Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Single wire O2
koya1893 Offline

Single wire O2
I recently ran into a good buy on a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme with V-6 2.8, 195K miles on it. I am inducing 1.5 to it 20A, the car ran like someone was trying to make a martini in the engine bay. After 2 minutes of the 1.5 lpm even the worn out engine mount came to a silky smooth posture. I replaced the O2 and installed an O2 extender. After three test run on mix driving the average mpg was 31 mpg. The car ran so well even at 40mph I was able to ride 5th gear. My question is: which EFIE should I use to control the single wire to get better result. Am I at the best it can get?

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2010 04:11 PM by koya1893.)
05-24-2010 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Single wire O2
(05-24-2010 04:10 PM)koya1893 Wrote:  I recently ran into a good buy on a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme with V-6 2.8, 195K miles on it. I am inducing 1.5 to it 20A, the car ran like someone was trying to make a martini in the engine bay. After 2 minutes of the 1.5 lpm even the worn out engine mount came to a silky smooth posture. I replaced the O2 and installed an O2 extender. After three test run on mix driving the average mpg was 31 mpg. The car ran so well even at 40mph I was able to ride 5th gear. My question is: which EFIE should I use to control the single wire to get better result. Am I at the best it can get?

I don't think so. You should be able to do better. It sounds like you have symptoms of rich air/fuel ratio going there, so the EFIE should be able to translate some of that into fuel mileage for you. I would use the Quad on it. It has the digital EFIE that should give you the best possible results. I would take the extender off. It doesn't actually do anything and will cause an early failure of your new sensor.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-24-2010 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

Mike,
You are talking about the Digital Quad EFIE. The model that handles four O2, the front O2 digitally and analog for the rear. Isn't that a bit much for one single wire O2. Do you have one that handles just one O2 digitally? I am using the Quad now on several application including a F-450 with V-10.
05-25-2010 05:28 PM
mike Offline

Yes, perhaps. Perhaps not.

But as I understood it, you already had an analog EFIE on it, and your question was, how can you do better than that. The way to improve on an analog (or voltage adding) type of EFIE is to use the digital EFIE. It is a superior technology. So its the only answer to your question that I know of. At this time, the digital EFIE only comes in that one format. Is it worth the $40 more? That's, of course, for you to say.

The other advantage to using the Quad is this: Any car that has only one sensor is probably quite old. The EFIE will outlast the car. Any new car you get will very likely be post '96. That means a minimum of 2 sensors. The Quad will work an nearly any vehicle and the single EFIE will need additional expense to move to another car. So that's another point to consider.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-25-2010 08:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

NO, I do not have an EFIE on this car. I installed an O2 extender with a new O2 and got great result 31mpg. This car is only rated 20mpg on mixed driving as per the fueleconomy.gov I'll go ahead and install the Quad on it using the digital side. Do you have any recommendation where to start with the mv's?
05-26-2010 05:26 AM
mike Offline

I usually start at about 300 mv or so and go down from there. The installation instructions give more detail on setting it. They are available here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieIns...gital.html . I recommend taking out the extender. It can cause an early failure of your sensor. You shouldn't notice any difference in mileage, and the EFIE will do the job fully for you anyway.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-26-2010 08:07 AM