Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Single Basic EFIE Output Voltage Too High
gmythx Offline

Single Basic EFIE Output Voltage Too High
Just hooked up my single basic EFIE to my 98 Corolla. With the EFIE off the voltage on the O2 sensor wire seems to fluctuate very little (.380-.425 volts). With the EFIE turned on the voltage measured between the white wire (red test lead) and ground jumps to 2.6 volts!? and the engine's rmps double at idle. When the EFIE is turned off the meter drops back down between .380 and .425 volts.

Do I have the EFIE hooked to the right wire for the O2 sensor? Am I getting the right readings for this to be the right wire running from the O2 sensor? And if so, why does the voltage shoot up to over 2 volts when I turn on the EFIE? Do I need to see if I can adjust the range of the EFIE?

Any help is appreciated.
07-27-2008 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EdGe7 Offline

RE: Single Basic EFIE Output Voltage Too High
You and I pretty much have the same board, mine is just not coated.

My first question to you would be is, what is your EFIE offset? In order to get the offset, make sure the EFIE is powered on and connect your multi meter leads to the green and white wires. So the black lead to the white wire and the red lead to the green wire. I forget which one is positive, so if your voltage displays negative then just switch the leads.

- E.J.

"The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits."
07-28-2008 10:16 AM
gmythx Offline

EdGe7 Wrote:You and I pretty much have the same board, mine is just not coated.

My first question to you would be is, what is your EFIE offset? In order to get the offset, make sure the EFIE is powered on and connect your multi meter leads to the green and white wires. So the black lead to the white wire and the red lead to the green wire. I forget which one is positive, so if your voltage displays negative then just switch the leads.

Well my DVM (DMM) has two settings DCV and 10 MegOhm Input DCV. When I use just DCV then I get 0.222 volts, but when I use the 10 MegOhm Input DCV then I get over 2.0 volts. It seems that the 10 MegOhm Input DCV is the accurate reading. Switching the DVM to just the DCV setting causes the engine to sound normal, but when I remove the DVM it goes back to double the RPMs just like when the DVM is using the 10 MegOhm Input DCV reading. This is all with the red lead from the DVM connected to the white wire of the EFIE and the black lead connected to the green wire.
07-28-2008 11:22 AM
colchiro Offline

gmythx, it sounds like the range adjustment pots have been changed and the correct range needs to be reestablished. This is covered in the following: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/RangeAdjust.html

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-28-2008 03:00 PM
EdGe7 Offline

colchiro Wrote:gmythx, it sounds like the range adjustment pots have been changed and the correct range needs to be reestablished. This is covered in the following: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/RangeAdjust.html

I thought Range was discontinued on later EFIEs. My EFIE came without a range adjuster.

- E.J.

"The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits."
07-28-2008 07:30 PM
EdGe7 Offline

gmythx Wrote:

Well my DVM (DMM) has two settings DCV and 10 MegOhm Input DCV. When I use just DCV then I get 0.222 volts, but when I use the 10 MegOhm Input DCV then I get over 2.0 volts. It seems that the 10 MegOhm Input DCV is the accurate reading. Switching the DVM to just the DCV setting causes the engine to sound normal, but when I remove the DVM it goes back to double the RPMs just like when the DVM is using the 10 MegOhm Input DCV reading. This is all with the red lead from the DVM connected to the white wire of the EFIE and the black lead connected to the green wire.

I sure would like to see a picture of your multimeter. I would tend to believe that the .222 volts reading is more accurate if infact that is your offset reading. You are not trying to measure any ohm readings with the EFIE offset when measuring the volts off of your O2 sensor.

Post a pic of your multimeter.

- E.J.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2008 07:38 PM by EdGe7.)
07-28-2008 07:34 PM
gmythx Offline

EdGe7 Wrote:
gmythx Wrote:

I sure would like to see a picture of your multimeter. I would tend to believe that the .222 volts reading is more accurate if infact that is your offset reading. You are not trying to measure any ohm readings with the EFIE offset when measuring the volts off of your O2 sensor.

Here is a picture of my DVM....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-29-2008 09:43 AM
gmythx Offline

colchiro Wrote:gmythx, it sounds like the range adjustment pots have been changed and the correct range needs to be reestablished. This is covered in the following: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/RangeAdjust.html

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my EFIE and even though it is covered in a blue coating I tought I could see another pot screw. I trimmed the covering away enough to see that in fact it is a screw. I will look into attempting to adjust it via the Range Adjust document.
07-29-2008 09:46 AM
gmythx Offline

EdGe7 Wrote:
gmythx Wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I am going to attempt to adjust the range with the other pot screw I found on the EFIE circuit. I looked on http://www.iequus.com and found that they suggest using the 10 MegOhm DCV setting for automotive circuits, so I guess I am getting too much offset.
07-29-2008 09:51 AM
gmythx Offline

Well, I have more information. I hooked my EFIE up to a DC power supply and set the input to 12V. I then measured the voltage offset between the white and green wires. I adjusted the range pot and the offset pot to get an offset of 0.200 volts. I then hooked up the EFIE to the O2 sensor wire (I think/thought it is the O2 sensor wire). I turned on the engine and watched the voltage on the wire start around 0.800 volts cold and as the car warmed up the voltage dropped to around 0.400 volts. It fluctuated between 0.360 volts and 0.425 volts. I then turned the EFIE on using the DC power supply and the voltage of the offset jumped to around 4.0 volts!? I hooked up the EFIE to a switch on the car running to my HHO generator instead of the DC power supply and I get the same thing. While the car is off I can adjust the EFIE to an offset of 0.200 volts and it stays at that offset voltage until I turn on the car. When the car and the EFIE are on the offset voltage and the voltage going to the ECU from the EFIE is over 4.0 volts!? Any ideas? Do I maybe have the wrong wire and not the wire from the O2 sensor? When the EFIE is on and goes way up the car engine starts racing.

Do I have the wrong wire? Is my EFIE not working right? Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

Any help is appreciated.
07-29-2008 08:22 PM