Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow EFIE
Atom Offline

Slow EFIE
In the morning my EFIE takes over 10 minutes to get up to my set values and on a 20 minute comute I'm losing cost saving time.
In the afternoon it takes only a couple of minutes to get up to set values. I know that it has to do with cool mornings and warm afternoons and the temp of the EFIE. It says in documents that I can change the heater in this, but how will this affect in the afternoon.
07-14-2008 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
randolphoralph Offline

RE: Slow EFIE
Atom Wrote:In the morning my EFIE takes over 10 minutes to get up to my set values and on a 20 minute comute I'm losing cost saving time.
In the afternoon it takes only a couple of minutes to get up to set values. I know that it has to do with cool mornings and warm afternoons and the temp of the EFIE. It says in documents that I can change the heater in this, but how will this affect in the afternoon.

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have about a 30 minute commute. I wonder if there is any adverse effects to making it heat up quicker. Can the additional heat cause the circuit to malfunction or burn up?
07-15-2008 09:01 AM
rpatzer Offline

I am just wondering where you guys have your EFIE installed. Running off the O2 signal wire it should reach operating temp/operating function w/i 2 minutes. Something is not right here. Your cars should go from open to closed circut 2 min, the same should hold for the EFIE function.
The EFIE is solid state and should be affected by temp. Summer temps should have no bearing on its function.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2008 09:22 AM by rpatzer.)
07-15-2008 09:21 AM
randolphoralph Offline

rpatzer Wrote:I am just wondering where you guys have your EFIE installed. Running off the O2 signal wire it should reach operating temp/operating function w/i 2 minutes. Something is not right here. Your cars should go from open to closed circut 2 min, the same should hold for the EFIE function.
The EFIE is solid state and should be affected by temp. Summer temps should have no bearing on its function.

I have mine installed on the O2 Signal Wire. The EFIE unit itself is inside the cab of my truck. The EFIE's voltage will take up to 10 minutes for the voltage to reach its peak. It may start operating sooner than the 10 minutes but the peak voltage takes longer than 2 minutes.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2008 09:46 AM by randolphoralph.)
07-15-2008 09:44 AM
rpatzer Offline

This is still not making sense. The O2 sensor heats up w/i 1-2 minutes, so should the EFIE since it is on the same wire.
How long does it take for you to go from open to closed circuit?
07-15-2008 11:32 AM
randolphoralph Offline

rpatzer Wrote:This is still not making sense. The O2 sensor heats up w/i 1-2 minutes, so should the EFIE since it is on the same wire.
How long does it take for you to go from open to closed circuit?

How do I tell when it is in open or closed circuit?

Based on Mike's instruction's http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html

"It can take up to 10 minutes or more for the voltage changes to completely settle down." (It also appears to take about 10 minutes for the voltage to reach the preset voltage when the vehicle starts)
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2008 12:27 PM by randolphoralph.)
07-15-2008 11:54 AM
rpatzer Offline

Do you have a Scanguage? Do you have an AFR meter? What vehicle do you have? Are you married? If it takes you that long to get to closed circuit, then you are running rich. It shouldn't be that way. BTW- Only the first 3 question are relevant.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2008 12:50 PM by rpatzer.)
07-15-2008 12:49 PM
randolphoralph Offline

rpatzer Wrote:Do you have a Scanguage? Do you have an AFR meter? What vehicle do you have? Are you married? If it takes you that long to get to closed circuit, then you are running rich. It shouldn't be that way. BTW- Only the first 3 question are relevant.

No Scangauge.
No AFR Meter
2001 Chevy Tahoe
Yes, married
1 kid on the way, 5 dogs, my blood type is A positive, my social security is ........LOL

I am using a HHO cell with a MAP Enhancer, and Dual Deluxe EFIE
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2008 12:59 PM by randolphoralph.)
07-15-2008 12:53 PM
rpatzer Offline

I see that you have a 4-wire sensor. I would call the manufacturer and tell them you want to hook up an AFR meter, Which wire is it? That is the same the EFIE taps into. You should also be able to tell with a volt meter, it will "hunt" between .1-.9 V.
Also, when you find the right O2 signal wire, on first start up, your volt meter should peg at full voltage and then shortly go to closed circuit and start hunting.
07-15-2008 01:02 PM
randolphoralph Offline

It is on the purple wire which is the signal wire.
07-15-2008 01:59 PM