bottom EFIEs to .2 volts to begin with.

With those settings your car should stop throwing codes. Drive with these settings for a while and make sure that the computer will be happy with them. Once you've established that, you can lean the system further by lowering the digital voltage, and raising the analog voltage. You probably can't go lower than 2.7 volts on the digital EFIEs (although some have), and you probably can't go higher than .3 volts on the analog EFIEs (although some have). But once you've gotten some settings the engine will accept, you can then start adjusting the EFIEs further until you get a CEL again, or you find your best gas mileage.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-01-2010 09:32 AM