Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running without Scrubber
jbalat Offline

Running without Scrubber
Just wondering if it is save to run without a scrubber
I remember reading something about THE SMACK saying it is not really required

I was hoping just for a few weeks so I can do my testing and minimise any chances of leaks...

I have installed a large resevoir for my dry cell which doubles as a bubbler, but of course it is filled with electrolyte
04-21-2010 12:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
staugur Offline

RE: Running without Scrubber
(04-21-2010 12:16 AM)jbalat Wrote:  Just wondering if it is save to run without a scrubber
I remember reading something about THE SMACK saying it is not really required

I was hoping just for a few weeks so I can do my testing and minimise any chances of leaks...

I have installed a large resevoir for my dry cell which doubles as a bubbler, but of course it is filled with electrolyte

A large resevoir filled with electrolyte AND HHO is an accident waiting to happen.Keep a few jugs of vinegar handy because if you have a flashback you are going to need them.
04-21-2010 05:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

[/quote]
If by a scrubber you mean a bubbler you could run into problems. Say your cell overheats and you're producing little droplets of KOH solution which are being sucked into your engine. On the + side KOH reacts with aluminum to produce hydrogen which is what you want; on the - side the KOH is eating away at your piston, head, manifold, etc. If you ever have a flashback that reservoir of KOH solution will quickly eat through your a/c condenser and radiator. Now to be honest: I've been running a combo reservoir bubbler without a scrubber for about 9 months now with no problems whatever, but I'm not using KOH or NaOH as an electrolyte.
04-21-2010 04:15 PM
jbalat Offline

May I ask what you use as your electrolyte. Sounds intriguing ?

I will just run 1 tank to see if I get any savings.. Im sure my pistons can hold on for that ?
04-22-2010 01:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BobBoyce Offline

You can buy a whole house water filter housing, and a 1 micron filter element to fit it. Dampen the filter element, and put that filter housing inline with the gas flow from the booster to the engine. The desired flow direction is from the outside of the filter element to the inside of the filter element in order to maximize filter element life. It is good to put a little water in the bottom of the filter housing to keep the filter element damp, humidity in the gas flow should help as well. One of these filter assemblies should suffice to keep the engine safe, without a bubbler, in the smaller vehicles.

For longer life in larger vehicles, we usually use 2 of them in series. We use a 5 micron filter element in the first filter housing, then a 1 micron filter element in the second filter housing. The filter housings that we use have also been tested to withstand flashbacks, and the filter elements that we use do stop the flashbacks from reaching the cells. They are really thick and made out of a tough fiber.

Bob Boyce
04-22-2010 03:09 AM
thomasbala Offline

(04-22-2010 01:57 AM)jbalat Wrote:  May I ask what you use as your electrolyte. Sounds intriguing ?

I will just run 1 tank to see if I get any savings.. Im sure my pistons can hold on for that ?
Phosphoric acid
04-22-2010 07:31 AM