Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Red stuff(Iron bloom)
hydrotinkerer Offline

Red stuff(Iron bloom)
I started out building a gen. everyone builds. 7 plates setup +nn-nn+ and later +nnnnn- in a pvc container. The plates used were just cheap switch plates(304 grade). The gen. worked great but generated a little heat. It would run about 120-135*F. Every week I would have to clean out the "red stuff" and it would be fine.

After 1 months I decided to put it to a stop. I took it apart and took the plates and built a dry cell. I set the plates up +nnnnn-. I run the dry cell for 1 months and no "red stuff" in my electrolite? The dry cell never gets over 100*F. I took the dry cell apart and put the plates back in my pvc container and bam the "red stuff" was back. I have put the plates back in the dry cell and it has been 3 weeks and no discoloration of the electrolite.

To take the as many variables out as possible I used the same electrolite in both generators. I just poured it through a paper towel and used it over.

My guess would be that the heat generated in the pvc gen. leeches the iron out of lower grade ss. I can only assume that a dry cell can be built using lower grade(not trash)ss.
10-30-2008 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ptours99 Offline

RE: Red stuff(Iron bloom)
hydrotinkerer Wrote:I started out building a gen. everyone builds. 7 plates setup +nn-nn+ and later +nnnnn- in a pvc container. The plates used were just cheap switch plates(304 grade). The gen. worked great but generated a little heat. It would run about 120-135*F. Every week I would have to clean out the "red stuff" and it would be fine.

After 1 months I decided to put it to a stop. I took it apart and took the plates and built a dry cell. I set the plates up +nnnnn-. I run the dry cell for 1 months and no "red stuff" in my electrolite? The dry cell never gets over 100*F. I took the dry cell apart and put the plates back in my pvc container and bam the "red stuff" was back. I have put the plates back in the dry cell and it has been 3 weeks and no discoloration of the electrolite.

To take the as many variables out as possible I used the same electrolite in both generators. I just poured it through a paper towel and used it over.

My guess would be that the heat generated in the pvc gen. leeches the iron out of lower grade ss. I can only assume that a dry cell can be built using lower grade(not trash)ss.
tinkerer,
that's some real good info for all of us to use great discovery.if you can keep the temp low no iron bloom.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
10-30-2008 12:59 PM
ipz2222 Offline

ptours99 Wrote:
hydrotinkerer Wrote:I started out building a gen. everyone builds. 7 plates setup +nn-nn+ and later +nnnnn- in a pvc container. The plates used were just cheap switch plates(304 grade). The gen. worked great but generated a little heat. It would run about 120-135*F. Every week I would have to clean out the "red stuff" and it would be fine.

tinkerer,
that's some real good info for all of us to use great discovery.if you can keep the temp low no iron bloom.
10-30-2008 03:37 PM
saltmine Offline

Iron bloom also depends on the quality of the stainless steel and the strength of the electrolyte solution.

My first dry cell had a set of very cheap stainless steel plates ( not the 18ga, 304 SS I normally use)
The solution turned red in a few days. Disassembly showed the contamination was iron bloom, which is easily wiped off of the plates.

My second dry cell uses 304 SS plates, (which I've been using all along) and has yet to discolor the solution.

Another item that could be causing iron bloom is the base in solution. If your KOH or NaOH isn't "reagent" grade, you will get contamination too.
10-30-2008 06:11 PM