Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sequence of turning enhancers on
HHOe Offline

Question Sequence of turning enhancers on
I was wondering if anybody know FOR SURE in what sequence to turn on MAP enhancer and EFIE. What I've been doing is turning the vehicle on (generators turn on too), waiting for the ECU to go into closed loop mode and waiting a couple of minutes and then turning on my MAP and EFIE.

Now that it has been a little warmer, I've noticed my mileage go up quite a bit. I have a Warm/Hot air intake and the grill blocked for the winter. I've noticed now that it is warmer, ECU goes into (always when I am coasting and in idle) open loop and I have to turn up the resistance on the MAP to bring it back to closed loop. Of course this ends up causing pinging and i have to turn the MAP resistance down to get rid of it.

I need to know if anyone else has had the same experience with this. It's driving me nuts and I really don't want to give up. Currently, this tank is going to be my best tank yet I have over 320 mile with this tank and have plenty to go. I'm optimistic because of the fact that i had 2 cold days with this tank and the mileage went down for those 2 days as opposed to the usual good but not as great cold mileage (Basicly reinforcing what was going on with my mileage)

I also have the problem of my truck stalling and stuttering during idle. It seems once my truck throws a CEL and I clear it, it goes away.

So, am I doing this crap right? Am I doing it in the right sequence. Should I just let the ECU go into open loop during Idle or should i adjust the MAP until it goes into closed loop and when accelerating, adjust it back? Arrg.

Thank you anybody who replies.

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
04-17-2009 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Sequence of turning enhancers on
If you have Mike's efie, it takes about 5 minutes for it to reach the set-point, depending on the temp of the unit (in the winter could take longer) to prevent cold start issues. Turning your efie on with your cell should work ok, since both take a while to get up to speed.

When used with an efie, I usually recommend setting a map adjuster to a low level, like any other sensor mod, ie, to effect about a 10% change in the setting (or maybe 1/4 turn or less) and leave it there and use the efie to tweak it further. Many people try to crank the map too high and that causes problems.

Do you throw a cel without the map adjuster?

Have you had the cel read so you know what the problem is?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-17-2009 01:41 PM
HHOe Offline

(04-17-2009 01:41 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Do you throw a cel without the map adjuster?

Have you had the cel read so you know what the problem is?

I haven't tried but I'm sure I will because my ECU goes into open loop with the EFIE on. I'm using about a .180 offset. I've found increasing the MAP sensor signal resistance puts it back into closed loop. Now, with warmer weather, I find a have to increase the resistance much more. Should I have my MAP enhancer on before I start my truck so the ECU sees the value and I can keep the ECU in closed loop?

Thank you for the reply

22-23 before
27-33 after
04-17-2009 05:28 PM
colchiro Offline

That doesn't make sense that the MAP would put it back into closed loop. Both are trying to tell the ecu it's ok to go leaner and it sounds like the MAP might be doing the opposite. Are you sure it's the right type and wired correctly?

If 180 mv offset is causing problems, either it's set too high or you have an under-performing cell.

Bear in mind, depending how far north you are, many gas stations change to spring blend this time of the year, which tends to increase your mileage.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-17-2009 06:00 PM
HHOe Offline

(04-17-2009 06:00 PM)colchiro Wrote:  That doesn't make sense that the MAP would put it back into closed loop. Both are trying to tell the ecu it's ok to go leaner and it sounds like the MAP might be doing the opposite. Are you sure it's the right type and wired correctly?

If 180 mv offset is causing problems, either it's set too high or you have an under-performing cell.

Bear in mind, depending how far north you are, many gas stations change to spring blend this time of the year, which tends to increase your mileage.

yeah, I have it wired correctly. Two ways I know is that: 1. I have scangauge and can see the actual numbers for the MAP and when I turn it on, the MPG increase drasticly ( scangauge is calibrated for when the map is on) and: 2. When I turn my map up too high, then engine pings the valves.

This is the one problem I've had for quite some time right now. Unfortunately, every vehicle is different in the sense that each ECU is custom to that vehicle. I do know for a fact, though, adjusting the MAP higher puts it back into closed loop. I've left the map off (normal reading) and saw that it was EFIE causing open loop. I then started the MAP enhancer at the lowest setting and slowly increased resistance until I went into closed loop. On warmer days I have to increase the resistance much more. Especially with my WAI, IAT reads around 100*F.

Is it common for people who set their EFIEs too high to go into open loop? If so, have they noticed the MAP (if they have one) has an effect on going back to closed loop?

22-23 before
27-33 after
04-17-2009 06:17 PM
colchiro Offline

It's very common to go into open loop with the efie set too high. Sometimes it throws a code, sometimes not, depends on the vehicle. If too high, the ecu figures it can't trust it so ignores it and goes into open loop.

Bear in mind, changing a map or maf (maybe even your efie), throws your SG calibration off until you refill with gas. I hope you're also checking your mpg with a calculator when you fill.

I haven't seen any mention of what you notice with your map. I had a modded MAF in a previous vehicle. I did crank it up one time and got a fantastic mileage increase on my SG until I filled and found out it wasn't the case.

Rick

04-18-2009 05:48 AM
HHOe Offline

It's unfortunate you did not know MAP throws the ECU back into closed loop. Sorry it does not make any sense to you. I have been away from this site for a long time.

If you dont know, it's okay. You don't have to give me answers to silly noob mistakes. I appreciate your responses just don't dismiss something (with a silly answer) because you don't understand what I'm asking.
This may be a reason why other s10's/sanomas are not seeing much gain. I'd like to figure it out. I'm sure there are many other factors involved and maybe you where trying to cover the basics.

22-23 before
27-33 after
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2009 06:52 AM by HHOe.)
04-18-2009 06:44 AM
Aat Yuli Offline

Hello everyone, I'm newcomer from Indonesia, Just sharing : I'm using hydrocarbon cracking system for increase power and saving fuel, this equipment suitable for gasoline and diesel, this system already tested with dinotest, also compare with HHO, Magnetic, or fuel ionizer, the result of exhaust is water and steam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbTlWY26yw

Want to try "" More power less fuel""
A'at
01-19-2010 08:47 PM