Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question for Gary
cjpeaceful Offline

Question for Gary
Gary, if your (2) plate H2 generator works well, do you plan on incorporating more plates? If so, how? I started the construction of my H2 acrylic generator this past weekend and as I was taking measurements I thought about using multiple plates rather than just (2) like your setup.

In my previous PVC H2 genertors I used a few plates connected together to form a single electrode. This gave me more surface area for more gas production. I thought about applying the same kind of thinking to this generator but wanted to get your thoughts.
10-13-2008 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: Question for Gary
I was putting forth some ideas of my own in the new H2 design thread:
Question is, why do we have so much heat with just two large plates? Big amps.
Question is also, how big? Too big for a v-8? I'm thinking possibly a very simple build, with a finned cooler I'm building, a reservoir I built called the "pig", and if needed, a PWM.

I've lain in bed night after night, scribbling and drawing ideas, trying to finding ways to build a sealed series separator unit. I've been beset by problems of spacing and filter replacement. Since the 3 cell dry unit died, I've gone back to hunting some filter material. Aside from that, there is the untested series method with h2. I hate it that we have to use such strong electrolyte, but we do. So any leaks will of course be soon illuminated in the consistent salt castles and corrosive machinery. So far I've done only parallell wiring on these, so could keep the mixture weak. I'm awaiting a supply of sodium citrate to try out for the next hot build.
The single cell was just a lab rat: not for use at all. (I put it on the truck for fun: it overheats) It also failed as a lab rat: the filter in it worked well, but failed in the dry cells when rust entered the picture. (came from old electrolyte from a Smack)
I have some designs in mind, but will have to be cutting, drilling, and sealing everything to exacting dimensions. This is also problematic, so I'm still thinking on it all: I don't expect it to be easy, but I want it solid.
So far no one has answered my questions about giant plates.
10-17-2008 03:54 PM
colchiro Offline

I was thinking about this the other night... how to use holes in the plates and washers to transfer h2 thru one hole and o2 thru the other in an h2 dry cell. There's got to be an easy way to do it.

I think I need to insert another brain.Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-17-2008 04:04 PM
Gary Offline

colchiro Wrote:I was thinking about this the other night... how to use holes in the plates and washers to transfer h2 thru one hole and o2 thru the other in an h2 dry cell. There's got to be an easy way to do it.

I think I need to insert another brain.Hmm

I've allready done that in my dry cell. Plate has a hole at the top to let gas from the filter side of the plate out. And there is no easy way to do it. I've been even considering drilling out bolts to use as tubes...but drilling all the way thru a stainless bolt? Uh....
10-17-2008 05:41 PM
colchiro Offline

I think it's easy to do but the opening is only the width of the gasket so might need several "slots" per cell. Might also need to use a thinker gasket (more than 1/8 inch).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-17-2008 06:00 PM
Gary Offline

???? Were you the one who proposed putting little pipes in thru the gaskets a while back? I don't get otherwise how you could cut a gasket in a dry cell.
10-18-2008 04:38 AM
colchiro Offline

Nope, wasn't me. Well let's see how my ascii art skills are today.

Code:
__________________________________________   outside of plate/gasket
|              O           O              |   holes in plates and gaskets for h2 and o2 to pass thru
|    _____________________/ \________     |   cut away gasket to let o2 exit
|   |                                |    |

Since you have:

plate | gasket | membrane | gasket | plate, etc.

you'd have a similar notch for h2 on the next gasket

Code:
|              O           O              |   holes in plates and gaskets for h2 and o2 to pass thru
|    _________/ \____________________     |   cut away gasket to let h2 exit

You might need two outlets for h2 and two for o2 on each gasket to get the flow you wanted and might need thicker gaskets.

Rick

10-18-2008 07:31 AM
jjb2888 Offline

colchiro Wrote:Nope, wasn't me. Well let's see how my ascii art skills are today.

Code:
|    _____________________/ \________     |   cut away gasket to let o2 exit

Since you have:

plate | gasket | membrane | gasket | plate, etc.

you'd have a similar notch for h2 on the next gasket

Code:
|    _________/ \____________________     |   cut away gasket to let h2 exit

You might need two outlets for h2 and two for o2 on each gasket to get the flow you wanted and might need thicker gaskets.

THis kinda sound like an idea I had and drew up? Here its is and what do you think?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-18-2008 07:35 AM
Gary Offline

I use three gaskets, one is the shower pan liner, to balance out the pinch of the other gaskets. Dont' forget that this didn't work out when the filter material swole up.
Each cell is an individual: they are just connected by the blocks, which in the center are drilled for gas. Plate polarity is mixed up *(center reversed) to keep like polarities next to each other. Simple, but lotsa parts. And where I come from, losta parts is lotsa problems, usually.
It also weighs about 12 pounds dry. The size of a football; not condusive to small spaces. I had no idea it was gonna be that big, but all the 1/8" stuff adds up fast, and the blocks are 3/4". Next plan as I said is the sealed wet cell, but I'm still experimenting with filters first. No sense making something that won't come apart with something that won't work.

Attached File(s)
.txt  H2Formulas.txt (Size: 388 bytes / Downloads: 128)
10-18-2008 04:52 PM
jjb2888 Offline

Gary Wrote:I use three gaskets, one is the shower pan liner, to balance out the pinch of the other gaskets. Dont' forget that this didn't work out when the filter material swole up.
Each cell is an individual: they are just connected by the blocks, which in the center are drilled for gas. Plate polarity is mixed up *(center reversed) to keep like polarities next to each other. Simple, but lotsa parts. And where I come from, losta parts is lotsa problems, usually.
It also weighs about 12 pounds dry. The size of a football; not condusive to small spaces. I had no idea it was gonna be that big, but all the 1/8" stuff adds up fast, and the blocks are 3/4". Next plan as I said is the sealed wet cell, but I'm still experimenting with filters first. No sense making something that won't come apart with something that won't work.
Agreed, try fiberglass. It will not soak or swell up in water, but will make a good barrier.
10-18-2008 08:03 PM