Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sensor clarification please
glass-shard169 Offline

Sensor clarification please
I am going nuts here. It seems that my 1987 Nissan truck has a relatively advanced ECU on it and is now working against me when the Hydrolyzer is working. I actually got worse mileage for a while which confused me. I checked everything I could think of, and then read the codes off my computer only to discover that the 0/2 sensor error was triggered. I assume that it was reading rich and compensating by adding more fuel to the throttle body. This is what the articles on this website indicate anyway.

So, before I start messing with my truck and purchasing an EFIE for it, is there ANY OTHER sensors that I should be aware of??!! I am on the verge of calling this whole thing a bust. I am sick of jacking around with my truck so much. Purchasing a motorcycle sounds easier (AND it draws more female attention) Cool

1987 Nissan King Cab, 4x4, truck (D21 model), 3.0L V6 engine (VG30i model).
Types of sensors from the FSM descriptions:
1) an upstream 0/2 sensor made of ceramic titania reading 0 to 1 volt.
2) It also has a hotwire style air flow meter
3) Potentiometer style throttle sensor with varying output voltage (it also doubles as a hard/soft idle switch).
4) Factory cylinder head temp sensor that uses a thermsistor to read the temp
5) a mixture heater which atomizes fuel during cold starts.

There are a few other sensors, but I dont think they directly affect the stoichiometric ratio for the fuel.
06-22-2011 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Sensor clarification please
It would have been reading lean due to the HHO, then gone rich to compensate. What code did you get?

An EFIE is standard in working HHO installations. They are a vital part of any solution. Almost always, the EFIE is enough. You don't need a MAP or MAF enhancer except under unusual circumstances. If you want to understand the theory of what I'm saying, you should check out these docs. Start at the top of the list: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/documents

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-23-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glass-shard169 Offline

After going through a bunch of info on this website, which is very thorough by the way, I came to the same conclusion about it running lean. The computer code was a #33 for a Nissan D21 truck, which is the exhaust gas sensor. It is a narrow band type made of ceramic titania with four wires. The sensor is pretty usual, and reads from 0volts to 1volts. I have no idea where the mean is for the truck while in good operating order. It has never been replaced. The "el cheapo" replacement one for this truck is $150.00 bones all by itself. Bruce replied to my email and sent me the info on the dual digital EFIE that I need. So, now I am waiting until I can afford those next upgrades.

Here is the ironic part of this whole adventure: I used to get 13.25 to 13.65 Miles per gallon before the HHO install. I ran the HHO gas for a while, and my mileage never changed even thought the truck had more power. I shut down the hydrolyzer this last tank of gas because of the sensor code and "surprise!".........I got 15MPG!! The only thing I can figure is that the caustic HHO gas cleaned up the valves, pistons, and cylinders thus increasing my compression again. Ideas anyone? Confused
06-24-2011 08:37 PM
Gary Offline

While Mike is correct in saying that an EFIE is the standard for HHO installs, many of us were determined to get the lesser gains without electronics and staying legal. Our little Toyota 4banger did well on this at about 6-8 amps as I recall. But it wasn't enough gas to clean out the engine: pulling the head, it looked like black cornflakes everywhere.
My V8 Chevy is another story. At first, got a few mpg more running about 10-12a, then it tanked out. I began cable-flashing the ECU, and it would regain the mileage - at first. The more I flashed it, the worse it got until now it doesn't respond at all to HHO, so I believe either the short-term memory is messed up or it's gotten off the chart and can't find it's way back.
I get about 1mpg hwy less than I used to now, and about 2mpg city. With or without HHO. I am now experimenting with gas reformers and ammonia electrolytes. Thus far no results, but others have shown promise. I just hope my ECU isn't so messed up that I miss something that works.
06-25-2011 05:40 AM