Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
'Service Engine Soon' on 1999 Saturn SL1
gordonb Offline

'Service Engine Soon' on 1999 Saturn SL1
Sad I'm having a problem. Can you help with it?

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1, and it has two O2 sensors (one upstream and one downstream). I bought the Single Basic EFIE Circuit Board, so I hooked it up to the upstream O2 sensor (red to power from a 10 Amp fuse with a 5 Amp inline fuse, green to O2 sensor, white to computer, and black to frame ground). I didn't change the jumper settings. I have adjusted the pot to 190 milivolts, 170 milivolts, and now to 150 milivolts, and at all three settings, after clearing the codes, the 'Service Engine Soon' light comes back on and I continue to get the same two errors: P0134 - "02 Sensor CKT No Activity (Bank1, Sensor1)" AND P0130 - "O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank1, Sensor1)".

What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to lower the milivolts more, or do I need the double EFIE Circuit Board?
Thanks.
07-08-2008 04:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: 'Service Engine Soon' on 1999 Saturn SL1
Sounds like you need to apply some of the tactics found in Mike's "tuning for mileage" article.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html
07-08-2008 08:11 AM
mike Offline

jksav7 Wrote:Sounds like you need to apply some of the tactics found in Mike's "tuning for mileage" article.

Maybe so. But I've had too many problems show up on these Saturn o2 sensors. I'm starting to get suspicious of them.

Is this a 1-wire oxygen sensor? Just curious. Anyway, try turning down even further until you get the code to not be thrown. Then find out what your gas mileage is. It may be that these Saturns just need much lower values. If not, we'll debug this further.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
07-08-2008 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

I have to admit that my '96 Saturn is tough to "crack". I have one one-wire pre-cat sensor. Even at 150 millivolts (EFIE) the engine runs really rough (when first starting up). It settles down as I drive it, but I can tell something's still not right. At 250 millivolts the problem is much more pronounced, and I get a code. Still testing. I may have to try 50-100 millivolts, but I doubt I'll see any gains because I haven't at 150 millivolts either.
07-08-2008 09:30 AM
gordonb Offline

mike Wrote:
jksav7 Wrote:Sounds like you need to apply some of the tactics found in Mike's "tuning for mileage" article.

Maybe so. But I've had too many problems show up on these Saturn o2 sensors. I'm starting to get suspicious of them.

Is this a 1-wire oxygen sensor? Just curious. Anyway, try turning down even further until you get the code to not be thrown. Then find out what your gas mileage is. It may be that these Saturns just need much lower values. If not, we'll debug this further.

Yes it's a 1-wire sensor, and I'm also suspicious of the Saturn's o2 sensors, and the computer itself for that matter. I've got a reasonably good supply of HHO gas (consistantly .5 plus litres/min) and I should notice more of an increase in MPG than I'm getting (only 5%-10%). I'll try adjusting down further as you suggest. Thanks!
07-08-2008 09:43 AM
gordonb Offline

I'll go over the document carefully to see what I may be missing.
Thanks!
07-08-2008 09:45 AM
mike Offline

If either of you feel you find a good solution, PM me. I want to know about it. These Saturns have been popping up on my radar, and I want to know how best to handle them so other guys have an easier time of it than you 2 have had.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
07-08-2008 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

I did notice a few months ago that putting a resistor (don't remember the value) over the IATS gave me an extra 2 mpg. But I didn't have the EFIE at the time use in conjuction with it. I will test it again later.

I've heard success stories of people getting good gains from their Saturns. In one case it was with the use of an EFIE (I think OBDI). The other case was on a OBDI (some form of EFIE installed) and hydroxy being run into the intake manifold vacuum.

Also, I think the type of gas that is being used plays a huge part. I live in Minnesota, where the gas is E10 AND oxygenated. This stuff is crap. However, I will eventually do a test on two of my vehicles, running non-oxygenated gas for a full tank with the booster and EFIE running to get a comparison.

mike Wrote:If either of you feel you find a good solution, PM me. I want to know about it. These Saturns have been popping up on my radar, and I want to know how best to handle them so other guys have an easier time of it than you 2 have had.
07-08-2008 11:22 AM
hydrodine Offline

My 98 saturn sl1 has had no gains, more loss in mileage then anything. My cell is a true series cell mounted in the trunk because of the size, it puts out 1.2 lpm at 9 amps hot and runs at a 105 degrees, i used 304 stainless and have no red mud. i use koh for the electrolyte. Have a single efi installed and not one mile gained. Car runs like shit with the efi hooked up. I dont think this crap works with OBD II.
07-08-2008 04:42 PM
itslone Offline

I also am looking for a solution for the saturns. I have a 1996 and no permanent gains. Has others noticed if their O2 sensors read at steady voltage (that changes when accelerated) rather than the pulsing voltage (that changes when accelerated)?
07-09-2008 07:06 AM