Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SS plates dissolving too fast
birchmark Offline

SS plates dissolving too fast
Any help folks. I am using table salt as my electrolyte. Maybe that is the issue? I find that my plates are dissolving quickly.

97 Isuzu Rodeo
2/3rds gallon water with teaspoon table salt
20 amps, 12 volts, 400 - 500 ml/ minute hot
O2 sensors are wrapped in tinfoil
original 18 mpg now 26 mpg
07-07-2008 03:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: SS plates dissolving too fast
Table salt is bad stuff. You need to change to sodium hydroxide (NaOh) or potassium hydroxide (KOh).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-07-2008 05:23 PM
birchmark Offline

colchiro Wrote:Table salt is bad stuff. You need to change to sodium hydroxide (NaOh) or potassium hydroxide (KOh).

I have heard people talking about NaOH (lye correct). I understand it is available in some drain cleaners. Is there an easy and safe source. I read the warnings on one drain cleaner and it made me want to stay with salt. Another concern, isnt NaOH corrosive to some engine parts?
07-07-2008 07:33 PM
skiers4ever Offline

Hi birchmark,

Lowes has it under the name of Roebic. Also, True Value has it but I can't remember the brand name. If you have a True Value, just look at the drain cleaner area and make sure you get 100% Sodium Hydroxide crystals. You can also find it online but it's cheaper in the stores. Don't use Draino as it contains other chemicals.

My understanding is the NaOH will damage aluminum, but, at the levels we use it and as the gas gets "scrubbed" by the Bubbler, that it is highly unlikely to damage anything. I use 1/6 to 1/8 of a teaspoon in 64 ounces of distilled water or rain water. I've actually got some on my hands and it's never done anything to them...even after 5 to 10 minutes. Just my 2 cents.

Take care, John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
07-07-2008 07:41 PM
jksav7 Offline

Like Rick said, salt is BAD news. NaOH and KOH is the only way to go. It won't damage your engine. Just make sure you have the bubbler inline to scrub the gas.

What is your plate size and configuration? It is possible you are running too much current through them, which will break them down prematurely.

birchmark Wrote:Any help folks. I am using table salt as my electrolyte. Maybe that is the issue? I find that my plates are dissolving quickly.

97 Isuzu Rodeo
2/3rds gallon water with teaspoon table salt
20 amps, 12 volts, 400 - 500 ml/ minute hot
O2 sensors are wrapped in tinfoil
original 18 mpg now 26 mpg
07-07-2008 10:53 PM
birchmark Offline

I appreciate all your responses.

My plate size is about 3 x 6 inches and I have four of them in an array. However, I do not know how to control the amount of electricity going through them -- or is this related to the amount of electrolyte I am using?

Question: what is so bad about salt?

I will look at true value to find the NaOH and install a bubbler
07-08-2008 04:40 AM
birchmark Offline

I also here alot about baking soda
07-08-2008 04:43 AM
jksav7 Offline

Ok. Now how do you have then wired to power?

Salt gives off chlorine gas when put under electrysis. Baking soda gives off carbon monoxide until the chemical change is complete. Then it is no longer baking soda, but NaOH. Both salt and baking soda will eat the plates. You can do a search on these forums to get more in depth info.

birchmark Wrote:My plate size is about 3 x 6 inches and I have four of them in an array.
07-08-2008 08:07 AM
birchmark Offline

I have a nylon screw holding the plates together with about an 1/8th inch separating each plate. S S bolts and nuts for the connections which run through my container. I have allegator clips attached to the bolt ends. Negative goes to ground on car body, positive goes to battery connection at the fuse box.

jksav7 Wrote:Ok. Now how do you have then wired to power?

Salt gives off chlorine gas when put under electrysis. Baking soda gives off carbon monoxide until the chemical change is complete. Then it is no longer baking soda, but NaOH. Both salt and baking soda will eat the plates. You can do a search on these forums to get more in depth info.

birchmark Wrote:My plate size is about 3 x 6 inches and I have four of them in an array.
07-08-2008 07:26 PM
ccfrjrg Offline

Birchmark,
I am new to all of this but I have been told that using the car's frame as a ground may not be the best thing to do. My understanding is that will damage the cell quicker than isolating the ground to the neg. terminal of the battery. Been trying to get clarification as to why but I am still waiting. If someone could clarify I would appercate it
07-09-2008 03:50 PM