Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RPM controls the PWM ?? I have an idea..
benny Offline

RE: RPM controls the PWM ?? I have an idea..
mobilehydricity Wrote:
AlexR Wrote:
mobilehydricity Wrote:HI THERE:
The pic or a basic stamp controller. Both are easy to program via you laptop or home computer. Try looking up a magizine titled NUTS and BOLTS.. Theres normally a page or two each edition to some pic or basic stamp project. Yoy can program a basic stamp by using the WINDOWS VISUAL BASIC PROGRAM... most of the commands are in basic which is cool place to start for newbies. EXAMPLE:
input a:
if a=< 100 then print
A simple basic instruction!

The magazine is called "Nuts and Volts" - I knew what you meant though..

As an addition to the microcontroller debate, I've used the BASIC Stamp and it is a wonderful little chip. Parallax ( http://www.parallax.com ) makes it. They cost about $70 a piece.

A chip I would use, and have used, is the SX chip also made by Parallax. It has lot more horsepower that the Stamp and is much cheaper - $2.79 a piece. They also make a protoboard for $10 that has the power supply and small area to solder on your project, this includes the chip. The best part is the compiler is free and they have an excellent forum for help - free also.
YOUR RIGHT! NUTS and VOLTS. THANKS FOR THE INFO. I see that some of the other adventurers have already found a device that works in a similar way . Still a bit pricey and I'M quite sure I don't need a display to show me the status . But certainly the VMU is a work of art and indeed shows that the idea of digtal control verse analog is a cool concept. Looking at all of the pars generated to feed the ecu is the most accurate way of regulating the fuel mixture. The cost of the chips you suggested , does seem to make for a cheaper alternative . Would be easy for me to cad this into a design, along with the other hardware needed as an all in one type gizmo and still keep the cost factor down. There are quite a few low cost multimeters on the market that can be used as the system monitor, that also measures temp ,voltage and current etc. and could be intergrated by virtue of test points from the gizmo. ONCE optimized for a particular car , I, for one ,don't care about looking at a visual. One of the things, I have a question about ,is the operation of the VMU, the fact that there seems to be a touch senstive display that allows you to change the relative sensor outputs manuelly makes me think that the device functions in a manner that allows you to view the O2 ,MAP, MAF, etc , but functions in manner that requires you to manuelly make adjustments based upon the display data in order to optimize. Not sure if its a smart device, that is auto compensating or just a monitor with a digitally controlled output array. THANKS MIKE

From what I observed in the video, the VMU can be configured manually then left to run itself automatically.
Gets its feedback from ECU, MAF, O2 sensors, and possibly OBDII connection, etc.
Bit pricey for me, and may be a bit of overkill into the bargain. Fully functioned "Boy's toy"?
11-13-2008 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mobilehydricity Offline

benny Wrote:
mobilehydricity Wrote:
AlexR Wrote:
mobilehydricity Wrote:HI THERE:
The pic or a basic stamp controller. Both are easy to program via you laptop or home computer. Try looking up a magizine titled NUTS and BOLTS.. Theres normally a page or two each edition to some pic or basic stamp project. Yoy can program a basic stamp by using the WINDOWS VISUAL BASIC PROGRAM... most of the commands are in basic which is cool place to start for newbies. EXAMPLE:
input a:
if a=< 100 then print
A simple basic instruction!

The magazine is called "Nuts and Volts" - I knew what you meant though..

As an addition to the microcontroller debate, I've used the BASIC Stamp and it is a wonderful little chip. Parallax ( http://www.parallax.com ) makes it. They cost about $70 a piece.

A chip I would use, and have used, is the SX chip also made by Parallax. It has lot more horsepower that the Stamp and is much cheaper - $2.79 a piece. They also make a protoboard for $10 that has the power supply and small area to solder on your project, this includes the chip. The best part is the compiler is free and they have an excellent forum for help - free also.
YOUR RIGHT! NUTS and VOLTS. THANKS FOR THE INFO. I see that some of the other adventurers have already found a device that works in a similar way . Still a bit pricey and I'M quite sure I don't need a display to show me the status . But certainly the VMU is a work of art and indeed shows that the idea of digtal control verse analog is a cool concept. Looking at all of the pars generated to feed the ecu is the most accurate way of regulating the fuel mixture. The cost of the chips you suggested , does seem to make for a cheaper alternative . Would be easy for me to cad this into a design, along with the other hardware needed as an all in one type gizmo and still keep the cost factor down. There are quite a few low cost multimeters on the market that can be used as the system monitor, that also measures temp ,voltage and current etc. and could be intergrated by virtue of test points from the gizmo. ONCE optimized for a particular car , I, for one ,don't care about looking at a visual. One of the things, I have a question about ,is the operation of the VMU, the fact that there seems to be a touch senstive display that allows you to change the relative sensor outputs manuelly makes me think that the device functions in a manner that allows you to view the O2 ,MAP, MAF, etc , but functions in manner that requires you to manuelly make adjustments based upon the display data in order to optimize. Not sure if its a smart device, that is auto compensating or just a monitor with a digitally controlled output array. THANKS MIKE

From what I observed in the video, the VMU can be configured manually then left to run itself automatically.
Gets its feedback from ECU, MAF, O2 sensors, and possibly OBDII connection, etc.
Bit pricey for me, and may be a bit of overkill into the bargain. Fully functioned "Boy's toy"?

I see that now! again more eye candy that I don't need. A good deal of thought was put into the design of that device. It would still seem to have to work on the principals discussed earlier in this forum. I think I'm going to continue working towards a design of a gizmo with less luster , high functional characteristics and low cost. I think the SX chip you suggested is enough of a power house to do the trick. By the way , I checked out your site, nice one indeed. The vmu states that its BIOS is upgradable, I am thinking that the term bios was being used in place of rom code, as more people identify with that term. You know a flash rom
seems to be a neater way to go , so as , upgrades of standized data for individual type cars could be downloaded and upgraded thereof. LATER MIKE
11-15-2008 12:57 PM
Yodamaker Offline

Hey, if you need any help with anything, I'll do whatever I can.

89 Ford Probe 4cyl 51mpg/hwy
http://www.greatertech.com
11-15-2008 02:31 PM
mobilehydricity Offline

Yodamaker Wrote:Hey, if you need any help with anything, I'll do whatever I can.

COOOOOL!
It appears the sx chip has 4k of ee flash rom onboard .. probably would be enough on board mem . Help would be welcome.. Need to organize a method to collect some real time data from all the sensors feeding the ecu over a large scale of oprerating circumstances. This info would provide something to build, a table that a stack register could be assemnled . Might be neat to built a chart,so as it could be printed out and passed around to others who could then collect the info and log it. The first round should be from cars that are running straight petro, then the same with browns gas
GOTTA RUN
11-17-2008 07:05 AM
mobilehydricity Offline

mobilehydricity Wrote:
Yodamaker Wrote:Hey, if you need any help with anything, I'll do whatever I can.

COOOOOL!
It appears the sx chip has 4k of ee flash rom onboard .. probably would be enough on board mem . Help would be welcome.. Need to organize a method to collect some real time data from all the sensors feeding the ecu over a large scale of oprerating circumstances. This info would provide something to build, a table that a stack register could be assemnled . Might be neat to built a chart,so as it could be printed out and passed around to others who could then collect the info and log it. The first round should be from cars that are running straight petro, then the same with browns gas
GOTTA RUN
UPDATE:
It doesn't look like the programing is going to be that difficult. Most of the relationships are based as a ratio ie if I =3.5 <> 2.8 then let A =2.5.. a simple basic relationship. Not having to incorporate , programing for a video display will save a lot of ee space , could probably use a lesser sx chip with fewer addressable lines ...I/O ,A/D. ABout 2k EE mem should due. I think I will probably use basic language and interpurter for this concept. This will allow newbies to learn some basic programing skills that should help in field test and real time use of this concept and aftermaket
modifications to the core program. MIKE
11-19-2008 02:43 PM
mobilehydricity Offline

mobilehydricity Wrote:

COOOOOL!
GOTTA RUN
MO STUFF! CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE http://www.freewebs.com/mobilehydricity ( LOOK UNDER THE TOPIC ELECTRONIC GIZMOS, THE LAST PAGE ) I have posted some hardware pieces that are a part of the current puzzle.
11-20-2008 10:11 AM
dnataemil Offline

(10-14-2008 05:39 PM)alpha-dog Wrote:  If you remove U1a and U1B of the ZeroFossilFuel PWM and go into pin 9 of U1C with a dual-flipflop (7474) , maybe two of them from your rpm output you might knock the freq. down enough to work and still have current limiting.
Russ

How can I make a flip flop do you have a circuit?
10-11-2016 01:23 AM