Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Service Check Engine Light On (P2A00)
charlie_rivera1 Offline

Service Check Engine Light On (P2A00)
I just installed an HHO system in my 2006 Altima Nissan. I followed all the instructions but I'm having code P2A00 code, which means that the car is either running rich or lean. I have the dual EFIE and have my upstream wide band sensor at 3/8 turn and the down stream narrow sensor at 0.250. When I first installed it, I got an impressive 25% gain, but then I got this code that is playing with me.
I also logged into my AutoTap software a run without HHO ON and the interesting thing is that my narrow sensor is reading high in the .800 mV while the wide band is around the .300 mV. This does not make sense based on the .450mV that I have read in order to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.
With my HHO ON I'm getting pretty much the same on the wide band sensor but no more than .300 mV on the narrow band sensor. This is where the code comes and start loosing all the gain.
Also, Is it normal to feel the distilled water with KOH kind of slippery, like a soap?
02-01-2011 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Service Check Engine Light On (P2A00)
This is nothing to worry about. Basically you need to tweak your EFIE some more until you get max fuel mileage gain, but without triggering a CEL. The numbers that are being given to you by the scan tool are not actual voltages. They are some kind of interpreted number. The actual voltages are all over the scale.

I would first try leaving the front EFIE alone and see if raising the rear EFIE will do the trick. Clear the current code, and try both raising and lowering the rear EFIE by 50 mv. See which one brings the CEL back faster, or even gets it to stay off. If no joy, then drop that front sensor to about 1/4 or even less. Really you just want to find a setting that the car will hold without triggering a CEL. Then you can gradually increase those settings to get better mileage.

Re the water: Yes, it is. KOH is one of the main ingredients of soap, and feels slippery in water. I would get it rinsed off right away though. That stuff can burn.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-01-2011 10:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
charlie_rivera1 Offline

Thanks a lot Mike for the information and the quick response. Going down won't do the trick. I have already tried this option and the code comes quicker. I will go up from .25mv that I have it now in increments of .050 like you recommended and see which one does the trick. I'll keep you post it.
02-02-2011 03:53 PM
charlie_rivera1 Offline

Mike, I did go above .250 V on my narrow back sensor in steps of .030 V and kept having the P2A00 code until I reached .340 in which the code changed to P0138, which is high voltage on sensor. What can I do? Does it mean that I need to back off from the current 3/8 turn on my front wide sensor? By the way, I cleared the code on every adjustment made.
02-04-2011 03:13 PM
mike Offline

Yes, that's the next step. Back off on the front sensor adjustment. I would take it all the way down to 1/8, and maybe 150 mv on the rear. Lets just get a setting that the ECU will accept, and build it up from there. Its easier to start at a known good setting and increase it, than to start at a bad setting and decrease it.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-04-2011 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
charlie_rivera1 Offline

Mike, I backed off like you told me to but I got the same P2A00 code. Then, I went back to 1/4 turn on my wide band sensor and .200 mV on my back narrow sensor and disconnected the battery for 30 mins or more to totally reset the car computer. I also checked my HHO generation and found it kind of low, close to 1 liter/min but not there. I added more KOH in order to draw 15 - 16 Amps and now I'm getting 1.5 liters/min. Since these changes, I've been driving for two days now with no code at all. Hopefully, no more issues to post. Your product is excellent. Thank you
02-07-2011 07:59 AM
mike Offline

Thank you. You're not quite done yet, though. You'll want to tweak those settings up to get your best mileage. I would make 1 tweak at each tankful after you have calculated your mileage. As long as the mileage improves, keep tweaking in the same direction. Obviously, if you tweak too far, you'll get a CEL again, and that just means you have to back off again. Your best mileage will probably be just shy of the point where your CEL comes on.

Tweak the front sensor(s) first, then do the rear ones too.

It sounds kinda complex, but really you should just have a few more tweaks to do, after your next few fill ups.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-07-2011 10:59 AM
charlie_rivera1 Offline

Mike, I ended my first tank after changes were made. I'm right now having the front wide sensor set at close to 3/8 turn and the back narrow sensor at 0.285 since I got the P2A00 code once again. At 0.285 it went away and haven't had it again since then. My car is a 2006 Nissan 2.5L Altima with a 20 gallons tank size. I filled it up once again with 17.56 gallons with 596 miles in total per odometer. This comes to a 33.94 MPG. This included some city as well as highway runs. Normally I was getting 28 MPG on this car before the HHO. This is a 21.2% gain. I did not change the way I was driving to really compare apples to apples. Thank you for the support. I will let this second tank with no changes to make sure the code has gone for ever and then continue tweaking the sensors.
02-10-2011 04:38 PM
mike Offline

Ok. Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know what your HHO Gen can do, but I would like to see you up around 33% increase before you're done. If the HHO system is sized correctly for your engine, you should be able to achieve that.

But I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-10-2011 06:36 PM
charlie_rivera1 Offline

I have an 11 plate 4X4 generator from hho2u.com. You should know about them since they promote your product. I can put as many as 1.5 liter per min.
02-11-2011 01:11 PM