Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running off alternator direct?
stevekos7 Offline

Running off alternator direct?
Hi All, I have seen advertised Hydro systems that run directly off the alternator (aparently). What are the pros and cons of this? Would it be possible to modulate the current from the alternator rather than modulating the DC current using a PWM? It seems a more direct approach. Would the natural pulsing of the AC current should work like a pulsing effect anyway?
07-02-2008 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CheezWiz Offline

RE: Running off alternator direct?
Electrolysis requires direct current.
07-02-2008 08:34 PM
stevekos7 Offline

CheezWiz Wrote:Electrolysis requires direct current.

That would explains it. Shows my newbiness doesn't it.
07-02-2008 08:46 PM
CheezWiz Offline

I am curious about the ones you have seen that run off of AC. Surely they just mean it runs off the cars electrical system..
07-02-2008 10:35 PM
prospector Offline

Most alternators I've seen for a while have the diode bridge inside the alternator housing which smooths the AC into the DC the car actually uses. It's not real easy to get into those housings to tap the right "AC" points. I wonder what they were up to. In fact, right at the alternator output should be a good place to get nice, fresh 12VDC!

Now if the HHO generator were subjected to a full-wave AC voltage, it would have it's electrodes swinging from positive to negative, to positive, with respect to each other. I haven't seen any experiment notes on what effect that would have on HHO production. Anybody else?
07-03-2008 11:15 PM
stevekos7 Offline

prospector Wrote:Most alternators I've seen for a while have the diode bridge inside the alternator housing which smooths the AC into the DC the car actually uses. It's not real easy to get into those housings to tap the right "AC" points. I wonder what they were up to. In fact, right at the alternator output should be a good place to get nice, fresh 12VDC!

Now if the HHO generator were subjected to a full-wave AC voltage, it would have it's electrodes swinging from positive to negative, to positive, with respect to each other. I haven't seen any experiment notes on what effect that would have on HHO production. Anybody else?

I thought that there might be some kind of rectifier you could use to smooth the AC to DC like an inverter or something. You can certainly get ones to turn 12v DC into 240v AC as used in Australia, or 110v as in US.
07-03-2008 11:23 PM
Nick_Greyden Offline

On the plus side, you could tap the AC, jump to a transformer, then step back to DC and have increased voltage... it's something I'm playing with. See my forthcomming post and feel free to rip my idea apart :-)
07-03-2008 11:57 PM
stevekos7 Offline

Nick_Greyden Wrote:On the plus side, you could tap the AC, jump to a transformer, then step back to DC and have increased voltage... it's something I'm playing with. See my forthcomming post and feel free to rip my idea apart :-)

I wonder whether with straight AC current you might get production anyway as the capacitance effect works to force production alternatively +- on each pole. It would mean that every microsecond you would have H developing on a pole then - on the same pole but eventually the gas would be freed as it builds up - both O and H off the same pole. Am I crazy or is this feasable?

I might just try it and see what happens.
07-04-2008 01:34 AM
prospector Offline

stevekos7 Wrote:... Am I crazy or is this feasable?

Hmmmm ...since electrical current is just 'uncommitted' electrons traveling from one atom to another (well, some say it's the series of 'voids' left by a traveling electron), seems like the water molecules wouldn't be much concerned which direction the electrons are coming from ...just that they're disrupting things. Once a Hydrogen atom is dislodged, it's not 'going home' that easily!

If any of you guys have a convenient setup to test full-wave AC, let us know what happens! If we don't hear from you again, we'll know you've stumbled upon an anti-matter device Shocked !
07-04-2008 10:43 AM
machinebuilder Offline

prospector Wrote:
stevekos7 Wrote:... Am I crazy or is this feasable?

Hmmmm ...since electrical current is just 'uncommitted' electrons traveling from one atom to another (well, some say it's the series of 'voids' left by a traveling electron), seems like the water molecules wouldn't be much concerned which direction the electrons are coming from ...just that they're disrupting things. Once a Hydrogen atom is dislodged, it's not 'going home' that easily!

If any of you guys have a convenient setup to test full-wave AC, let us know what happens! If we don't hear from you again, we'll know you've stumbled upon an anti-matter device Shocked !

I am brand new to this and do not have a browns gas generator yet but I think that I have devised a simple test.
Here is what I have in mind

Take a old battery charger and use it for a power supply for your existing browns gas generator.
Next get a package of balloons.

Attach a balloon to the gas outlet on the generator and operate the generator off the battery charger for a exact time period, say one miniute. Now the balloon should be partly inflated with gas.
Next wrap a tape meashure around the largest part of the balloon and measure it. This will give a referance point to compair things to.

Next unplug your battery charger and bypass the rectifier and you will have straight AC of a similar voltage to the DC from the first test.

Repeat the test with the battery charger now supplying AC voltage to your generator and again measure the balloon.

By doing this you should be able to see if the AC will produce more, the same amount or less gas than DC

You could also insert one diode in series with the AC supply to produce a pulesating DC and try testing that way

This could also be a cheep easy way to compair gas production using pulse with modulation.

In the next few weels I plan to build a generator and begin testing myself.
07-05-2008 10:36 AM